Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Yesterday I was using my Lamy Studio with Aurora black, fabulous writer very smooth.

Today I have been sending out some correspondence and used the Platinum with music nib for addressing, and the pilot Vanishing Point with the Binder Italic cursive nib for the notes.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Will be carrying my new Waterman Phileas loaded with PR Tropical Blue today, Supposed to hit the upper 50s the freeze the next few days. Need a little tropical feeling today!

Esme

One of the Regulars
John, how are those music nibs? I have been hearing good things about them.

Today, I have been to three different stores trying to find cartridge refills for my Parker FP with no luck. le sigh. Guess I will get out a syringe and go at the old cartridge with some bottled ink. In the meantime have ordered a conversion kit for the poor old thing.

Waiting on a 1930's Mabie Todd Blackbird in the mail from the US, it looks sweet!!

French

Familiar Face
same old, same old...

Namiki Bamboo, fine nib filled with Noodler's Legal Lapis and a Pilot VP (raden finish) fine nib, filled with Pilot Blue

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Went to a Waterman Carene with a fine nib, which is appropriate since I'm trying to buy a Carene with a stub nib today also.

Music Nibs

Esme said:
John, how are those music nibs? I have been hearing good things about them.

Platinum supposedly makes the more traditional music nib with the two slits / three tines nib. If you look on Ebay you can often find New Old Stock Pilot pens (Try search Pilot Music Pen) with the same style music nib. Sailor does one with the regular single split / two tines.

The idea is very much like a really wide STUB nib, the nib is cut straight across, not angled like the Obliques or many Italics, so it is more fogiving of different agles of hold. The corners are rounded so it is smooth and won't catch. It is designed to give a rather wet line so under fits of explosive creativity and writing really fast, it won't skip.

I don't recall ever seeing anything but glowing accolades for them.

They are super nice to write with and give a wonderful expressive feel to script and signatures. I have a Platinum and enjoy it a lot, it's very smooth writing, a bold size so I use it for addressing envelopes a lot and writing bigger notes. The line is quite wet and occasionally I need to use a blotter when in a hurry.

When my budget is intact I may persue a Pilot branded one.

Hope that helps.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Pelikan 800

Today I'm carrying my Pelikan 800 in green stripe with a Richard Binder .7 mm Stub Italic nib. I bought the pen from Richard, had him grind the nib, smoothest nib I'v ever used. I'm a Pelikan man!

Preacher Man
Philippians 4:13

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Just got a new Waterman Harley Davidson Freewheel in the Flame pattern, it's a Phileas with biker attitude. Loaded it up with Skrip Black and a very smooth writer.

Preacher Man said:
Today I'm carrying my Pelikan 800 in green stripe with a Richard Binder .7 mm Stub Italic nib. I bought the pen from Richard, had him grind the nib, smoothest nib I'v ever used. I'm a Pelikan man! Preacher Man Philippians 4:13
Sounds like a sweet combination!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Sure does sound sweet! Today carried my Phileas in the pocket and have decided on a Sheaffer TRZ with Conway Stewart Green for traveling and stying in my old Schofield Bible.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
waterman_phileas_blue.jpg

Waterman Phileas, fine nib, typically filled with Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue, and

black_nickel_sheaffer_prelude.jpg

Sheaffer Prelude (just found out the model name), medium nib, typically filled with Sheaffer Blue-Black.

Right now both are filled with blue-black, but I find the Lake Placid Blue writes better, having a little more "body" (not so watery). In my bar-review class, I find myself refilling approximately every other day, so come Thursday I'll probably switch both to the blue.

-Dave

LA Pen Show

I just spent Sunday (2/15/09) at the LA Pen Show in Manhattan Beach and had a blast. I did not buy any pens but did pick up some paper for letter writing. Classy Dame (Shellie) came over too and we spent some time wandering thru the big room and the other sections. I pointed out some specific pens, then described lever fillers and talked about design changes thru the eras. Some excellent stuff and if you searched, bargains to be had.

Shellie found a Silver Esterbrook Dollar pen that she liked and found a black desk set Esterbrook with the art deco base (the one that is shaped like a wedge of cheese) that she also bought. So Shellie is moving from Pilot Varsity disposibles to vintage lever fillers from the venerable and ubiquitous Esterbrook line to compliment her vintage passion.

We ran inot many SCPCC members that I know and then Yvette and Binkmeister Rick who was visiting from DC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner