Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Now ladies, I'm normally rather proud of having more curves than Lombard Street, but there are days when you just feel a bit blah about one's body. Hair just a bit mousier than normal, a few pimples that erupted on the wrong day, clothing just not fitting as prettily as you'd like them to, and darnnit, you have nothing to wear...

Do you ever just wake up and not all that pretty today and you just aren't really in the mood to make up the difference?

What do you do to turn the frown upside down?

Perhaps I should blame spring--I've commented on cutting off all of my hair and even getting a new tattoo! How does one get out of a beauty slump?

Shearer

Practically Family
When I feel like I can't do a thing with my hair or makeup and I hate all my clothes, I go shopping for a new scent to wear. Nothing fancy, even some simple spray from Bath and Body Works or the drug store.

I've been blaming Spring since February lol I definitely get Spring Fever... Unlike most people, I love the Fall and Winter... it's the Summer months that get me down.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
No matter what, even if I'm just wearing some ratty jeans and a black tshirt because I'm feeling down, I put on red lipstick. That always makes me feel about 100x better about myself, and really perks up my complexion.

Kimberly

Practically Family
For an immediate effect, I take a bubble bath, exfoliate, moisturize, etc. I also put on some lipstick and even one little thing vintage if I don't feel like going the whole nine yards (I have been very uninspired with vintage clothing lately because I am so sick of wool.

Long term is to tweak my diet. I normally feel blah if I am not eating the way my body likes it to. I honestly think one of the best things I can do for my body and beauty is to eat well. That means plenty of fruits, veggies, good fats and water. Sure I can eat my treats but I make sure I am getting my 5 servings of fruits and veggies which the skin loves due to the antioxidants in them. After one week of doing that I feel fantastic and have a ton of energy.

I think you are suffering w/ what many of us have which is the winter blahs. I am optimistic and think it's going to start being warmer out next week for most of us so just do little things for yourself until then and then I am sure you will start feeling yourself again.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
on the healthy eating tip.... i've found that doing a 1-or-2 day juice fast (or vegetable broth in the colder months) does wonders for my attitude and health. not only is it a good, easy way to get some of the "junk" out of my system, i'm always inspired to eat healthier when i start eating again. plus i feel good about having made myself do something good for my health. it's just making myself do it that's hard, even though it's only a day!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Usually, I do one of two things, or both:

1) go to the gym.
2) put on an old standard that I know I look good in.

I've lost quite a bit of weight lately from going to the gym regularly, so whenever I feel lazy I stand in front of the full length mirror and say "YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS DON'T YOU?" lol Then I usually get my butt to the gym.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Usually, I do one of two things, or both:

1) go to the gym.
2) put on an old standard that I know I look good in.

I've lost quite a bit of weight lately from going to the gym regularly, so whenever I feel lazy I stand in front of the full length mirror and say "YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS DON'T YOU?" lol Then I usually get my butt to the gym.

I keep telling myself I am going to start working out again, but don't ever do it. lol I think it's due to the weather. I get completely sapped of energy toward the end of all of the winters and this one has been agonizing. Once the weather gets better I will get my energy back. Until then the only exercise I see me getting is my fingers from all of the typing. :D

I have been lucky though and lost 15 lbs since December by cutting out junk food. I am addicted to carbs and have to control them or they make me feel sluggish and I get bloated. The more of them I eat, the more I want. It's a vicious cycle and has been worse due to the weather. :rolleyes:

I could never do a juice fast myself but usually cut out all white flour and sugar and eat soup and salad for dinner every day for a week and it always makes me feel better and I swear my skin looks better after it too.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Kimberly said:
I keep telling myself I am going to start working out again, but don't ever do it. lol I think it's due to the weather. I get completely sapped of energy toward the end of all of the winters and this one has been agonizing. Once the weather gets better I will get my energy back. Until then the only exercise I see me getting is my fingers from all of the typing. :D

I have been lucky though and lost 15 lbs since December by cutting out junk food. I am addicted to carbs and have to control them or they make me feel sluggish and I get bloated. The more of them I eat, the more I want. It's a vicious cycle and has been worse due to the weather. :rolleyes:

I could never do a juice fast myself but usually cut out all white flour and sugar and eat soup and salad for dinner every day for a week and it always makes me feel better and I swear my skin looks better after it too.

the weather affects me too. i grew up in socal with a near-lack of seasons, and the grayness here starts to get to me sometimes!

i have the carb problem too and am in the worst binge cycle i've been in for a while. i'm going to do the juice fasting tomorrow and i'm expecting it will help. ironically, it's easier for me to stick to just juice/broth than eat super-healthy for a week! i don't know why that is, and i wish it wasn't. [huh]

I don't think I could manage a juice fast, even if it were just a day! Do you get hungry or headache-y?

pigeon, i don't get hungry or headachey. i think the juice helps maintain a decent amount of energy without your body having to put much work into digesting. i do have to be 100% behind the idea of doing it in order to follow through though, and i have to have a variety of juices. i know it's definitely not for everyone. i know people who swear by that horrid "lemonade cleanse" (one friend did it for 21 days straight, detoxing from drugs/alcohol/sugar) but i felt like i was going to die after 2 days on it!

i'm sorry... this is getting really :eek:fftopic:

Shearer

Practically Family
Oh! The other thing I do... buy yourself some flowers! You can even go to the supermarket and get some cheapies... even cheap flowers look and smell good :) Trader Joe's always has GREAT cheap flowers... they had Freesia the other day and the smell was heavenly. They can do a lot to brighten up a room... or your mood.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kimberly said:

I am glad I got motivated in the winter because bathing suit season is a-comin!!!! But I totally know how you feel, I didn't work out all last semester, which is what put me in the "need to lose 15 pounds" predicament in the first place!:rolleyes:

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I often say,
"There's nothing a fresh coat of lipstick can't fix."

Works for me.
Even if the rest of me is a wreck, the perfect lipstick application *always* makes me feel better.

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
You sound like me I feel like an utter blob of nothingness right now! I can't feel good about me for nothing. Mine is half horrible weather (I didn't grow up in WA and I HATE this rain) and the other is always doing for other people. I just wanna look better but have NO motivation. I wish I had some good advice but I find myself waiting for some on this subject!

Cheer up there's someone else out there today feeling the same!! ;)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
When I'm down, I try to get some sun. Not laying out or anything, but trying to get a little sunlight. It makes a world of difference for me. My family says I'm like a plant. I must be watered, fed and get enough sun!

Just FYI, I hear it is recommended that all of us should be getting 15 minutes of sun a day without sunscreen to help your body produce vitamin D. Since vitamin D is so important for bones, it's especially important for us ladies!!

:eek:fftopic: PD is that a Daria animation in your new avatar?? It's really cute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24