Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size hat do you wear?

What standard size fits you best?

• 6 3/4 (54)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 7/8 (55)

• 7 (56)

• 7 1/8 (57)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 7 1/4 (58)

• 7 3/8 (59)

• 7 1/2 (60)

• 7 5/8 (61)

• 7 3/4 (62)

• 7 7/8 (63)

• Total voters

Mark Brody

New in Town
I'm going to bump this up occasionally so more people will see it, and we'll get a better idea. Interesting that you can already see a bell curve.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I need to be able to vote multiple times, to allow for the fact that my two brown Fed Dlxs are 58 and fit nicely, my heritage fawn is a 58 and is a little tight, my Fieldmaster is a 7 3/8 and fits perfectly, my Whippet is a 7 1/4 and fits about right but sometimes a little snug... [huh]

HungaryTom

One Too Many
59-60-61

My head is pulsating:eek: the hats that fit have these size tags on them
Depends on the manufacturer - similar to shoes
my hairs are longer now - hence the larger size

Mark Brody

New in Town
What bugs me most is that if you look at this hat sizing chart...

http://millerhats.com/hatsize.html

... there is 1/4 inch circumference difference between most sizes. Around the top of our bell curve, however, there is a 1/2 inch difference. That's gotta make it difficult for most people to get a hat that fits. My custom made AB is right between a 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 (so I guess you could call it a 7 7/16). it's the only hat that really fits me perfectly. With the recent price increase, however, it's unlikely I'll be getting another anytime soon. I'll just have to fine tune those hatmaking skills myself.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a pretty solid sampling size, and it works out to be grouped just about the way I thought it would. There are a lot of big heads out there. lol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am a classic 7 1/8, unless I buy a Tilley hat or some of the cheaper hats. Then I can be anything from a size 7 to a 7 1/4.

Also, I have two Stetson size 7's that fit me perfectly.

karol

freebird

Practically Family
Solid 7 1/4 here. Had a 7 3/8 Stetson "Gus" straw given to me and it's waay too big. 7 1/8 just sits on top of my head lol.

swisslet

New in Town
I'm an long oval 62, which makes buying hats as difficult as you might imagine (thank you internet!). But then again, I'm also 6 foot 5 and have big feet, so I imagine I'd look odd with a small head too!

Graemsay

Practically Family
My head measures exactly 61 cm (7 5/8), though I've been measured between 60 and 62 cm at times...

I've got a modern brown Stetson that I'm currently wearing, which is a 60 cm (7 1/2), and is a bit loose. The Akubras seem to come up a bit large for their size sometimes so I'd go down a size for them, whilst the Borsalinos are a bit small, and I'd go up a size.

When I got my hat a couple of weeks ago, the man who sold it to me said that most people will have a range of three sizes that fit them. Which seems to be borne out by my experience, and that of a few other people in this thread. :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
swisslet said:
I'm an long oval 62, which makes buying hats as difficult as you might imagine (thank you internet!). But then again, I'm also 6 foot 5 and have big feet, so I imagine I'd look odd with a small head too!

I suspect from trying a 61/75/8 on my son the other day that did not fit well that his size is that as well! I won't know until its a conformateur job but the front of his melon to back was about 2" more than side to side. Would that be right?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
This is amazing! Every hatter tells me 7 1/8 is the most common size. Yet, the Lounge is really heavy with 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. (Could this be EVOLUTION at work?) :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
FL High IQ Knock on Effect

J.T.Marcus said:
This is amazing! Every hatter tells me 7 1/8 is the most common size. Yet, the Lounge is really heavy with 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. (Could this be EVOLUTION at work?) :)

No. Simply that when the IQ content of Loungers' heads is so high it causes permanent long term distension of the cerebellum:D :D ...some into a long oval shape... some sideways...[huh] [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou