Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

GamaH

A-List Customer
Photoshop is your friend :D

Oh, thanks for reminding me about that! I had completely forgotten about that. Yeah I did try that before buying my first straw fedora; it's how I knew I would look decent in a fedora. :p

I just looked at that one on the website, with a black band, it just might work.
The smoke gray one is not bad either!

The smoke gray one was my first choice; unfortunately, it's no longer on the swatch, so I'm not too sure it's available.

Last edited:

cyamamot

New in Town
Hi Fedora Lounge!

This is my first post after purchasing a Stetson Inwood as my first hat! Got it from Sid's Clothing in Chicago. 1 3/4in brim, and i think a 4in crown? However i'm surprised the search bar didn't actually find this hat anywhere on the site.

Anyway, being a college student with a slightly limited wardrobe, I was wondering of a few tips to dress casually with a more dressy type fedora. I do have button down shirts and polos, and jeans of course, but I couldn't think of any good outfits to wear just around campus and to class besides very dressy ones.

Thanks everyone!

Achturn

New in Town
What I tend to wear as a casual outfit around my campus is a button down shirt with a pair of good (no holes) jeans, and a varying hat to suit my clothing choice for the day. I see that as being a nice outfit that's casual without bumming it.

out of curiosity I'd love to see the hat though! what color is it?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

You can also pick up a sportcoat or two, and add one of those as temperatures cool off. (On a budget, check out the local Goodwill, and some estate sales.) You can put jeans, sportcoat, and hat together without it being too dressy for campus.

cyamamot

New in Town
It's the basic black, a photo is to upload soon! I figured black would be a good safe color, and since i swing dance, would go quite well with just about anything. I may have to get some new hat feathers that are blue, because most of my wardrobe is blue. With the exception of a red shirt from goodwill that surprisingly worked with the hat (with the red feather)

Added: It's also a furfelt hat.

Last edited:

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
I'm a high school student, and I find that shorter brimmed hats are significantly less dressy. Depending on the color, you could just wear it with normal clothes as long as it matches a bit. That's what I do with a mustard colored stingy I have. It's usually my go to hat, or my even my 3X grey Stetson, and it has a brim just over 2 inches.

HatsEnough

Banned
I am always interested to see people's "idea" of what is dressy and what isn't in a fedora.

DavidJ, for instance, thinks that a short brim is somehow "less dressy."
Some think a black fedora of any kind is "too formal."
Others think a thin ribbon fedora is "dressy" while others think they aren't.

Seems to me that, personal tastes aside, we're so far away from the era of fedoras that people are uninformed about the whole concept.

In the old days all fedoras were considered casual, no matter what the color or the ribbon style. Only top hats and homburgs were considered more formal hats. Black hats were extremely common and no one considered them "formal" and brims of all sizes were worn with casual or business clothes.

Me, I think a fedora can be worn with just about anything, business, casual, or "dressy." Any color works as long as it goes with the clothes well. Of course, I won't wear a hat of less than 2-1/4 brim and dang few at that. But then we get to tastes there.

rbyates

New in Town
For winter, I think fedoras are great with peacoats, topcoats, any kind of heavy wool coat in general. Oxford shirts work very well, and I think you could get away with a nice sweater.

Oxfords again for spring, as well as polos, dressyish button ups, etc. Really, collars help the hat a lot, just something that shows effort. Fedoras are slowly moving back into high fashion, so we're seeing looks that interpret things in a modern way. Ermanno Scervino has great examples of casual outfits for fedoras.

For fall/winter, nice coats, sweaters
http://images.vogue.it/imgs/sfilate...rvino/collezione/Base/ermannoscervino_009.jpg

For spring/summer, casual collared shirts, clean cut trousers. You can never go wrong with good trousers.
http://images.vogue.it/imgs/sfilate/p-e-12/ermanno-scervino/collezione/Base/ermannoscervino_024.jpg

Of course, those examples are stingy brimmed; I can't really wear much past a 2 inch brim on my narrow face without looking silly, but it may be different for you.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I'm a high school student, and I find that shorter brimmed hats are significantly less dressy. Depending on the color, you could just wear it with normal clothes as long as it matches a bit. That's what I do with a mustard colored stingy I have. It's usually my go to hat, or my even my 3X grey Stetson, and it has a brim just over 2 inches.

I find that the brim isn't what determines dressiness, it's the ribbon. Once you're at 2" or above, you're solidly in the dressy zone. I wear my Adventurebilt with a red t-shirt and brown cargo pants all the time and it looks great, and the brim is about 2.5" -M

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I have a stingy that I wear with more casual clothing. Even with a tee shirt. My hats with wider brims I think look better with a collared shirt. One I think even needs a jacket. But like someone else said, It is up to the wearer what they consider dressy or casual.

job

One Too Many
You would think black goes with everything but I find it helps to add some black clothing to help tie in the black hat. A black shirt, belt, or shoes.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Where I live, men rarely wear collared shirts, long pants or closed shoes unless going out to dinner, to work (white collar), to a religious service, or a funeral (I guess that's a religious service as well). Getting 'dressed up' is a collared shirt, long pants, and if you're lucky, shoes instead of sneakers.

For me, casual includes a collared shirt. My favorites of this moment are safari shirts - heavy cotton, flap pockets, and epaulets. I wear a contrasting short sleeve henley underneath. Long pants are either cotton slacks, or jeans. I don't wear sneakers anymore unless I'm engaged in some sort of sports activity.

My main color palette is earth tones, so most of my clothes, except the henleys (and jeans) are various shades of browns, tans and greens.

As long as colors look like they go together, I'm okay.

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Where I live, men rarely wear collared shirts, long pants or closed shoes unless going out to dinner, to work (white collar), to a religious service, or a funeral (I guess that's a religious service as well). Getting 'dressed up' is a collared shirt, long pants, and if you're lucky, shoes instead of sneakers.

For me, casual includes a collared shirt. My favorites of this moment are safari shirts - heavy cotton, flap pockets, and epaulets. I wear a contrasting short sleeve henley underneath. Long pants are either cotton slacks, or jeans. I don't wear sneakers anymore unless I'm engaged in some sort of sports activity.

My main color palette is earth tones, so most of my clothes, except the henleys (and jeans) are various shades of browns, tans and greens.

As long as colors look like they go together, I'm okay.

Wow you sound more like you live on the Jersey Shore then Long Island. I am glad to Know that those of us on the North side of the Sound still know how to dress. ;)

Jeff

cyamamot

New in Town
Here is a photo of my hat that i promised.

I think im getting the idea of what formal and casual is now with hats being quite new to this world of clothing. I do have a peacoat, so when it gets colder out, im thinking of wearing it with that.

Stetson_Inwood.jpg

Last edited:

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
That does look like a pretty dressy hat. You probably ought to get an open road style hat to go with it, for a more casual look in a true silverbelly by Stetson or Resistol. And a brown or tan hat might be handly.

Yes, you will need more hats for sure-LOL! I wear all my fedoras with jeans and a button up shirt. I also wear them with my suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran