Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What motivates you to do your beauty everyday? Lately I cant find any motivation!

Sara Rusch

New in Town
I don't always bother with how I look but I am trying to take better care of myself. I think the reason I sort of gave up was because I didn't think I deserved nice things or to feel happy - I have never been all that confident.

I am making an effort to look nice and have my hair and make up done for work everyday but at the moment it isn't coming naturally! I am hoping that at some point it will just click and I will be able to look in the mirror and not think yuk. It feels like a long process though! Getting interested in the vintage / 1950's look has helped a lot as I really love the clothes and make up and mind set so I feel more like my own person and not like I am trying to be like everyone else my age. I went through a phase of having super straight hair and wearing fashionable clothes and felt so uncomfortable. It just wasn't me.

I am gradually learning that being me isn't such a bad thing.

I completely identify with you angeljenny, as I'm going through the same type of mindset. My sister is extremely fashionable (shes a model) and has been trying for years to get me to wear "fashionable" things (many of which I think look simply silly) that just felt like I was wearing someone else's clothes. But back in February, I inadvertantly stumbled across some youtube tutorials for pin-up makeup and one thing lead to another and here I am now as a vintage lover who simply cant get enough!

The makeups pretty easy to do every day (I very rarely force myself to throw on at least some eyeliner and mascara), but I'm lately struggling to try and do my hair like I want it (in a pretty vintage style). I try to tell myself that I'm a busy college student, so its ok not to do it all the time, but I know that I should make it a habit now so I can keep feeling good about myself.

I hope your personal journey is going as well as mine has so far.

Love and pride,
Sara

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I am terribly slothful, and would really rather spend 10 minutes in bed rather than fix my face. I haven't overcome my bad habits, but every morning when I do battle with the sleepies, I remind myself that today could be the day when I meet my new lover, and he shouldn't have a first impression that is slovenly. Maybe not the best motivation, but it works (sort of) for me.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I've been a lurky-loo lately, but thought I'd jump into this thread with some advice.

I'm in the sleepy/slothful camp with Bluebird Marsha, a trait enhanced by working in a very casual academic environment.

On the motivation to spruce up side, I am the assistant to two medical directors and a clinic director, so I feel responsible to put a good face forward, so to speak. Plus, since joining the Lounge, where learned to set my hair, I now regularly set my hair either in pin curls or foam rollers. It seems somewhat silly to set my hair but not wear makeup, so I have added a minimal makeup routine: Loreal's Infallible pressed powder, which provides enough coverage for me, mascara, and my new love: Besame's Red Velvet. I definitely feel more poised on the days I make a little more effort to pull my look together.

And now, I'm off to set my hair!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
This thread is one of my favourites!

What motivates me to put my face on everyday is simply that if I don't, I look like a 12 year old child. Besides that, make-up artistry is my hobby, and I'm the only one thats around for me to make up most of the time lol

ETA: Lots of ladies mentioned their jobs. Given the way I look, many people who meet me outside of work are surprised to learn I'm a Paralegal. The legal profession is notoriously straitlaced, so while I don't go to work in full vintage regalia, I'm pretty "out there" to my colleagues. My appearance gets me recognized and endears me to people, though, so maybe its a good thing that I break the mould :)

This is so vain of me, but I wouldn't tone myself down for anyone, not even my employers.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
Having just started wearing makeup only a few years ago it seamed to me at first to be a very illogical thing to do, strangle as time gone by I have sort of grown into wearing makeup and enjoy it but I cannot explain why and I think that the same for many ladies over time.
Of course it a way of changing your appearance slightly and when you see before and after photos your probably do not realise apart from the lady by how much.
I just think makeup is just another creative tool that a lady has to use and enjoy.
I not sure if any thing can be read into why a lady wears very little and another lady wears more. I think it could be part of the process of getting ready to do something or switching from home life and leaving that behind to been some one slightly different at work or when out socializing with others.

Lenore

Practically Family
I love this thread because it reinforces that I'm not alone in the struggle of daily motivation. Days like today are especially hard, when the night before was plagued with bad dreams of an unhappy subconcious and I wake up with a migraine. After my migraine meds kicked in, it took a lot to put my face on and pin up my hair, but almost the moment I was done, I felt a thousand times better.

olive bleu

One Too Many
For me it's simple -- confidence, yes, poise, yes, and it also matters that I look like hell when I don't. And when you work in a job with a lot of public interaction involved going in with ratty hair, and a sour pasty-white baggy-eyed face just doesn't cut it. Except last Halloween, when I came to work as the Mother In Law Of Frankenstein and fit right in with the rest of the ghouls.

I currently have a job with NO public interaction. It is very easy to go in having taken a minimal amount of effort, and believe me plenty of my co-workers do, and I'd be lying if i said I've never been guilty of it myself on occasion. But i'm never happy on those days. It might get me out the door on time, but i'm never happy, and always wish i could go back home and start over. All i can say, is I don't feel like myself. I always have been the girl who dressed up. Even as a teenager, growing up in a remote area with nary a store for miles, i was either ripping up old things to sew new clothes for myself, or ordering new clothes from catalogues..i would be the one walking down the dirt road in a dress and red shoes , side by side with my friends in jeans. i'm still that girl, and often show up for work on casual fridays in a skirt. Even if i don't have to face the public at work, they still have to see me on the bus...or when i stop off at the grocery store..I guess i would say my inspiration comes from within and knowing when i head out the door I am ready for anything .

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
i'm still that girl, and often show up for work on casual fridays in a skirt. Even if i don't have to face the public at work, they still have to see me on the bus...or when i stop off at the grocery store..I guess i would say my inspiration comes from within and knowing when i head out the door I am ready for anything .

:eusa_clap

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I must admit that lately I'm having an awful time finding the motivation. It is *so* unbearably hot here, every day it is anywhere from 103-112 and at night it "cools" down into the mid 80s. Just walking from my office to my car is misery, and when I get in my car, it is usually around 120 degrees. I just can't get motivated to put on full makeup, stockings, and style my hair when I know it will melt off the minute I step outdoors. I have a fair amount of public interaction at work so I do make some efforts - I let my hair go natural, which is wavy/curly and I do style it so it looks "done" and I wear foundation, powder, mascara, lipstick & fill in my brows... but definitely not the level I would normally do if I wanted to look nice. I am really looking forward to autumn so I can finally wear eyeshadow and cute clothes again!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have to agree with you there, the humidity here on the coast is brutal, and there is no product out there that will de-frizz my hair.bleh.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ahh, I don't agree. I detest the heat, and I love the long winter! Make-up stays on better, I can wear darker colours, I can wear stockings and hats, etc...

The winters in my neck of the woods aren't nearly as brutal as yours, eh olive bleu? ;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ahh, I don't agree. I detest the heat, and I love the long winter! Make-up stays on better, I can wear darker colours, I can wear stockings and hats, etc...

The winters in my neck of the woods aren't nearly as brutal as yours, eh olive bleu? ;)

As much as I complain about the weather here (and the lack of a decent Summer) I will always prefer Autumn/Winter for pretty much the same reasons as C-dot - lots of nice hats, scarves, gloves and darker colours to be worn - in a way I think Winter clothes can be more glamourous than Summer ones.

olive bleu

One Too Many

LOL..at the risk of sounding like my grandmother..( I remember when winters were sooo bad..)
I will agree that our winters are pretty brutal.. I am in Nova Scotia now, and that's bad enough, but actually grew up in newfoundland on a tiny island, way out in the North Atlantic, 15 miles out actually..and that was BAD. and it is still that bad..we have had to have our neighbours come over and shovel around our front door so we could get out of the house and walk to my grandmothers house in waist high snow. Needless to say, in those kind of conditions, fashion and beauty were not paramount in my mind. :p

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Needless to say, in those kind of conditions, fashion and beauty were not paramount in my mind. :p

Nicely put! :)
When my fingers show evident desire to fall off from the rest of my body.. it's hard to focus on curling ones lashes.. mostly because mascara freezes over when temperature drops below reasonable degree. Not that I love smudging and sweating.. but, I'd rather fight my fights with the Sun, than freezing over. Any day. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner