Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Makes You Choose One Decade Over Another?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Rosie said:
I wonder if there were a group of people 60+ years ago complaining about the horrible fashion of their time, looking back to an era they found more pleasing.

Definitely they were. We girls are always hounded by fashion, whether we're debating the merits of the latest roman toga or deciding to raise our skirts above the ankle! It never stops, but that's why women are cool - we can cope under pressure. lol

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I love the 1930s and early ‘40s, but certainly not the Hollywood version of those days. As some of the gals mentioned earlier, the societal depiction in the early years by publishers and film execs was – at best - disgusting (some would argue it still is, but that’s another story).

But I’m an activist, so when I see old footage from the ‘30s and early ‘40s of women and people of color picketing and leading struggles, I can’t help but get fired up. I guess that wearing wide-legged trousers and a scarf on my head is sort of my way of paying homage to those wonderful sisters of the past.

My political organization was in one of it’s heydays in the 1930s, and our archives highlight the much ignored Black and female struggles of the early years of the last century. I’ve seen so many photos of gorgeous women activists sporting wide-legged trousers, and women political theoreticians laying it out for the masses! Those are the people who inspire me – wardrobe included – the most.

Ironically, I also wear a lot of 1950s clothing, but you would be making a great understatement if you said that I’m less than a fan of that decade. I also wear some 1960s clothing because I really love that era. I think I may have the entire collection of 1960s Sidney Poitier films, which occassionally inspire me to bouffant my hair and wear long clutch coats.

Diahann Carroll’s wardrobe in Sidney Poitier's "Paris Blues" is to die for! If you haven't seen the movie - rent it! The wardrobes are spectacular!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love the 40's and early 50's. I have always been a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, and thankfully, that style of attire fits very nicely on me :) I love clothes that are tailored and dresses that are sleek.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Just one mug of coffee for two? You might give each other some horrible '30s disease for which there was then no cure. ;)

Ah, but then we could reinvent a new wave of penicilin and be quids in! But before decanting to the laboratory I'd have to agree yet again with MysteryGal. There are some gorgeous 30s fashions, a la the New York company (I'll check and make sure I posted them), but the 40s 50s have got it for me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I guess we'll just have to share that cup of coffee three-ways! :) ...I'll let you guys take all the credit for inventing the penicillen though ;)

colleency

One of the Regulars
Huge topic!

I don't wear vintage daily, and I think that makes a difference. Costume-wise, "my" period is 1845-1955.

However, my first and best love is the 1940's, because I'm hourglass-shaped. I love the fact that clothes in the 1940's were fitted...they don't make me look pregnant! (I'm currently making a 1920's dress, and I'm having a bear of a time getting a flat enough look for the period.)

On the race issue, I've always felt lucky to be able to choose my period without a care. I've had friends limited in historical recreation by their race, and it's a difficult subject. Do you go for historical accuracy, go for the pretty dress, or find the person who was breaking the mold (if there was one) and reenact them?

House-wise, I've lived in a painted lady, a Spanish revival, and postwar housing. I think I'd love to settle into a craftsman bungalow (had I the money).

The cars I adore are from the 1930s, round and long.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
colleency said:
Huge topic!
On the race issue, I've always felt lucky to be able to choose my period without a care. I've had friends limited in historical recreation by their race, and it's a difficult subject. Do you go for historical accuracy, go for the pretty dress, or find the person who was breaking the mold (if there was one) and reenact them?

House-wise, I've lived in a painted lady, a Spanish revival, and postwar housing. I think I'd love to settle into a craftsman bungalow (had I the money).

The cars I adore are from the 1930s, round and long.

See, thats the thing I think hinders a real recreation of that time. We can honor it, almost romantically what we like about it, but we are always (hopefully) gonna put a modern view of tolerance on it with respect to the treatment, and acceptance of people today.

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
But I’m an activist, so when I see old footage from the ‘30s and early ‘40s of women and people of color picketing and leading struggles, I can’t help but get fired up. I guess that wearing wide-legged trousers and a scarf on my head is sort of my way of paying homage to those wonderful sisters of the past.

I know exactly how you feel. There was such a disparity between societal image and "real life" and we need to concentrate on bringing the forgotten "real life" to the forefront, as it deserves. In a library book I just saw (forgot to bring it home, will do next time) for example, there was a 1936 or '37 photo of a Harlem women's association marching down 125th St (?) in NYC staging an anti-Hitler demonstration! (at a time when most Americans thought Hitler was probably a great guy). Is this the image we get from the movies and mags of the time!? Er, no.
{OT, sorry...back to topic...}

Dragonia

New in Town
I was going to say that I'm a fan of vintage clothing in general. Then I started to think... I have to really say that clothing from Medeival times through the 1950s are what I enjoy. I know it seems like a wide chunk of time, but with my experiences doing historical re-creation I am just in love with the different styles. It doesn't even matter if it's Womenswear or Menswear, it's all great. I'm probably the only girl here with a fedora in my picture!?!?

If I had to go on what I most love or bend towards most it would be the Louise Brooks look. I love the 20s-30s best for modern times. I have great pic of me in vintage and if I can ever find it again I will post it.

As for wearing it daily, I used to when I was in high school (laughed at for it too). Nowadays it's more difficult with my job since I don't want to get it torn or stained. If I had a normal office job still I would be vintage everyday. I guess that's why I wear the hat sometimes (plus my husband is a vintage hat junkie).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
magneto said:
In a library book I just saw (forgot to bring it home, will do next time) for example, there was a 1936 or '37 photo of a Harlem women's association marching down 125th St (?) in NYC staging an anti-Hitler demonstration! (at a time when most Americans thought Hitler was probably a great guy). Is this the image we get from the movies and mags of the time!? Er, no.

:eek:fftopic: Harlem still had Jewish neighborhoods then.

HistWardrobe

Vendor
choices of era

My favorite 20th century era is the 1930s through early 40's. I think it has a lot to do with my late grandmother's influence. My grandmother (1910-1998) was the most stylish woman I ever met and while she constantly kept up with mainstream fashion, she always maintained a certain aspect of 30's style. I grew up thinking spectator shoes were an essential and I aint changed.. I can't think of a point in my adult life when I didnt' own a pair.

Much of what we now think of as "classics" had their origins in the clothing of the 1930s. If I could pick a favorite year, it might be 1938 although 1933 (year of my mom's birth and a great year for clothing) comes close too.

In reenacting, I always seem to prefer the styles of 5-10 years BEFORE whatever war it is one is reenacting - thus for Civil War, I'm generally in mid to late 1850s clothing, for WW2 I'm generally in late 30s clothing and for Rev War I'm dressed a'la 1760 half the time. In this respect, it's handy to be middle aged so that retro / conservative is plausible.

However I'm also particularly fond of the much-under portrayed Early Republic era (1780s-90s, a neat transition era, fashion wise), late Regency and post-Regency 1820s stuff, 1880's second bustle era, ca. 1905-1910 fashions and WWI to early 20s.

I love the look of flapper era stuff, ditto "Titanic era" ditto mid-Regency, but none of those are geared to a person with a tummy, alas! The nice thing about 1850s-60s is that the hoop hides all of the fat bits.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
magneto said:
True! That would have raised local awareness...it was African-American women demonstrating.

That's pretty cool. Maybe scan the picture the next time you get your hands on the book?

I was thinking pics of that nature could make a nice statement framed.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
HistWardrobe said:
...In reenacting, I always seem to prefer the styles of 5-10 years BEFORE whatever war it is one is reenacting - thus for Civil War, I'm generally in mid to late 1850s clothing, for WW2 I'm generally in late 30s clothing and for Rev War I'm dressed a'la 1760 half the time. In this respect, it's handy to be middle aged so that retro / conservative is plausible.....

However I'm also particularly fond of the much-under portrayed Early Republic era (1780s-90s, a neat transition era, fashion wise), late Regency and post-Regency 1820s stuff, 1880's second bustle era, ca. 1905-1910 fashions and WWI to early 20s.

Hooray! Well researched! During the wars, I'm pretty sure only the scandelous or extremely wealthy could be entirely in Vogue- surely things could be made over, but there is only so much done to the basic structure of a garment.

I have a true affinity for the late 1700's as well. I enlarged the 1790's Robe in the Janet Arnold book for costume college last year and find that whole period to be so extremely interesting. The change was so dramatic- and that middle point between paniers, bustled backs, and the starkness of regency corsets is just fascinating to me. And they had amazing hats.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
magneto said:
I know exactly how you feel. There was such a disparity between societal image and "real life" and we need to concentrate on bringing the forgotten "real life" to the forefront, as it deserves. In a library book I just saw (forgot to bring it home, will do next time) for example, there was a 1936 or '37 photo of a Harlem women's association marching down 125th St (?) in NYC staging an anti-Hitler demonstration! (at a time when most Americans thought Hitler was probably a great guy). Is this the image we get from the movies and mags of the time!? Er, no.

Magneto, I'd love to see that photo. If you remember to get the book, could you scan if for us?

Caledonia

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
I guess we'll just have to share that cup of coffee three-ways! :) ...I'll let you guys take all the credit for inventing the penicillen though ;)

How about a new three-way straw invention. And I'm not even going off topic! Inventions of the 30s and 40s were huge, just to find ways of making the Depression and the war era work. And that's one of my attractions, not between these decades, but as opposed to the last 3 (I'm reserving judgement on the 60s-70s till I investigate them more in terms of innovation and its comparative nature with the pre-60s era ;)

ladyk

Familiar Face
I started wearing vintage when I was about 16, a combination of it being in a price bracket that suited my student purse, different to what everyone else was wearing (I've never liked looking like my peers) and actually would fit me. Clothes from high street shops just didn't work, I had this tiny 23 inch waist with a, erm, generous chest and hips. I looked like a sack of spuds in most of it. I started off wearing 60's vintage, all minis and shifts but the older I get the further back in time my wardrobe goes.

11 years later, I seem to have settled finally on what suits me best - late 30's through to mid 50's - nipped in waists, ladylike glamour, high heels, hats, gloves... I try to keep each outfit as correct to their decade as possible, but since clothes would have been reused and kept as long as possible, I don't feel so bad if items cross over slightly as long as the over all look is right.

I cut my waist length hair off earlier this year to make it easier to put into pin curls and style as I liked it, an aquaintance asked me if the new shorter hair made it easier to look after. If anything it is harder! But thats what is deemed important these days, the quick hair, quick outfits, quick solutions to everything.

What is wrong with taking half an hour out of your schedule in the morning to put your make up on, style your hair, choosing an outfit that is just right? It's considered excessive vanity, and the 'oh I just threw the first thing I saw on' outfit is what my peers love. I would rather take a little extra time, building my confidence for the day ahead by being happy in what I am wearing.

Hmm... I do seem to have gone off on a tangent there? Ahem. Sorry.

Kirstyx

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree that a certain amount of time spent on your appearance isn't wasted. But unless you fix your hair in an elaborate style, it doesn't take any longer to look nice that it does to look sloppy. Either way, you have to put on a skirt or pants, a blouse and shoes. Yes, some people put on more and go to more trouble--but I'm talking about looking nice (not stunning) vs. sloppy. It's just as easy--maybe easier--to put on a nice skirt and blouse as it is to shoehorn yourself into low-slung jeans and a camisole.

As for which period I like, I like to wear clothes that don't look like they are obviously from a specific time. I call it the classic look.

Sunny

One Too Many
Your Chosen Vintage Years

While writing my "essay" on the Vintage Turning Point thread, I had a thought about fashion ideals and favorite years.

This forum seems to span from the 1920s into the 1950s, and I know I've seen a few admit to loving the 1960s as well. :) I suspect that many of us have a particular year or period that we dress in, or try to dress in, or want to dress in, almost exclusively.

How did you settle on those years? Did you play around in other periods or years first? What specifically do you like about the silhouette, colors, and fashions and how they suit you? What elements from this time do you try to avoid and why? I'm really curious! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24