Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Rotring 600 fine point. This is the old style 600 which is 6 sided like a pencil and the body is probably brass so it is a weighty pen. It looks and feels like some sort of drafting instrument.

If you like a heavier pen this one has a lot going for it, smooth writer with a steel nib, it appeals to the engineering types. Some stores may have old stock or keep an eye out on ebay.

They made this one for a long time, there is a newer "600" but it doesn't seem the same.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I usually carry a Cross ATX for work, as it has metal to metal threads. If it gets rolled on, etc. it stands a very good chance of surviving. Either that or one of my Javelins or Waterman HD pens.

This looks about right for my hand...
50-bmg-clicker.jpg

http://www.awelldressedbullet.ca/bullet-pen-50-bmg.html

Yes, it's made from a once-live .50BMG bullet and cartridge!

French

Familiar Face
all Japanese today -- no vintage

The pens I'm currently carrying with me are
Namiki Bamboo (black resin body, rhodium plated gold nib) Japanese Fine nib, which translates to a western extra fine. Filled with Noodler's Black ink.

Platinum "Cranes and Mt Fuji" screened maki-e pen. Japanese Medium nib (western fine) filled with Noodler's Legal Lapis ink.

Platinum Bel Age Japanese fine nib, filled with a 50:50 mix of Waterman's Violet and Noodler's Luxury Blue.

please excuse my photography

the pens (same order as they are described above)
IMGP0575.jpg

close up of the Platinum Maki-e pen
IMGP0576.jpg

French

Familiar Face
thank you

DeaconKC said:
Those are quite elegant.

Thank you, Deacon.

I've had good fortune with buying pens used on http://www.fountainpennetwork.com and to a lesser extent on eBay. It is incredible how much less a screened maki-e costs than a hand crafted maki-e design...well, maybe not incredible when you think of all the time it takes for the artist to do the work.

My fountian pen collection consists of all Japanese pens (aside from a Hero 100 that my children gave me for Christmas 3 years ago). I like the fact that the nibs run a bit finer and that on the new ones, they are highly likely to be very good writers out of the box. I can't wait for the most recent pens I sent for restoration to return.

french

DeaconKC

One Too Many
So what are you known by at FPN, I'n DeaconKC there too.
I may have to carry my newest pen tomorrow. Just got a Pelikan 215 and it is soooooo nice. Just a little heavier than my 400 or 150, the extra just feels better.

French

Familiar Face
I'm from a long line of unoriginal name choosers...

I go by French on FPN as well as here. On COW, since I live in Connecticut, I went with the (unoriginal but keeping with the theme) Connecticut Jones.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Great! I got a Pelikan 215 in the mail yesterday, inked it up with American Blue and wow, what a sweet writer. I may have to carry it today even though I am working! Wish me luck!

Stub

Enjoy that Pelikan 215 thos are nice, I have one that is an early design when they first brought them out.

For people that want a little pizzaz in their cursive Art Brown has 215's with a STUB nib. It is a Pelikan so it is a smooth writer but the stub gives you a little bit of dramatic wide thin line variation and makes for great signatures too!

Peaceful John said:
Namiki fountain pen, with nib modified for Spencerian script. My next pen I hope to be a Sailor 1911.
I have a Sailor 1911M the smaller one and it is a great pen, so smooth!

I love to see examples of Spencurian script and also copperplate. It looks like certificates of some sort.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I envy those of you who have handwriting worthy of nice pens. I've been accused of dipping a spider ink and letting crawl across the page. I knew I was jinxing myself carrying the 215 today, wound up helping some cops wrestle an idiot down. Whew, the pen is okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto