Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a hat a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìBogie?¢‚Ǩ?

dopey

One of the Regulars
What makes a hat a “Bogie�

I have a pretty good idea of what people mean when they are referring to an Indy hat. What do you mean when you refer to a “Bogie� hat, in terms of crown, brim, bash, taper, etc.?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Dopey -- I have a "Bogart" fedora in black from Village Hat Shop here in San Diego.

Here is a link: http://www.villagehatshop.com/vhs_biltmore_bogart.html

If I have left out a dot or dash and it doesn't display, go to a search engine and type in Village Hat Shop and you can get the website. The Bogart is in the VHS collection and is made by Biltmore.

There are other hat stores that have a "Bogie" style hat. How close they are to the one he wore in, say, The Maltese Falcon, I don't know. I think he probably wore somewhat different fedoras in his movies.

Has anyone ever done an analysis of Bogie's fedoras in his many movies as they have done for the three Indiana Jones pictures (and, in one, frame-by-frame)?

karol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
good pictures of "Bogie" hats

There is a guy called MK who has good shots of Bogart's hats in "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca" at thegoldenera.net.
Definately a good site to check out. The hat section is under "Apparel" but take your time and check the whole site.

Yours etc.,
The Wolf

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Well, what makes a real Bogie hat is that there's a guy named Bogie underneath it. Barring that, however, Bogart's fedoras tended to be dark (dark grey or black), stovepipe (meaning no taper in the crown, like Italian or quasi-Italian hats), and fairy narrow brim -- probably 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch. Remember, the real Bogie was short and slightly built so he didn't need an umbrella brim. While they aren't high quality, the best likeness to the kind of hat seen in "The Maltese Falcon" or "The Big Sleep" is the Golden Gate "Chicago."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR