Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
We're screening "Menashe," the story of a Hasidic fellow in Brooklyn and his triumphs and tragedies. He's a widower with a young son, under strong pressure from his rabbi to get married so that his son can have two parents, but he's not so sure whether he's ready for that, and from that simple setup a moving bit of drama is made. The cast is made up of non-professional actors drawn entirely from the Hasidic community, and if you want "authenticity," this would be it. It's also the first feature length film made in Yiddish since the 1930s, which makes it something of a cultural landmark.
Saw that one, believe it or not.

green papaya

One Too Many
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) starring Jodie Foster , Martin Sheen

Some little girls can be murder! Thirteen-year-old Rynn (Foster) is a gifted prodigy who lives in a big old house with her reclusive father...all alone. Or does she? When Rynn's nosy landlady and a lecherous neighbor (Sheen) begin to susupect that this little girl is hiding a dark and dangerous secret, Rynn is determined to preserve her isolated existence at any cost - and stop those vicious rumors dead in their tracks!

little girl who lives down the lane poster.jpg

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Destination Moon (1950). An attempt to combine entertainment with a scientific foundation. Woody Woodpecker educational short aside, it was a noble attempt to present a realistic story that would normally be classed as science fiction. Most of the actors wore hats of some kind, even the construction crew. Some sharp db suits by the leads.

And, last night, Arsenic and Old Lace, our Halloween tradition, for movie night.
Coolly enough, the movie opens on October 31, with a Brooklyn Dodgers game, mirroring real life stuff.

Last edited:
M (1951). An Americanized remake of Fritz Lang's 1931 German movie of the same name in which both the police and the local criminal organization search for a serial killer who targets young children. Not bad, but completely lacking the atmospheric qualities of Lang's superior version.

"Any Wednesday" 1966 staring Jane Fonda, Jason Robards and Dean Jones
  • Hybrid movie with one foot firmly in the innocent "battle of the sexes" movies of the later '50s/early '60s and with one toe of the other foot tapping on the out-of-marriage (horrors!) sex that's happening, thus, adumbrating the much-more explicit movies coming soon
  • Unfortunately, the, overall, innocent battle-of-the-sexes construct is tired and forced which gives the movie a dated and boring feel
  • None of the three stars ever finds a comfortable place in their roles
    • Fonda can't decide if she's playing an innocent girl "tricked" into being a bit "bad," or if she's a sophisticated mistress
    • Robards swings from being a cold manipulator to a decent guy who's sorry he's hurting two women
    • Jones flip flops several times from smart out-of-town business mogul to MidWest innocence
  • It only works as a curio of the time and for the incredible location shots of NYC before the grittiness of the '70s descended

We're screening "Menashe," the story of a Hasidic fellow in Brooklyn and his triumphs and tragedies. He's a widower with a young son, under strong pressure from his rabbi to get married so that his son can have two parents, but he's not so sure whether he's ready for that, and from that simple setup a moving bit of drama is made. The cast is made up of non-professional actors drawn entirely from the Hasidic community, and if you want "authenticity," this would be it. It's also the first feature length film made in Yiddish since the 1930s, which makes it something of a cultural landmark.
I have this on my list....will make sure i

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just finished BOTH "Dark Shadows" movies made in the 70's. The first was alright, the second... errrr a total waste of my precious life force. Still... it HAD to be done. Never watched the series, though my sister did. Thought the Tim Burton remake was a hoot. You never saw Barnabas interacting with the modern world before or since and that was worth the price of admission.

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Watched the new version of The Beguiled this weekend. I'm a big Nicole Kidman fan, as some of you may know, and I do like Southern Gothic as a genre. But this left me less than, well, beguiled. Everyone was very good, especially Colin Farrell as the wounded Yankee soldier they rescue and Kirsten Dunst as the teacher (along with Nicole's Miss Martha) of the five young girls. But the film was so . . . dim and muted. Sofia Coppola, the director, apparently has something against vivid colors. I swear, I wound up with an eyestrain headache!

It did make me want to find and try the Thomas Cullinan novel this, and the earlier version with Clint Eastwood, are based on. Stephen King mentions it and the earlier film in his late-1970s book about the horror genre, Danse Macabre, when he is discussing the gothic form, including Faulkner's Sanctuary. King's book is a great resource if you are looking for hints of what to read or watch in the genre, and what not to bother with.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I still haven't gotten over "Black Book," and that was ten years ago.

I haven't, either. I watched it once and I don't know if I can ever watch it again despite owning it on DVD.

Same with Atonement. I will never, and I mean NEVER, watch that movie again. It haunted me for days. My heart couldn't take a second viewing.

I haven't, either. I watched it once and I don't know if I can ever watch it again despite owning it on DVD.

Same with Atonement. I will never, and I mean NEVER, watch that movie again. It haunted me for days. My heart couldn't take a second viewing.

I could withstand a second viewing of either of those - but understand where you are coming from - but I will never, ever watch "Mask" or "Leaving Las Vegas" again as both movies - both well done (LLV really, really well done) - left me depressed for many, many days.

The Monster (1925) with Lon Chaney. More funny than scary, but there were a few creepy scenes, one especially when the heroine is in a bed and hands come out from under and encircle her!
If you're a Johnny Arthur fan, he's at his milquetoastiest best in this one. Worth seeing at least once, but you're right about it being more "comedy" than "horror/mystery" movie and Chaney's talents are almost wasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko