Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

univibe88

One Too Many
I am not carrying it today, as I am just sitting around the house, but I got an Esterbrook in the mail today. It's my first Estie. I am excited about it.

Pilot

I just got an inexpensive Pilot 78G (Black with gold trim) that has a broad nib which is shaped a bit like a broad stub so I get some line variation in my writing.

As a Japanese pen their broad happens to be more like a western medium nib, as most Japanese nibs are about a half size smaller than the western equivalent.

For a $25 pen it writes great, it's a very light weight pen, at about 5-1/4" capped and 5-7/8" posted.

I filled it with Private Reserve's Electric DC Blue.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just received my first Esterbrook, J Series, with a lever fill and a 1461 fine nib. It is in that wonderful marbled copper color that reminds me a bit of a modern Conklin.

Though it is a touch small for my hand, it writes wonderfully. Being very inexpensive to procure online, I may need to get a few more!

Esterbrook nibs

Don't forget the Esterbrook nib and feed are an intregal unit that screws in and out pretty easy so you can swap out that nib for another. It was designed to be replaced.

There are many available as new or used refurbished on Ebay and some of the online fountain pen shops have some too.

univibe88

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I just received my first Esterbrook, J Series, with a lever fill and a 1461 fine nib. It is in that wonderful marbled copper color that reminds me a bit of a modern Conklin.

Though it is a touch small for my hand, it writes wonderfully. Being very inexpensive to procure online, I may need to get a few more!

That's the same color Estie that I just got! And only days apart. Cool! Where did you get yours? I got mine on Ebay.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I am currently composing a letter with an old calligraphy pen. Not sure if it's any value but I love the way it feels and dispenses.

modern Stub Nib Pilot from Japan

I have been using a really inexpensive Pilot 78G with a broad Stub nib that I got off of Ebay. (The seller has some more, you can search for it.) Classic Black with Gold Trim.

The broad from Japan is closer to a medium here and the stub gives it some very nice line variation that is just a pleasure to use. The nib is smooth writing and it gives a farily wet line so no skipping when you're in the sweet spot.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:
Don't forget the Esterbrook nib and feed are an intregal unit that screws in and out pretty easy so you can swap out that nib for another. It was designed to be replaced.

There are many available as new or used refurbished on Ebay and some of the online fountain pen shops have some too.

Thanks, My Friend, you are a treasure trove!

univibe88 said:
That's the same color Estie that I just got! And only days apart. Cool! Where did you get yours? I got mine on Ebay.
I bought mine on eBay too, but it was a pen dealer on there. I am very very pleased. I think I want more!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm carrying my complementary give away ball point from Bencraft Hatters, as I have been for about a year and a half now. Not at all vintage, but keeping it in the family! Nice pen, too.

French

Familiar Face
Pilot 78G today

Like John in Covina, I'm also using a Pilot 78G with the stub nib. I've got mine loaded with Noodler's Verdun Green, and it is an absolute pleasure to write with.

French

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Just picked up a donor pen to rebuild this one. A Blue Esterbrook J, new nib, sac and J bar, writes like a dream!
003-6.jpg

001-9.jpg

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
New BallPoint

I have a weakness for orange pens. Today I had a dentist appointment and decided after having the mutton-handed butcher go on a safari in my mouth I needed some fun time.
Stopped off at Daly's - America's Oldest Pen Shop. New to the display was the Lamy Noto in Orange.

Pretty Nifty.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Not carrying one as we speak, but I have been getting a fair amount of use out of a fountain pen my mother gave me as a gift. It's no Montblanc or Parker 51, but it writes beautifully. It came with five or six other pens, but the fountain is my favorite. I find that people tend to notice when one is using a fountain pen more so than if one were using a rollerball. Yesterday, I got to see first hand why one does not shake a fountain pen. Luckily my clothes were not affected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland