Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Coming from "Cowboy Country" I pretty much wear jeans everywhere but church. So I do jeans and hats together quite often.
Though I do wonder what kind of hat just won't work with jeans...? like say a top hat?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

I have recently purchased a black Fedora, during the winter I wore it with my suit and overcoat to work, or in my leisure time, I wear it with either smart slacks or jeans, sweater & leather jackt, all of which look fine..
Now the warmer weather is coming, do you it's ok, to wear the Fedora, with just the slacks/jeans & smart sweater? Your comments would be most welcome. Tks Steve.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I wear my fedora's with sweaters and jeans all the time. Might want to look into a Panama for the summer months. It is 75 degree's here today getting into the straw hat season soon.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Personally I avoid jeans like the plague when wearing a fedora (unless it's a more casual, thin-ribbon), but yeah, slacks and sweater sound fine. -M

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I like to wear cargo pants or shorts and an aloha shirt with a felt fedora ... as long as it's not hot enough that I sweat it out.
They're also great with jeans, slacks, shirt and tie, shirt and no tie, shirt and vest, leather jacket, khaki travel jacket, safari jacket, field jacket, bow tie, straight tie, and, if I wore one, a t-shirt .... I just don't like to wear a t-shirt other than just around the house...

Black may not go with everything ... fedoras in general certainly do

Pajamas, too

Sam

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pajamas, too

Sam

GAWD Sam, now I'm twitching and have a new tick just picturing that whole thing. What are you doing channeling Vincent Gigante?? Fireman jammies, skinny black tie, bunny slippers, topped of with a black fedora with a dark gray ribbon.

Twitch, TWITCH...

Later

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I wear my fedora's with sweaters and jeans all the time. Might want to look into a Panama for the summer months. It is 75 degree's here today getting into the straw hat season soon.

Thank you for your comments, most useful, i'll carry on wearing with sweaters & jeans/slacks and I was infact thinking of getting a Panama fro the summer as they look good too.

Rgds Steve.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Personally I avoid jeans like the plague when wearing a fedora (unless it's a more casual, thin-ribbon), but yeah, slacks and sweater sound fine. -M

Thanks for advice, I don't wear jeans at all is to the office, they are not permitted at work, where we wear either suits or smart slacks, shirt, tie & sweater and that's not a problem as far as I am concerned & Fedora of course. I do recall getting into trouble years ago at school when I wore instead of the normal uniform, a pair of jeans which again were not allowed, the result of that error of judgement was I had to stay back after school and write 500 lines, plus 3 strokes of the cane!
Rgds from a wet London UK.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Here in the states dress is more casual an it depends on the profession. Like you I went to school with coat and tie and my old high school still requires it.
At any event now days you are likely to see someone in shorts and flipflops and the next person in a suit and tie. I have dress pants I just wear a dark deim jean and landsend sweater and polo dress shirt its what I feel comfortable in.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
GAWD Sam, now I'm twitching and have a new tick just picturing that whole thing. What are you doing channeling Vincent Gigante?? Fireman jammies, skinny black tie, bunny slippers, topped of with a black fedora with a dark gray ribbon.

Twitch, TWITCH...

Later

Well, you know, out here in the stix we don't have to keep up the appearances like you do in the BIG CITY!

They do frown on wearing jammies to church or formal city occasions, however.

Frankly, in this small of a town, when you wear a fedora ... usually ... as often as I do, you are already branded as an excentric, at the very least, so if I ever do slip into public wear of fireman jammies, it would not come as that great of a surprise.

Sam

1961MJS

Hey Sam, I'll be in town for the Spring State 4H match on Saturday the 16th of April. I'll be wearing a Navy hoodie with gold 4H lettering, I think it says Sedgwick County on the back, but I don't remember. I have brown hair and a beard. I'll wear my black fedora, a couple of guys on the team are wearing stingy brims now. I don't know what time we're shooting, but I'll email when I find out. I coach the Air Pistol teams in the Winter and the smallbore pistol teams in the summer.

Later

I wear a fedora with nice jeans and always get compliments. Slacks look better, though. My recommendation would be to buy a panama or other straw hat for the summer.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I'm sure I'll make several people here cringe, but I wear my fedoras with just about anything. I routinely wear them with t-shirts, and even zip up hoodies. On my lower body is either jeans or a kilt. Now that it's getting warmer, I'll probably leave my black fedora for evenings, and wear my grey during the day. Eventually I'll pick up a panama, but I doubt I'll ever stop wearing felts.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think jeans are fine with a fedora, nothing wrong with it. Even if you were going for more of an old fashioned or "period" look, there were always some back then that did wear their fedora with jeans, as in during the Great Depression for example. I think it would be a nice casual look if you wore one with chinos, slacks, and a collared shirt, though. This is something I do very often. A blazer or sport coat, even without a tie, would be great too. Jeans and a collared shirt are what I wear most of the time while wearing one. You may wear it with whatever you would like, I don't think there's a wrong way to wear a fedora under most circumstances.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I started wearing a farmers/ball cap when I was about 10.They didn't have kid sizes,so I had to adjust the sizing strap so tight to fit my head back then that the back of the cap made a big point that stuck out almost as much as the visor on the front.After almost 40 years of never going anywhere without my cap,I bought a couple fedoras to wear when I wanted to dress up a little.I went to the Biltmore factory outlet store, and picked out two steel greys, one with a 2 1/4" brim,and one with 1 7/8".I wore the stingy out of the store and found it so comfortable, and enjoyable to wear.I was suprised also to find how well it stays on my head on windy days.I don't think I've worn a ballcap more than once or twice since.Once you get used to it, a fedora goes with anything, even my grey hoodie and Liberty Overalls,which is pretty much my uniform this time of year.My advice:place hat on head,Walk out of door.And enjoy!

danofarlington

I'm sure I'll make several people here cringe, but I wear my fedoras with just about anything. I routinely wear them with t-shirts, and even zip up hoodies. On my lower body is either jeans or a kilt. Now that it's getting warmer, I'll probably leave my black fedora for evenings, and wear my grey during the day. Eventually I'll pick up a panama, but I doubt I'll ever stop wearing felts.

You don't have to worry too much about what all the fuddy-duddies like myself think. I like fedoras dressed up to some degree, at least with a collared shirt. But that doesn't stop others from making combinations they think go well together. What one person can pull off, another person can't. And because fedoras basically amount to a new fashion nowadays, wearers, especially the younger ones, can try whatever they like. At some point the reality of the situation will dictate what one person can pull off. But if you can wear 'em with a tee shirt, it's OK as far as I'm concerned. On this forum I have seen some of the goofiest-looking plaid hats look good on the fellows who post a photo, and these are hats I wouldn't consider in a hundred years, which is almost my age.

bradbraden

New in Town
Personally I wouldn't wear one with t shirts or sweats, but thats just me, wear what you want. I like to wear them with a collared shirt preferably with a tie. I also like them combined with the leather jacket, but Indy comments do start to get old.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Wear whatever you want with it. I don't have a fedora so to speak, but I do wear my Stetson Open Road with jeans, t-shirts, collared shirts, suits, just what ever I feel like. I could care less what is technically appropriate or whatever. If I want to wear my hat I do. Just like they did back in the day when hats weren't a fashion statement but something that protected you from the elements. Nothing has changed for me and never will. I will wear outside at five in the morning taking the dog outside in my PJ's and Carhart jacket if the weather dictates it. :)>

earl

A-List Customer
While I've only worn my felt fedora to work with dressier clothes, don't see a problem with jeans/more casual clothes. Wouldn't wear felt in summer due to heat, either for work or casual. But, have to say when it comes to the shorts, (which I wear all summer), and T-shirts/aloha shirts, etc., if you're goona wear a brimmed hat, make it straw for weather and fashion-sake. Earl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy