Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Those are some CRAZY lapels!

Um...Brown generally goes with anything, but I don't think it goes with black. At least not in this instance.

I'd suggest a black, or grey trilby or fedora. Or a grey or black homburg (although those are rather more formal-ish).

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
The lapels are not the only thing that is crazy about this suit... The Shoulderpads border on zoot territory, and that is one the reasons it's so hard for me to pick up a style... I also thought on a fedora, but I think a trilby would look disproportional compared with the shoulderpads... as for the color... I wore a black shirt because of the black and white spectators, but do you really think brown would look better?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I just can't see brown working with this. Black tends to be a rather formal colour and brown is more casual. You may as well wear a baseball cap, if you get my drift.

I think black, or dark/light grey would do. Either a trilby, homburg or a fedora.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That suit is so bold that I can't imagine any hat really going with it. It also has quite a casual styling, making me think a really good cap would be just the thing. What about one of Johnny J's widest, broadest brimmed caps, in a bold silver/grey? Maybe even in the diamond pattern fabric that is shown in the thread.(see http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65053-Cordova-Handmade-Caps-Johnny-J-s-work)

For me, that would be a striking combination.

Good luck.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Bluegrass Akubra Campdraft, or grey-green Stetson Playboy with a matching mid-width ribbon.
I think a boater with a grey-green ribbon would also look good in that combo.

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Splintercellz: Too bad it's slightly big for me... Otherwise it looks like it would look great with this suit... Thanks for the suggestion!
Two types: I actually have a newsboy cap in a style that I think would fit the suit, maybe I'll post pictures of it... And BTW, those caps look absolutely stunning! I might actually buy one sometime...
Shangas, Bowlerman, Rudie: I will look into those styles, the boater is a hat i like, but haven't really had the courage (Or the opportunity) to pull it off... And I think I'll stick to a fedora. Thank you!
Egghead: There is one, that has been here for about 50 or so years, I'll certainly visit it sometime.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you need a men's dress hat, not in the Open Road or Campdraft style. A light gray (or "dove gray") hat with a brim of not less than 2 1/2", not too high a crown, would be my choice. A stingy brim is no good for that, IMHO.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
PowerSuit1.jpg

For this suit, you might want to go with a fedora that has late 1940s proportions: low crown (under 5" bashed) and wide brim (2.75"). See the photo of Alan Ladd below. Or you could go for a slightly more '50s look, like Marlon Brando does in the bottom three photos. The best color for the fedora would be a pale mint green, but that's hard to find.

Ladd_zps86fb67f7.jpg

simmons-and-brando_zpsc700af31.jpg

il_fullxfull240845704_zpsd659d466.jpg

Annex-BrandoMarlonGuysandDolls_01_zps3e301c47.jpg

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
That suit looks like it would be complemented by a pork pie hat in black or very dark green. But a medium or wide brim, I think, not stingy. Oh, and you might want to carry a trumpet around too...

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
The suit is indeed made out of thick flannel, and It's quite heavy, so it's more suitable for cooler weather. A porkpie... I have never even considered that one in the first place... carldelo, Do you have a picture of the hat you're describing? I've never seen a porkpie with a wide brim...

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I'm not a big fan of loose floppy type slacks, as I have skinny legs. I look much better in jeans. Something I like are brown jeans, moleskins or similar weight trousers. I haven't tried it yet, but I think they would go well with the Akubra Adventurer I just bought. I've tried the adventurer with a sports coat, and that looked a bit dated - Well, the vintage look is good, but I think if you are going to do that, you have to do it well, and I don't feel that confident about doing that look real well, and I don't have many opportunities to dress up that much. So yeah, I will be wearing it with jeans, but will be looking to getting myself some brown jeans or moleskins to work with the fedora in future. I don't wear t-shirts or polos much anymore. I think when you are getting middle aged and getting a paunch, button up shirts, both long sleeve and short, are much more flattering than t-shirts or polos, regardless of what you are or aren't wearing on your head.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Jeans and fedoras are great. IMHO, the fedora is no longer primarily a "dress" hat. Dress it can be, but it is at home in a wider, and less formal setting now. We may wear the same hat our fathers wore, but most don't don't dress like them. The more folks who see fedoras causal presentations, the more fedoras we are going to see folks sporting - IMHO, of course.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo