Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear in 110 degree heat with high humidity?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lenore said:
From a place with actual 110 degree heat and swamp like humidity
Houston just may have the nastiest summers in the US. That's where I learned about the value of the undershirt. Sounds incongruous to add another layer but it works. It's also where I learned to keep a change of shirt/undershirt stashed in the car, office and club.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tomasso said:
Linen, linen and more linen.

And BTW, Florida has never recorded a temp of 110°. Miami, for instance, has only reached 100° once in its history.
The record for FL is 109 set in the early thirties. I was curious, so I looked it up and checked it with a few different sources.

Personally, for me, take your summer leisure inspiration from Dickie Greenleaf in "The Talented... Mr. Ripley." For evening, white suits via Marcello Mastroianni in "La Dolce Vita" do nicely.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
This past weekend I was in Venice, where, on account of being on the water/swamp, it is unbelievably humid, and also was at record breaking heat. The most comfortable person I saw was this older gentleman, who was kind enough to let me take a picture of him.

IMG_9453.jpg

I think his elegance in the face of great adversity (along with the simple merit of the great outfit he is wearing) is something we should all aspire to imitate.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Yeps,

Excellent picture. There is this wonderful, slight eccentric panache that older men in countries like Italy, France, Spain, etc. dress that really inspires me.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Lenore said:
Oooh is that gelato? Another EXCELLENT way to beat the heat!
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. He asked me if I wanted him to put it down for the photo, but I thought it just added to the effect.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Houston just may have the nastiest summers in the US. That's where I learned about the value of the undershirt. Sounds incongruous to add another layer but it works. It's also where I learned to keep a change of shirt/undershirt stashed in the car, office and club.

In pre-Castro Cuba everyone had a few 100 linen (the dictator type) suits made and after return home for lunch/siesta it was the habit to change into a fresh suit.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I wear lots and lots of cotton, linen and rayon it gets upwards of 110 here and the humidity is awful. My family is Cuban my dad was born there they wear a lot of cotton short sleeved sh shirts and linen or cotton pants. Also my father wears cotton suits and silk(not the shiny) shirts.

Maguire

Practically Family
cookie said:
In pre-Castro Cuba everyone had a few 100 linen (the dictator type) suits made and after return home for lunch/siesta it was the habit to change into a fresh suit.
I've got alot of photos of my folks back there and you don't see it as often as you'd believe. I mean granted, you go into downtown Havana and you will, but in the barrios etc, guayaberas (mostly home made stuff) was the usual. It was usually an open neck type shirt jacket worn over another shirt, both very light, essentially a long sleeve guayabera. I see this on quite alot of the old photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMYLkpYxX8
here's some eye candy for you though

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My grandfather was stationed in Santo Domingo just before he retired from the State Department and they retired on the west coast of Florida. He always wore a Panama hat, a guayabera and linen pants. As for it being 110, well my mother-in-law lives in south Florida and comes to visit every August and says it's much hotter here (near D.C.) than back home. Yesterday, it was 102.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
To each his own, my friend.
But nobody is getting me in any form of formal wear, when I am sitting all by myself, working on my PC in the shadow in my own garden.;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
L1000474JPG-2.jpg

A VINTAGE rosary and a cigar! ;-)

That's a classic Søren :D La dolce vita eh mate?

Linen is great if the mercury is bubbling. And I'd say go with shorts if you can, if you must wear long trousers make sure they're linen, stay away from denim, you'll pass out.

Going to the pub a lot helps as well.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
That's a classic Søren :D La dolce vita eh mate?

Linen is great if the mercury is bubbling. And I'd say go with shorts if you can, if you must wear long trousers make sure they're linen, stay away from denim, you'll pass out.

Going to the pub a lot helps as well.

Spot on, Smithy. And you couldn't even see the icecold Campari & Soda in front of me.:D

Edward

Bartender
I have to avoid much alcohol at this time of year, or the dehydrating effect thereof kicks in very quickly. Having had a kidneystone already this year, I sure don't want to do anything that'll risk another! I have, though, never yet been in a climate where short trousers were at all a necessity. Sensible, gorwn-man's linen trousers are perfectly adequate in the heat. :)

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Jus...

Spitfire said:
To each his own, my friend.
But nobody is getting me in any form of formal wear, when I am sitting all by myself, working on my PC in the shadow in my own garden.;)

...funnin' you.

I'm deep in a cool building, and would wear my jacket if I wanted to.

BTW,:eek:fftopic:, but my F-22, F-16, and F-15 pilots take strong exception to your subscript.

Edward

Bartender
Last couple of weeks as it's been hot here, I've been changing into my Pjs and a light, cotton dressing gown when I get home if not going out in the evening. Those and a nice pair of leather slippers..... Similar to Winter loungewear around the house, although in cooler months the gown I wear is a quilted silk affair I picked up in Beijing. :)

Maguire

Practically Family
Here's another one from Cuba in the less wealthy parts of Havana, my grandfather at some point, probably the 1940s.

scan0001-2.jpg

He was certainly not rich by any standing, and most of his clothes was made at home by his mother, so it says alot. It looks like a guayabera to me, or at least a jacket like one. You could fry an egg in the streets there, i doubt even Florida gets as hot as Havana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass