Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

French

Familiar Face
Platinum 3776 ribbed

Last night the Pilot 78G I had been carrying ran out of ink, so I flushed it this morning, and decided to put my Platinum 3776 ribbed black resin pen into rotation. The Platinum has a springy fine nib, which is ultra smooth and a joy to write with. I inked it with Noodler's Violet Vote ink.

french

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Waterman Carene today. It is such an elegant writing instrument. It has a natural tendency to deliever expressive lines in thick to thin.

How is that Pilot Vanishing Point?
I was worried that the clip placement was in the way.

univibe88

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
How is that Pilot Vanishing Point?
I was worried that the clip placement was in the way.

The nib on the pen is awesome! I really enjoy writing with it. Many people are concerned about the clip; I was too. It really depends on your grip. The clip is actually not perfectly lined up with the nib. It's rotated slightly. So with my grib, the clip falls between my finger and thumb while the nib is perfectly aligned on the paper.

I got mine from Bromfield Pen Shop downtown. You should drop by so you can check out the feel in your grip (and see if you like the F or M nib better.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
univibe88 said:
The nib on the pen is awesome! I really enjoy writing with it. Many people are concerned about the clip; I was too. It really depends on your grip. The clip is actually not perfectly lined up with the nib. It's rotated slightly. So with my grib, the clip falls between my finger and thumb while the nib is perfectly aligned on the paper.

I got mine from Bromfield Pen Shop downtown. You should drop by so you can check out the feel in your grip (and see if you like the F or M nib better.)
I tried it at Bob Slate in Harvard Square and it wrote beautifully. The clip was not exactly in the way for me; it was more that I didn't like it there, if you know what I mean. Still, the pen is excellent in preformance.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I tried it at Bob Slate in Harvard Square and it wrote beautifully. The clip was not exactly in the way for me; it was more that I didn't like it there, if you know what I mean. Still, the pen is excellent in preformance.

That's where I got my pen! We happened on it by accident, while looking for Vegan Planet.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
univibe88 said:

Most times that I've been in Bromfield Pen Shop, I've gotten the impression that they don't really like pens. With the exception of one lovely young woman, I don't really like their attitude, and because they've alienated me, they've lost lots of business. I brought a friend in to look at a Pelikan M400. He asked the clerk (it could have been the owner, I'm not sure) what the advantages of a piston filler were. His response was a short, gruff "It's all personal preference", and left it at that. My friend was ready to drop about $300 bucks on a pen, but was rather miffed at his response, so we left. I don’t go there unless I have to; there are a lot of great pen dealers on line who I'd rather deal with. Oddly enough, I have gotten wonderful service from the Montblanc boutique at The Mall at Chestnut Hill. Every time I've been there, I've been treated with respect, and they really seem to love their products, and so do I! On another note, I love my VP, I have the Blue Carbonesque, and the clip doesn't bother me at all. I find that it's a good reference for how the nib is oriented. What I would recommend however, is get yourself a piston converter for it; it's easier to deal with, holds more ink and is more robust than the aerometric style filler.

univibe88

One Too Many
Subvet642 said:
What I would recommend however, is get yourself a piston converter for it; it's easier to deal with, holds more ink and is more robust than the aerometric style filler.

I usually do shop online, but sometimes I just want some instant gratification. I agree they are gruff, but when I do in knowing what I'm looking for it doesn't get to me.

Luckily my VP came with a piston converter.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Today was an early start 3:45 am. Carried a Javelin and ATX today as I expected a headache, thankfully it was an uneventful day, with the exception of backing up over a skunk! But that is a story for another time and place......

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
For me, it's a Bexley Simplicity in tortoise with a medium nib, and a Bexley continental with a fine nib. The simplicity is loades with Private Reserve velvet Black, and the Continental with purple noodler's ink. They're the last that are American made, and the pens are very high quality in every price category they make them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points