Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
"Earth Girls are Easy", with Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, and a very young Jim Carrey. It had its moments.

:eusa_clap
The best piece of camp ever made.

I watched The Host last night. It was great!

LD

zaika

One Too Many
I've never been a John Wayne fan, mostly because my dad watched his movies nonstop as a kid and it bored the heck out of me. But I'm currently watching The Shepherd of the Hills (1941) and...I can totally see the draw to him. Besides...he's awfully handsome. :)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I finally watched "The Road to Perdition" last night. My roomates seemed a bit bored and disturbed by it but I loved it. My kind of dark movie.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I sat down last night to watch our latest attraction at the theatre, "My Best Friend," a French comedy with Daniel Auteuil as a snobbish, manipulative antique dealer who is challenged to prove he has even one friend. He ends up bonding with a gabby, trivia-obsessed taxicab driver in spite of himself, complications ensue, and lessons are learned.

It's a very sweet and unpretentious film with some truly meaningful observations on the meaning of friendship. Highly recommended.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Mother and I watched The Maltese Falcon. I asked which did she like best, that film, or Casablanca or Key Largo.

She said she couldn't remember enough to recall what she liked best. Oh, well, she is 88 and is not much of Bogart fan, like Robert Taylor and Clark Gable better. Plus I think she has a mild case of anhedonia.

I thought Mary Astor was a hoot -- remember first seeing this film in a NYC art movie house in the early 70's. Every time Astor changed direction, the audience would roar.

Only one left of the boxed set, The Big Sleep, and I will watch that next, the only one I haven't seen before.

karol

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Last night my wife and I watched WITNESS for the Prosecution. I had seen the 1957, B/W film many years ago, but this was the first time for my wife. She professed a dislike for Charles Laughton, and had reservations about watching the film. Fast forward to the end and she said she loved it! I must confess, I didn't recall all the twists and turns, so it was a treat for me as well. A cinematic gem!

zaika said:
I've never been a John Wayne fan, mostly because my dad watched his movies nonstop as a kid and it bored the heck out of me. But I'm currently watching The Shepherd of the Hills (1941) and...I can totally see the draw to him. Besides...he's awfully handsome. :)
Awww, who could hate the Duke? Setting aside Marion Morrison's disguises (stage-name, elevator shoes, "tummy-tucker"), the various roles of John Wayne were all one thing: authentic, by which I mean each was someone who presented himself as exactly what he was. (Which, strangely for someone gifted in subterfuge, I see as one of the most admirable qualities a person can have...)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
Grace Kelly double wammy on AMC tonight for me.

Rear Window and Dial M for Murder.

Oh! Wish I'd seen those! I was busily watching Dirty Jobs.

Last movie I watched: The Villain, late last night. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ann-Margaret and Kirk Douglas. Such a live-action cartoon! :D

Lee

zaika

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Awww, who could hate the Duke? Setting aside Marion Morrison's disguises (stage-name, elevator shoes, "tummy-tucker"), the various roles of John Wayne were all one thing: authentic, by which I mean each was someone who presented himself as exactly what he was. (Which, strangely for someone gifted in subterfuge, I see as one of the most admirable qualities a person can have...)

I once interviewed an author for my high school paper who used to work for him. She said he was one of the most decent and authentic people in Hollywood that she ever met.
Too bad her books sucked...and she wasn't too nice. I sent her my article and she never ever responded.
Psht. Jerk.

Doh!

One Too Many
zaika said:

Check out The Cowboys. One of my favorite Wayne movies and it also shows what a good actor he could be.

Plus, you'll just hate Bruce Dern after seeing it!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched Kubrick's 'Lolita' on cable last evening. Funny thing, I had been listening to the soundtrack earlier in the day. I can't get that 'wah wah' tune out of my head.lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
John Wayne was a huge star but a limited actor... however, in the right roles, he was just fantastic. Folks who are dubious about Wayne's acting ability should make a point of seeing Red River, The Quiet Man, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Shootist - just for starters.

My cinema club (which screens not-yet-released indie and foreign on Sunday mornings - you never know what you're going to see until you get there) showed the new documentary "My Kid Could Paint That" yesterday. This is about the little girl in Binghamton, NY who makes abstract paintings that are good enough to hang in world-class museums, and whose work began selling for thousands of dollars apiece when she was just 4 years old. A 60 Minutes piece on her suggested that her father was giving her too much guidance or subsequently polishing her work, which led to some conflict. I thought the documentary was interesting, but too long at 83 minutes (but I did like it; the rest of my family totally hated it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner