Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Price Glory's M1910 Campaign Hat

Baggers

Practically Family
Here are a couple of pics of the M1910 campaign hat I recently picked up. It's wool felt with five rows of stitching on the brim, and it's unlined with a leather sweatband. The officer's gold and black hat cord and chinstrap are extra, but all three items only total $84 USD, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the J. Peterman version which was the subject of an earlier thread. And it's comes in metric sizes as opposed to the S-M-L sizing of the JP hat as well. In my opinion, a lot more bang for the buck and a lot more authentic looking.

Campaignhat01.jpg

Campaignhat02.jpg

Not bad, eh?

Cheers!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Campaign Hat

A Pavlovian reaction occurs whenever I see one of those hats....
Pre-WWII infantrymen were authorized the thin chinstrap (the wider chinstrap was reserved for cavalry) with the distinctive robin's egg-blue infantry chord and acorns looped over the crown.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Makes The Montana Peak Work!

With the slight brim droop front and back it really looks rakish. I much prefer it to the more common flat DI brim that seems more standard over time. Does anyone know why they opted for the ironed out flat style? I haven't found anything in my research. Nice height to the crown! You wear it well! :eusa_clap

dean

carebear

deanglen said:
With the slight brim droop front and back it really looks rakish. I much prefer it to the more common flat DI brim that seems more standard over time. Does anyone know why they opted for the ironed out flat style? I haven't found anything in my research. Nice height to the crown! You wear it well! :eusa_clap

dean

Perhaps when it went from a functional piece of daily uniform attire to a "dress" item? We can't rakishly tilt our piss cutters or "crush" our barracks covers either. Everything is standardized.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Military Standard Wear Regs

A flat brim, properly blocked, and authorized correct branch braid/strap
for campaign hats accorded US Army uniform standards.
Then, there is always one guy in every outfit that just has to be
a maverick....

deanglen

carebear said:
Perhaps when it went from a functional piece of daily uniform attire to a "dress" item? We can't rakishly tilt our piss cutters or "crush" our barracks covers either. Everything is standardized.

I'll bet you're right!

dean

Story

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a fair number of modern production ones sold as surplus, obviously former Drill Sergeant covers. The sweat marks sorta confirm it, but I wouldn't dare pick them up. Pavolian reaction. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not BAD? Baggers, that's the way to wear that hat, plain and simple. My first immediate reation as the first photo came into scrolling view was "Ack! Drill Seargent! Hide the smokes!"

We've clearly got to get you moved out of Texas and into The United States and a cooler clime so you can wear more cool stuff.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Not BAD? Baggers, that's the way to wear that hat, plain and simple. My first immediate reation as the first photo came into scrolling view was "S**t! Drill Seargent! Hide the smokes!"

We've clearly got to get you moved out of Texas and into The United States and a cooler clime so you can wear more cool stuff.

Now why would anyone who is fortunate enought to live in Texas want to move? By the way , we love the smell of napalm in the morning. :eek:
Apoc-ani.gif

Baggers

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
Now why would anyone who is fortunate enought to live in Texas want to move? By the way , we love the smell of napalm in the morning. :eek:

Hey, you gotta give him credit for at least acknowledging that some of us might not consider the Texas Republic as really being part of the United States. ;) Having said that, I've often thought about moving up to our former northern territory of Colorado to escape the summer heat and enjoy looking at real mountains. Then again, as Nietzsche said, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger." lol

As for the brim sweep. I have a long oval head, and the brim on just about any hat will naturally assume that shape if I'm wearing my proper size. Otherwise I have large gaps on either side of my head if I wear a size big enough to keep the brim flat.

And oh yes, "CHARLIE DOESN'T SURF!"

Cheers!

deanglen

Baggers said:
As for the brim sweep. I have a long oval head, and the brim on just about any hat will naturally assume that shape if I'm wearing my proper size. Otherwise I have large gaps on either side of my head if I wear a size big enough to keep the brim flat.

I have the same thing with my hats. Thank you for mentioning that. It makes me wonder how those DIs with the long oval headshape keep their brim so flat. Are there long oval versions of these hats so they can get that pancake rim look. I've noticed that brim variation in the Span-Am era hats I love and have wondered why some guys had the flat brims and others the sweep. Thanks again, Baggers, and you've made consider buying one of those style. Will you wear it much, or simply wanted to own one?

dean

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Baggers said:
Hey, you gotta give him credit for at least acknowledging that some of us might not consider the Texas Republic as really being part of the United States. ;) Having said that, I've often thought about moving up to our former northern territory of Colorado to escape the summer heat and enjoy looking at real mountains. Then again, as Nietzsche said, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger." lol
Cheers!

I lived in Colorado for 10 years and enjoyed most of it. There were a few times when it got cold and stayed cold forever, it seemed at the time. Most do not realize that Texas was a Republic when it joined the U.S. and because of that it has certain rights that states do not have, but that is another topic for another day. Tip of the hat to you and you hat, I like you am a long oval and all my hats turn down in front naturaly. Honestly I would pull them down even if they did not.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Baggers,

Nice new hat, and I'm amazed again at your ability to change your look, seemingly putting pounds and years on and taking them off at will, looking at home in whatever you wear. You are the FL's Man of a Thousand Faces, I think. Bravo.

LonChaneyCover.jpg

MoaTF AWARD

Baggers

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Mr. Baggers,

Nice new hat, and I'm amazed again at your ability to change your look, seemingly putting pounds and years on and taking them off at will, looking at home in whatever you wear. You are the FL's Man of a Thousand Faces, I think. Bravo.

Thanks Jake. I'm going to have to think about that pounds and years on and off thing a bit, but hey, it's what I do for a living, what can I say? lol lol lol

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
carebear said:

I'll bet that's when the nomenclature changed too. From "Campaign Hat" to "Service Hat."

While I understand the military is all about a standard appearance when in formation, I miss the personality involved in a slight individual look added to a piece of gear sometimes.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Will you wear it much, or simply wanted to own one?

dean

I don't know. I initially just wanted to add a new impression to the lineup since I popped for the whole package -- hat, boots, shirt and breeches, but I'm kinda digging the look. I won't add a DUI to the front unless I'm in full uniform, but I think I'll be wearing it in the regular rotation in very casual situations for a while. At least until I can break it in more.

Cheers!

carebear

Baggers said:
I'll bet that's when the nomenclature changed too. From "Campaign Hat" to "Service Hat."

While I understand the military is all about a standard appearance when in formation, I miss the personality involved in a slight individual look added to a piece of gear sometimes.

Cheers!

I'm with you. Of course, I would have worn my saber 24/7 if they'd have let me.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
I have the same thing with my hats. Thank you for mentioning that. It makes me wonder how those DIs with the long oval headshape keep their brim so flat.

That's easy enough. A brim press...a couple pieces of masonite. Lay the hat on the bottom one and place the top one (with a properly sized hole cut out) over the brim. A couple of loops on one side act as a hinge and a clip holds it together. Prop it or hang it on a wall for storage.

Want pics?

Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot