Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
De Palma's 'The Black Dahlia' premiered on HBO last night. I'd been looking forward to viewing it...especially since it's a 'De Palma.' To tell you the truth I was disappointed. I think it OD'd on noir.

Quigley Brown said:
De Palma's 'The Black Dahlia' premiered on HBO last night. I'd been looking forward to viewing it...especially since it's a 'De Palma.' To tell you the truth I was disappointed. I think it OD'd on noir.
THere was something about how the scenes are cut and the way the elements are layed out that gives a disjointed feel to it, it doesn't flow as well as it should. Still many neat scenes.

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Just got done watching 300 finally. Definitely a good flick, and I liked the use of guitars and drums instead of symphonic stuff, it was a nice change from the typical dramatic history movie.

Also watched Casablanca last night, which while being a great movie, I think overall I enjoyed The Maltese Falcon more.

V

VargasBaby

Watched "Memoirs of a Geisha" again last night. That movie is still visually stunning to me. Course, not as good as the book, but then few are...

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nanny Diaries--I considered it mediocre despite the redeeming factor of having Scarlett Johansson. My wife had read the book (which she really liked), and thought the movie was okay (although not as good as the book).

Miss Potter--This one is a real winner. We watched on DVD a couple of nights ago. Highly recommended.

carter

I'll Lock Up
North by Northwest

For the more-times-than-I-remembereth time. Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Leo G. Carroll, Martin Landau...what a swell movie.

Popcorn anyone? :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
North by Northwest

For the more-times-than-I-remembereth time. Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Leo G. Carroll, Martin Landau...what a swell movie.

Popcorn anyone? :)

One of my all time favorites too, practically every scene is a classic. She's a really minor character but I love Roger's secretary; "Here's a little something for your sweet tooth baby, and all your other sweet parts too" he dictates and she gives him this great look.

I saw 2 Days in Paris and I liked it very much. I thought it was really funny, good acting--just a little, Woody Allenish slice of life.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night I watched 'Stranger Than Fiction' (2006) staring Will Farrell and Emma Thompson. What a treat! Like Adam Sandler in 'Punch Drunk Love' and Jim Carrey in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,' Will Farrell sort of breaks the mold of being a comedy actor. Still, it has its funny moments. I highly recommend it.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Hoping to get round to "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" tonight...

It's that kind of weather here!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Last night I watched 'Stranger Than Fiction' (2006) staring Will Farrell and Emma Thompson. What a treat! Like Adam Sandler in 'Punch Drunk Love' and Jim Carrey in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,' Will Farrell sort of breaks the mold of being a comedy actor. Still, it has its funny moments. I highly recommend it.

I saw this about a month ago and forgot to post about it. This was one of those movies my friends wanted to see more than I did but I ended up really, really loving it. Nice to see Emma playing against type and Maggie Gyllenhaal is always good. Will Ferrell was a pleasant surprise too, wasn't he? Stylistically bits of the film reminded me of Fight Club--with the superimposed graphics (from the catalog in FC, from the watch in STF). Also, I bought the soundtrack.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:

I just watched that the other night--I was pleasantly surprised, especially with Will Farrell. I still don't think he has the range of Jim Carrey, but he certainly has come a long way from his SNL schtick (but "More Cowbell" is still so classic...)

Last night, I saw 3:10 to Yuma, and it was fantastic. Russell Crowe is at the pinnacle of cool, and it has all the elements of a classic western.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
I saw this about a month ago and forgot to post about it. This was one of those movies my friends wanted to see more than I did but I ended up really, really loving it. Nice to see Emma playing against type and Maggie Gyllenhaal is always good. Will Ferrell was a pleasant surprise too, wasn't he? Stylistically bits of the film reminded me of Fight Club--with the superimposed graphics (from the catalog in FC, from the watch in STF). Also, I bought the soundtrack.

Yes, we bought this on DVD when it came out. It's very good, and is Ferrell's best role since Elf (also highly recommended).

vonwotan

Practically Family
We just watched Memoirs of a Geisha over the weekend. Last weekend was House of Flying Daggers and Hero. In addition to the beautiful cinematography, we really admire the use of fabrics and the combination of patterns in the costumes.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Late last night I started watching 'The New World' (2005) a fictionalized story about Capt. John Smith and Pocahontas at Jamestown in 1607. I fell asleep half-way into it...only because I was tired. I'm definitely going to watch it again. The director is Terrence Malick (remember 'Badlands?').

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
vonwotan said:
We just watched Memoirs of a Geisha over the weekend. Last weekend was House of Flying Daggers and Hero. In addition to the beautiful cinematography, we really admire the use of fabrics and the combination of patterns in the costumes.
Very beautiful movies all; a feast for the eyes.

nyx

One of the Regulars
vonwotan said:

Hero is one of my favorites. The different tellings of the stories are what makes it for me, and the use of colors in each one is gorgeous. Although, I have a tough time taking the the guy playing Broken Sword seriously, because in older chinese films he's played a lot of goofballs. I kept waiting for him to start making faces and falling a lot. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner