Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I like the mechanical kind, of course. I've been using the same one for nearly 30 years almost daily.

There you go! I still prefer my Staedtler lead holders (only when I know I won't lose them forever if I drop them), from when I did some drafting in the pre-computer days.

I can tell a guy that's been around the block a few times if he recognizes what they are.

There you go! I still prefer my Staedtler lead holders (only when I know I won't lose them forever if I drop them), from when I did some drafting in the pre-computer days.

I can tell a guy that's been around the block a few times if he recognizes what they are.

Mine's an Alvin Draftmatic:

alvin-draftmatic-3-set-ex.jpg

I'll tip my hand.

I've met fountain pen aficionados and I do appreciate a fine pen. (I was the only kid in grade school to use a fountain pen (a common drug-store variety) because I was weird, like that.) However, I work in sub-zero and 120°+ environments. I require a manly, man's man pen.

Probably the last one I'll ever need (until I lose it or a customer pockets it):

http://countycomm.com/stainlesspen.html

You should look at the Fisher Space Pen and the other models they make.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I must promise never to use a ballpoint not never ever ever again.
I must promise never to use a ballpiont not never ever ever again...

My new boss has started to bring in a really good looking quite heavy fountain pen, which "seems" to accidentally appear in my hands sometimes, ahem, perhaps he'll get fed up with me borrowing it and get me one for my birthday!?

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I carry a Lamy Studio (brushed steel) and a Sheaffer 300 Chased Chrome Fountain Pen. I also carry a Sheaffer 300 Chased Chrome Ball Point in case someone wishes to borrow a pen. I will not let folks write with my fountain pens.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Need some help finding a reliable repair person for a couple of old Sheaffer fountain pens. First, I have a Lifetime Balance that was a wet but tolerable writer. Thinking it could be tweaked to be a little less wet I sent it in to Faharney's and when it came back it was worse. I sent it back a second time and it was actually even worse. Last week my favorite Sheaffer with a Triumph nib rolled off my desk and now it's bleeding all over the place. Needless to say Faharney's is not my first choice.

I missed an opportunity to take them to the annual pen show here over the weekend - too bad. In the past I went to the Fountain Pen Network for direction but they were more interested in critiquing my post than answering my question. (They must be the most up-tight bunch of folks on the web today) Any help/direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JDG

I'm intrigued - what makes a pen left-handed? As a "lefty" myself, I've always avoided fountain pens as the ones that I tried to use as a child made a right mess of my homework!

There's no such thing as a "lefthanded" pen. Some nibs can be tuned for easier left-handed writing style, but they're not really "lefthanded". The problems southpaws have with fountian pens are a result of the way they've been taught to write, usually using some non-fountain pen implement.

Sophisticado

New in Town
Today I am using my Cross Classic Century Pure Chrome and a Cross ATX Translucent Blue Rollingball. Both excellent writers and extremely comfortable, as I teach and am using a pen most of the day, comfort and reliability are paramount.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm very familiar with Quink. Used it for years. Right now, I'm using vintage bottles of Sheaffer Skrip. Thes things seem to be found in abundance where I live, so I may as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran