Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Saw The Public Enemy last night, and next to White Heat, it's the best I've seen of Cagney's yet. I especially got a kick out of the scene in which Tom and Matt avenge Nails' death. Classic Cagney moment.

Before that, I saw Holiday Inn. I've been alternating between musicals and Gangster films, which seems the be a good formula for keeping things going.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Hanover Street" with Harrison Ford, Christopher Plummer and some terrible female lead who couldn't act her way out of a wet, brown paper bag.

Set in WWII so a few B-25s, A-2 jackets and some nice period clothing. Sadly though the script was fairly gruesome. The film hotted up a little during the scenes in occupied France but overall not the greatest.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
One of my all-time faves - one of the best American movies of the thirties. Another William Wyler masterpiece. I've owned and treasured a 16mm print since the pre-VHS era.

(Though for the record, the original Sinclair Lewis novel is even better!)

Sunny

One Too Many
Where Eagles Dare, Saturday night. :eusa_clap We had on the Texas Tech/Oklahoma game for a while, but when it got bad even my mother agreed it was time to watch the movie.

Before that, Kung Fu Panda. Such a fun, silly, clean mixture without snarkiness or stupidity.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Sunny said:
Where Eagles Dare, Saturday night. :eusa_clap We had on the Texas Tech/Oklahoma game for a while, but when it got bad even my mother agreed it was time to watch the movie.

Before that, Kung Fu Panda. Such a fun, silly, clean mixture without snarkiness or stupidity.

Where Eagles Dare is another of my favorite WW2 flicks. Great plot.

And Kung Fu Panda is so wonderful - my daughter and I went to the theatre when it first came out and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well done it was.

We watched Wall-E last night. Adorable film.

Kermez

A-List Customer
The Shadow Knows

The Shadow

Highly underrated and widely (erroneously, IMO) panned noir "super" hero movie. I liked it (and own it) - great fictional period wardrobes, fit the syle of the movie.

The Shadow character (who I think is pretty damn cool, btw), for those not in the know, was an inspiration for the Bat-Man.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Garfield/Turner Heat

"The Postman Always Rings Twice." What a great film! Just comparing the trailers to this one and the 1981 re-make shows you how superior the original is (respects to Jack Nicholson). The acting, the chemistry, the storyline, the lighting, the cinematography, the direction, just about everything clicks in this superior noir classic. I'm sorry, but I'm going to say it: they don't make them like this anymore, and we don't have actors with chemistry like this today. Made me want to check out the Garfield films that I haven't yet seen.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
The Manchurian Candidate (w/Frank Sinatra). I'm supposed to be writing a review for class and I'm pretty sure I'm going to compare and contrast bullet wounds between this version (produced under the Hayes Code?) and the remake.

Also, Gummo (1997) which almost made me throw up in the middle of class. I could take the crawling bugs all over the walls, the dead cats, and the crazy agoraphobic sets. But I swear, when that kid started eating the candy bar that had fallen in his bathtub I was gagging audibly.

And I'm Not There, the Dylan biopic, for another paper!

And the first season of Buffy (the cause behind all my Buffy-centric posts lately) for another research paper.

HeadHunter

New in Town
G-Men starring Jimmy Cagney. I watched it tonight. Actually enjoyed it as much as the Bourne series.

The additional material, especially the segment about the Hollywood Code, was quite interesting.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Its almost Thanksgiving so I intend to watch "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".
A Holiday tradition at my house now for many years.
I especially enjoy Neil Page and Del Griffiths' rendition of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" while driving a burned out heap down the highway.

fireman sam

New in Town
Watched The Big Steal the other night made in 1949 with Robert Mitchum & Jane Greer not one of their best films but a great suit and hat movie Robert Mitchum sure Knows how to make Fedoras look good on a person, it had a mixture of the fedoras they wore in the early forties and the wider brims and lower crowns of the late forties & early fifties and some good panama hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112