Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Price Glory's M1910 Campaign Hat

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kevin Popejoy said:
That's easy enough. A brim press...a couple pieces of masonite. Lay the hat on the bottom one and place the top one (with a properly sized hole cut out) over the brim. A couple of loops on one side act as a hinge and a clip holds it together. Prop it or hang it on a wall for storage.

Want pics?

Kevin

Interesting, Kevin. Always love pics, you bet! What I was wondering is how they keep the brim flat when they wear it, if they have a long oval head, that would cause the brim sweep. I imagine they simply would wear the hat high enough to avoid what Baggers and I experience wear campaign style hats. (note my present avatar where I'm wearing one of my Span-Am War repro/conversions)I wonder if there are long oval versions of those hats to compensate for head shape to keep the brim flat during wear. Otherwise they must have to flip the brim up to compensate. Have you any info on this? Thanks, by the way, for your interest and response! Much appreciated!

dean

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
I don't know if there's a long oval available. I've not seen one. Maybe they conform after a while but I can't say mine has as I really don't wear it that often. Usually just on scout trips. Mine is sized large so it has a bit of gapitis on the sides. Aids in ventilation you know. One of my cohorts has a very well broken in cover that stays flat but that probably doesn't prove anything. He's built like a fireplug...including the round top.

Kevin

deanglen

Kevin Popejoy said:
I don't know if there's a long oval available. I've not seen one. Maybe they conform after a while but I can't say mine has as I really don't wear it that often. Usually just on scout trips. Mine is sized large so it has a bit of gapitis on the sides. Aids in ventilation you know. One of my cohorts has a very well broken in cover that stays flat but that probably doesn't prove anything. He's built like a fireplug...including the round top.

Kevin

I think you've answered it ,Kevin. They wear one a size too large and probably live with the gaps above the ears, for as you wrote, it aids in ventilation. Got a picture of you in your hat? Is it vintage? Were you in the Corps? If so, my hat is off to you! Splendid!

dean

doughboy1917

New in Town
Any good?

Is WPG repo worth while? I own several original WW1 campaign hats but I am reluctant to wear them. Just wondering if anybody has worn one and how they held up to wear and tear?

deanglen

Maybe. It's wool. That might be a drawback. Apparently it's next to impossible to reproduce an accurate M1911 Campaign Hat. Members of the Lounge who would like one have yet to locate one. Not just one that looks like one, one that replicates every feature insofar as it can. It's like the Holy Grail of Campaign headgear.

dean

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Crikey! Another campaign hat thread missed?! Sorry on the late response, Baggers, but that hat looks awesome. You wear it extremely well, too.

That style is so distinctive, I don't think I could wear it around the base without getting some nasty looks. I think some of you may remember the flap my co-worker had over wearing one of the WWII fiberglass pith helmets, because the Marine Corps Primary Marksmanship Instructors consider that piece of headgear to be their special privilege. He's a retired Navy officer, and had even put his officer's badge on the front to distinguish it form the PMIs' helmet. Didn't help. I think the same would go for a Montana peaked hat. That's one reason I want to go with the less iconic Spanish-American War campaign style. Less likely to cause a row!

Nonetheless, I'd like a good campaign hat for that inter-war years Air Corps impression. I need so many of the uniform items from that period to complete it, though, I've just never started putting it together.

BTW, Baggers, is that Jerry's M1916, shirt, too? Did you see he has the 1904 Mills trouser belts, now? May have to grab one of those before they're gone.

Hatnut

New in Town
nice style

deanglen said:
With the slight brim droop front and back it really looks rakish. I much prefer it to the more common flat DI brim that seems more standard over time. Does anyone know why they opted for the ironed out flat style? I haven't found anything in my research. Nice height to the crown! You wear it well! :eusa_clap

dean
if i had to guess 1920's/30's era some day i'll add that to my collection

Hatnut

New in Town
1910 campaign hat?

deanglen said:
With the slight brim droop front and back it really looks rakish. I much prefer it to the more common flat DI brim that seems more standard over time. Does anyone know why they opted for the ironed out flat style? I haven't found anything in my research. Nice height to the crown! You wear it well! :eusa_clap

dean
Miller's hats web site has a campaign hat like this xfelt??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy