Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pants to wear with an odd navy pinstripe jacket?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
vitanola said:
Actually, the March picture predates Kodachrome, I think. It appears to be an Autochorme.

Ooooh, I believe you're right! ;) I forgot about Autochrome... :eusa_doh:

Well, here's a photo taken of my self and two of my best buds in our 30s duds! I'm wearing a dark blue coat with a modest windowpane you can't see... its part of a three piece suit... I have it paired with light grey blue linen high-waist pants. I have a color copy of this photo that I will post later... but, you can see the strong contrast that is the point I'm making here.

Enjoy!

l_02c623ac413a4b148ca5d3d0991ebb2d.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, early Kodachrome is always nice to see! Kinda makes me want a Coke lol

Feraud said:
Yep. The film presents such a warm image.

It gives us those nice bright colors, the greens of summer.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean to resurrect the thread... Clicked the link in the other pinstripe jacket thread and forgot I was in another thread...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
Isn't that Jack Warner?

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

Nope. It's a British actor whose name escapes me. He was under contract to Paramount in the mid 1930s, when this photo was taken. The picture is from Marsha Hunt's book, The Way We Wore. All I remember about the guy is Ms. Hunt's comment that he often played lords and butlers on film.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I should have posted the (long forgotten) source of the photo, if only for my own recollection. :eek:

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
You can always find all sorts of old photos of all sorts of get-ups. A pinstriped jacket will always look like a suit jacket. Wearing it with anything other than its matching pants will look mismatched. But then, do whatever. No one cares anymore, and sneakers without socks will complete it nicely.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here's a photo my gal took of me waiting outside of a carwash last Monday.

I'm wearin' a black double breasted coat with light blue/gray pants. My hat is a late 20s 8 panel and the tie is a light green hand woven job. The shoes are floursheim and the very first pair of vintage shoes I've ever bought.

Oh and the glasses are 30s Wilson Goggles.

l_370a932f57c44940b1531db00ff54871.jpg

Note: That's how I like my pants to hang mostly... just at the top of the shoe. Very little or no break at the cuff which gives to very clean, sharp lines. The way pants should hang!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
NICE

Forgotten Man said:
Here's a photo my gal took of me waiting outside of a carwash last Monday.

I'm wearin' a black double breasted coat with light blue/gray pants. My hat is a late 20s 8 panel and the tie is a light green hand woven job. The shoes are floursheim and the very first pair of vintage shoes I've ever bought.

Oh and the glasses are 30s Wilson Goggles.

l_370a932f57c44940b1531db00ff54871.jpg

FM looks good, assume your latest avatar is a NY World's Fair morph? Solid Citizen :D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Bourbon Guy said:
You can always find all sorts of old photos of all sorts of get-ups. A pinstriped jacket will always look like a suit jacket. Wearing it with anything other than its matching pants will look mismatched. But then, do whatever. No one cares anymore, and sneakers without socks will complete it nicely.
While we are all welcome to our opinions (even the condescending ones), I dare say that this thread has more than answered my question with historic, photographic, and anecdotal evidence. Apparently at least some men with a sense of style are more than capable of putting together quite passable ensembles around an odd pinstripe jacket.

Pip said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier said:
Nope. It's a British actor whose name escapes me. He was under contract to Paramount in the mid 1930s, when this photo was taken. The picture is from Marsha Hunt's book, The Way We Wore. All I remember about the guy is Ms. Hunt's comment that he often played lords and butlers on film.

You sure? I was certain that image came from Chenoune's book.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot