Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makeup are you wearing today?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
It is pricey. But i keep going back to the old faithful. I have gotten some other recommendations from some of the other ladies, which i will try in the future. But i'm just finding the silicone primers to not really work for me.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
It is pricey. But i keep going back to the old faithful. I have gotten some other recommendations from some of the other ladies, which i will try in the future. But i'm just finding the silicone primers to not really work for me.
I'm the same way. I cannot wear those silicone primers. Most of them give me cystic acne.

I wish I could send you some of the extras I get. We constantly have the balm in gift sizes. As I work within the Clarins bay, I am friends with the Clarins lady. I buy my skincare from her and she adds those as goodies when she has them.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ You can send them to me! :lol:

I like the flash balm, but I've never mixed it with foundation. I typically just apply a thin layer before my foundation. I consider it more of a boost to my moisturizer, rather than a primer, I guess. For primer I use the Studio Secrets, it is my favorite. I also have a MAC primer I've used a few times. Smashbox Photo Finish works nicely and I know it gets all the raves, but I find the silicone causes me to break out.

I loved the Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara because it came in auburn. They quit selling it everywhere in the US except Walmart, and now I can't even find it there anymore.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
^ You can send them to me! :lol:

I like the flash balm, but I've never mixed it with foundation. I typically just apply a thin layer before my foundation. I consider it more of a boost to my moisturizer, rather than a primer, I guess. For primer I use the Studio Secrets, it is my favorite. I also have a MAC primer I've used a few times. Smashbox Photo Finish works nicely and I know it gets all the raves, but I find the silicone causes me to break out.

I loved the Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara because it came in auburn. They quit selling it everywhere in the US except Walmart, and now I can't even find it there anymore.
Next time there's a beauty box, I'll have to put it in there. :)

Yes, I remember hearing that MF was going under, stateside, I knew there would be ladies upset to lose the 2000 calorie mascara. I wonder why, as their other Factor company, Smashbox, was sold to EL (as much as we were told they didn't have anything to do with the MF brand despite being Factor owned) I wish I could recommend a replacement, but it has been ages since I used it.
Is it mostly volume that you seek? I know Smashbox used to, and still may, have one in burgundy, and Vincent Longo had one in Aubergine. Maybe EL still has theirs in Garnet?
Sorry, it's a habit for me to offer makeup recommendations. I don't want to come across as a know it all.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ No, no problem at all! I typically use MAC Studio Fix Lash. It is black, but I love it because it lasts all day and doesn't flake. I also really like Lancome Hypnose. I've found quite a few that I like, just no drugstore bargains yet that come in auburn.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm the same way. I cannot wear those silicone primers. Most of them give me cystic acne.

I wish I could send you some of the extras I get. We constantly have the balm in gift sizes. As I work within the Clarins bay, I am friends with the Clarins lady. I buy my skincare from her and she adds those as goodies when she has them.

What a nice lady! Bless you for the kind thought. Actually i did buy loads of Flash balm, as a local chemist was shutting down and so everything was pretty much given away. I'm currently using a tiny bit of Estee Lauders primer on my cheeks and chin and the flash balm and it seems to be working ok as a primer combo. But like you i find silicone primers really break me out as well as going all claggy on me. I may well have to try the Smashbox one like FWG recommended.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Can anyone recommend a peach eyeliner? White seems too harsh and my Almay one is no longer available.
Hi Dixie! You're right, white is too harsh for most of us, and obvious. Paula Dorf Baby Eyes is a great peach liner to brighten up the inner rims. I'm not sure if this next is still made as I bought it over a year ago, but Bourjois made a double ended liner, brown on one end and peach on the other. Sephora may have one in their house brand as well.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Today I was pretty lazy:

MAC Studio Fix powder NW15
Lorac auburn brow pencil
MAC eyeshadows Orb & Satin Taupe
MAC Studio Fix Lash mascara
MAC Well Dressed blush
Julie Hewett Oona Noir lipstick

zombi

A-List Customer
Tonymoly Ice Queen Multi Play Cream (this is a Korean sunblock/moisturizer)
Benefit Lemon Aid eye brightener/concealer
Urban Decay eyeshadow, "Sin"
Covergirl Natural lash mascara?? brown black
Lioele Carry Me blusher, "Cutie Pink"
Clinique Almost Lipstick, "Black Honey"
Coty Airspun powder, translucent
Anastasia brow powder, "Strawburn"
Urban Decay eye pencil, "Bourbon"

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Fortworthgal, I'm sure you look lovely! I love that color blush.

Zombi, the Korean product sounds intriguing.

As for me, it's my day off, plus I don't feel 100% (darned SE TX allergies), so just sunblock and Fresh Sugar Balm in Honey.

zombi

A-List Customer
^ Play creams are sold by many Asian companies, they're meant to be basically like an SPF with some face primer qualities. This one comes in an adorable ice cream cup shaped package and smells amazing. I super love it.

I actually love a lot of Asian cosmetic brands -- the Lioele blusher is Korean, too.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
i wore my new smashbox studio skin foundation today! i returned something to sephora last weekend and had store credit i originally wanted to use later on, but then one of the smashbox reps approached me and asked if i'm interested in a consultation. usually i stay away from those because i feel obligated to buy something, even though they say it's free and all, but i know the folks at sephora don't work on commission, and i just felt like trying something new. anyway, the lady used this foundation and i loved it! my old go-to foundation was discontinued last year (or the year before? i bought it from CCO) so i'm glad i found something new!! :)

other than that i used
- hourglass veil primer
- mufe hd powder
- sheer cover concealer
- thebalm cheater mascara
- stila smudge stick in lionfish (brown)
- mufe hd powder
- physician's formula mosaic blushing powder in naturally
- a bit of thebalm's bahama mama bronzer
- revlon lipstick in dusty rose
- YBF eyebrow pencil in taupe

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Today was:

Complexion - Make Up Forever HD foundation + Benefit High Beam
Benefit Erase Paste
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder
Besame Casmere powder
Besame Cream Rouge
Guerlain Meteorites no. 2

Eyes - Urban Decay Primer Potion, 24/7 shadow sticks in Sin and Midnight Cowboy
Stila Dune + Chinois, Besame Socialite Brown
Make Up Forever eyeliner pencil 10 + Tokidoki Perfetto eyeliner in black
Besame 1930s Mascara
MAC Saddle as brow powder

Lips - LUSH lip tint A Million Kisses

Scent - Tokyo Milk Dark Fate & Fortune in Chance

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
i wore my new smashbox studio skin foundation today! i returned something to sephora last weekend and had store credit i originally wanted to use later on, but then one of the smashbox reps approached me and asked if i'm interested in a consultation. usually i stay away from those because i feel obligated to buy something, even though they say it's free and all, but i know the folks at sephora don't work on commission, and i just felt like trying something new. anyway, the lady used this foundation and i loved it! my old go-to foundation was discontinued last year (or the year before? i bought it from CCO) so i'm glad i found something new!! :)

other than that i used
- hourglass veil primer
- mufe hd powder
- sheer cover concealer
- thebalm cheater mascara
- stila smudge stick in lionfish (brown)
- mufe hd powder
- physician's formula mosaic blushing powder in naturally
- a bit of thebalm's bahama mama bronzer
- revlon lipstick in dusty rose
- YBF eyebrow pencil in taupe

Just curious, what was your old foundation?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Today -

Revlon PhotoReady airbrush mousse foundation in Vanilla
Clinique blended loose powder
Lorac auburn brow pencil
MAC Painterly paint pot, MAC eyeshadows Orb & Satin Taupe
MAC False Lash mascara
MAC Well Dressed blush
Trish McEvoy nude lip liner
Donna Karan Rich Raisin lipstick

I had really high hopes for this Revlon foundation, it looked cool in the store and applied nicely. Unfortunately it has the dreaded "dewy" appearance and so far I am super shiny. I'll have to see how it wears through the day before I give a final verdict.

zombi

A-List Customer
Makeup today:

Tonymoly Ice Queen multi play cream
MISSHA Perfect Cover BB cream, no.13
Coty Airspun translucent powder
Maybelline Dream Bouncy blush, candy coral
Anastasia brow powder, strawburn
Benefit Lemon Aid concealer
MAC eyeshadow, nylon
Urban Decay eyeshadow, sin
Covergirl nature mousse mascara, brown black