Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear in 110 degree heat with high humidity?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maguire said:
i doubt even Florida gets as hot as Havana.
Havana has pretty much the same climate as Miami. Mind you Florida is awash in A/C while Cuba...........not so much.

BTW, great photo of your grandfather.

Maguire

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Havana has pretty much the same climate as Miami. Mind you Florida is awash in A/C while Cuba...........not so much.

BTW, great photo of your grandfather.
Yes i saw a documentary on the Cuban/South African negotiations during the war in Angola and the cuban diplomat is boasting about how the SA diplomats were sweating and couldn't cope with either their cigar smoking or the lack of AC. It was a macho boast on his part, but i figured if even the diplomat at high level doesn't have AC, i can't imagine many of the average cubans having it either. I suppose when you are born and raised in the climate, you don't think about it.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Maguire said:
Here's another one from Cuba in the less wealthy parts of Havana, my grandfather at some point, probably the 1940s.

scan0001-2.jpg

He was certainly not rich by any standing, and most of his clothes was made at home by his mother, so it says alot. It looks like a guayabera to me, or at least a jacket like one. You could fry an egg in the streets there, i doubt even Florida gets as hot as Havana.

Dear Maguire,
Great photo! Thanks for the background. I must say, a detail I NEVER would have imagined are the fitted cuffs on the shirt/jacket—I am always amazed at how much warmer buttoning cuffs (or collar) over the pulse points makes me; a good thing when slightly chilly....but not with the weather you describe in Havana.

"Skeet"

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Hi johnnyelvis - Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, and to Florida! :eusa_doh: I agree with the others here on fabrics and clothing/hats, and while a towel might save you at home or on an intergalactic mission, I'd recommend some cotton handkerchiefs too. Carry one with you at all times to wipe the sweat from your brow, and another if you prefer them to kleenex. That, and seek refuge in air conditioning, alot! :p

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Well, it all depends on where you're spending the day. Ive been wearing my tweed for a few days, but thats moving from building to building and staying cool in the AC. If i had had to stay outside, i would have died. I suggest light cotton shirts with your preference of pants, straw hat, the stuff everyone else had been endorsing pretty much. Welcome to Florida!
Wolfe

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Maguire said:
I've got alot of photos of my folks back there and you don't see it as often as you'd believe. I mean granted, you go into downtown Havana and you will, but in the barrios etc, guayaberas (mostly home made stuff) was the usual. It was usually an open neck type shirt jacket worn over another shirt, both very light, essentially a long sleeve guayabera. I see this on quite alot of the old photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMYLkpYxX8
here's some eye candy for you though

Thanks for that film. It makes the present condition of the most beautiful city in Latin America even more painful. A Colombian friend said to me the other day that he been recently in Cuba and it was so bad he advised me not to visit it - which is what I would like to do. Somewhere around the Lounge is a short film from Havana of the 30s that I posted.

Maguire do you have any fotos of your abuelito or family in their lin 100 suits that you could post?

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Dear Maguire,
Great photo! Thanks for the background. I must say, a detail I NEVER would have imagined are the fitted cuffs on the shirt/jacket—I am always amazed at how much warmer buttoning cuffs (or collar) over the pulse points makes me; a good thing when slightly chilly....but not with the weather you describe in Havana.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Mycubanstore.com have Irish linen guayaberas on sale in the long sleeves for weddings. http://www.mycubanstore.com/100-irish-linen-cuban-stlye-elegant-french-cuffs-long-sleeve

Maguire

Practically Family
cookie said:
Thanks for that film. It makes the present condition of the most beautiful city in Latin America even more painful. A Colombian friend said to me the other day that he been recently in Cuba and it was so bad he advised me not to visit it - which is what I would like to do. Somewhere around the Lounge is a short film from Havana of the 30s that I posted.

Maguire do you have any fotos of your abuelito or family in their lin 100 suits that you could post?

Mycubanstore.com have Irish linen guayaberas on sale in the long sleeves for weddings. http://www.mycubanstore.com/100-irish-linen-cuban-stlye-elegant-french-cuffs-long-sleeve

thanks for the link but the sizes always are a hitch, they are either too short on the sleeves or too boxy and huge on the body for me. I do have a nice short sleeve one i got ages ago on the cheap from there, it was plain but no complaints. My issue is if i'm going to pay for a decent guayabera i want one that will fit me very well, otherwise no point.

And keep in mind that the Cuba seen in that documentary was the bustling, business area and the richer parts. I assure you that the countryside in Cuba and much of the city was as poor (if not poorer) then than now, and while my folks there have to work their tail off to get by, they do get the basic necessities. Honestly Cuba was doing pretty well until the 90s. It always had a better economy than most of its neighbors, from independence throughout the revolution etc, but it used to go through booms and busts constantly. I have in mind to see Cuba soon, but obviously it isn't easy. Keep in mind Cuba's neighbors are hardly better, and probably worse off in terms of poverty levels, crime issues, and general economic situation (the DR, Haiti, Mexico, any Central american country, even Colombia)

My grandfather didn't often wear suits, and rarely put a tie on, but i do have some old vintage pre 1955( when he left) pics. I'll take a look again later and see what i've got if its relevant for this thread. I'm sure i've posted some before.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Houston just may have the nastiest summers in the US. That's where I learned about the value of the undershirt. Sounds incongruous to add another layer but it works. It's also where I learned to keep a change of shirt/undershirt stashed in the car, office and club.

Wait until August, it's not even started here yet.

Lenore

Practically Family
Absinthe_1900 said:
Wait until August, it's not even started here yet.

Right? I actually wore jeans out tonight at the Dynamo game.

Later this summer I wouldn't dare. I'm thinking about making an orange cotton dress for such occasions.

johnnyelvis

New in Town
thanks

Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions!! I'm new here and totally dig these forums. I grabbed some linen pants and shirts all light colors, so I'm excited to get out and try these out. I know it hasn't been 110 degrees here in Florida but it damn well feels that way some afternoons, and it is always the humidity that makes 90 degrees feel like 100.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
This might get me slapped, mickeyed, or tasered, depending on the preferred tactic of bartenders, but...
Going commando helps quite a bit. Aside from that, walk slow, drink (water) heavily, keep your heart rate down and your hat on your head.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lenore said:
From a place with actual 110 degree heat and swamp like humidity, I second, third and fourth, additional cotton undergarments and clothes of cotton, linen, and rayon.

If I'm not in an office, I'm in a cotton/linen/rayon dress with a cotton slip. I wouldn't suggest that for your wardrobe. You might look a little odd in a light cotton dress. ;)

Although... lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Geronimo said:
Going commando helps quite a bit.
Actually, the same cooling effect gained by wearing an undershirt also applies to undershorts. ;) Plus, I couldn't imagine going commando in dress pants....

Lenore

Practically Family
Geronimo said:
This might get me slapped, mickeyed, or tasered, depending on the preferred tactic of bartenders, but...
Going commando helps quite a bit. Aside from that, walk slow, drink (water) heavily, keep your heart rate down and your hat on your head.

My husband, who is home today, wished to pass on some advice which thankfully he did not elaborate on. Keep your shorts on and two words: Talcum Powder. :eusa_doh:

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Lenore said:
My husband, who is home today, wished to pass on some advice which thankfully he did not elaborate on. Keep your shorts on and two words: Talcum Powder. :eusa_doh:
My fiance swears by gold bond for the same purpose, I speculate.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
90 Is Hot

johnnyelvis said:
I know it hasn't been 110 degrees here in Florida but it damn well feels that way some afternoons, and it is always the humidity that makes 90 degrees feel like 100.
This reminds me of the time my grandmother visited us in Tucson, Arizona in the 60s. She raised 7 kids and was born and raised in Iowa. She was complaining about the 90 degree heat and my mother said, well its not like Iowa 90s with 90 percent humidity, my grandmother just said "90 degrees is 90 degrees and thats hot"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko