Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Just to comment on a couple of the mentions of There Will Be Blood up above:

I think this film was outrageously overrated. Yes, Daniel Day-Lewis's performance was (as usual) wonderful, and the cinematography was very good, but the film was far too long, and it held no revelations - we're supposed to be surprised that ruthless oil tycoons are ruthless, or that power-hungry, self-impressed preachers can do more harm than good?!?

Anyway, I was very seriously disappointed...

And one other thing - Upton Sinclair wrote the original novel, not Sinclair Lewis. (I am a major Sinclair Lewis fan, and I get annoyed seeing this mistake made so frequently.)

Oh, and re Holiday, as I've said here before, it is a wonderfully smart picture, quite ahead of its time in its subject matter. It's by far my personal favorite of the Grant/Hepburn collaborations.

And re Michael Clayton, we must also note another outstanding supporting performance by Tom Wilkinson. He's practically my favorite character actor...

Did anyone notice that The Fall of the Roman Empire - an old favorite of mine - opens with the exact same events as Gladiator?

Bugsy

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Just to comment on a couple of the mentions of There Will Be Blood up above:

I think this film was outrageously overrated. Yes, Daniel Day-Lewis's performance was (as usual) wonderful, and the cinematography was very good, but the film was far too long, and it held no revelations - we're supposed to be surprised that ruthless oil tycoons are ruthless, or that power-hungry, self-impressed preachers can do more harm than good?!?

Anyway, I was very seriously disappointed...

And one other thing - Upton Sinclair wrote the original novel, not Sinclair Lewis. (I am a major Sinclair Lewis fan, and I get annoyed seeing this mistake made so frequently.)

Oh, and re Holiday, as I've said here before, it is a wonderfully smart picture, quite ahead of its time in its subject matter. It's by far my personal favorite of the Grant/Hepburn collaborations.

And re Michael Clayton, we must also note another outstanding supporting performance by Tom Wilkinson. He's practically my favorite character actor...

Did anyone notice that The Fall of the Roman Empire - an old favorite of mine - opens with the exact same events as Gladiator?

I could not agree with you more. I was almost bored.

Jack R.

New in Town
I recently watched "The Best Man" a great movie with real significance as this happens to be an election year. It was shot very well and I am still convinced that some Henry Fonda looks better in Black and White than he does in color.

Foofoogal

Banned
Wall-E this morning to get free watches for granddaughters.
Cute PG kid movie but be forewarned. Heavy set people may be heavy offended.
Strange really. [huh]

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why do they have to make children's movies PG? Just leave out the cuss word or the offensive joke and make it G already. Like Stuart Little. At my library if it's PG or higher it can't be in the children's room, it has to be displayed in the adult room, even if no adult would ever want to see it. I shake my head in disgust at the movie system.
Last night I saw Dark City and the beginning of Blade Runner at the Goth club, with no sound. Good ones.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I watched "The Maltese Falcon" a little earlier. For the first time ever.

Girl Friday said:
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, we just got a copy of it.

I am taking Hellboy to Blood Care with me tomorrow, in anticipation of the Part II.

Can't say that I'm a huge fan of the comics or the movie. But I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go with Johann Krauss in the new one. (That's not to say I don't like either.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We are having a huge hit with "The Fall," a film by Indian director Tarsem that defies all rational description. It's the story of a silent-movie stuntman, crippled by a stunt gone wrong, who tries to entice a little girl into stealing some morphine for him so he can kill himself -- and to convince her to do it, he comes up with a fabulous epic tale of adventure featuring a masked avenger, an Indian warrior, a mighty ex-slave, an Italian explosives expert, naturalist Charles Darwin, and a wise monkey -- who all join forces to destroy the evil Governor Odious.

I have never seen anything quite like it -- it is *not* what the description sounds like, it's a whole lot more. The most visual modern film I've ever seen -- and they even get the period details right! Well worth looking for -- I watched it Friday, and my eyeballs haven't stopped throbbing since.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Wow Lizzie, I have to see "The Fall" now, thank you for the tip!

I just watched "There Will Be Blood" after reading many comments of how disappointing others found it. I actually enjoyed it. Maybe having low expectations helped but I found the three or four storylines pretty interesting and I liked the ending, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy