Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, as impressive a feat of filmmaking as it was, I HATED that shot. It totally called attention to itself as a virtuoso bit of staging/direction, and pulled me entirely out of the story. And I think it was overkill, totally unnecessary for this particular film: there are simpler, shorter, more effective ways to get across the war-is-hell message.

(Understand me: as a feat of reenactment and production design, it was totally amazing. It just belonged in a different movie.)

Actually, I pretty much disliked the film - although its unexpected surprise epilogue was powerful and effective. I was ready to write the film off as overlong and self-indulgent, but the ending made me respect it.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Frankly, as impressive a feat of filmmaking as it was, I HATED that shot. It totally called attention to itself as a virtuoso bit of staging/direction, and pulled me entirely out of the story. And I think it was overkill, totally unnecessary for this particular film: there are simpler, shorter, more effective ways to get across the war-is-hell message.

(Understand me: as a feat of reenactment and production design, it was totally amazing. It just belonged in a different movie.)

Actually, I pretty much disliked the film - although its unexpected surprise epilogue was powerful and effective. I was ready to write the film off as overlong and self-indulgent, but the ending made me respect it.

Being a photographer I enjoyed it technically. I must have watched it at least a dozen times (I bought the DVD). Strangely, it didn't pull me out of the story.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, that's fine, it's a very subjective thing.

I'm a photographer too, and it definitely impressed the heck out of me in a technical sense... but I don't think it was necessary or appropriate in the context of this story. I think it's actually very representative of the excesses of much modern filmmaking: too often driven by the technical ability to do something (e.g., special effects), rather than what is actually needed to tell a given story.

But as I've often pointed out, I'm hypercritical and take such things too seriously...

North By Northwest

Hitchcock really hits a home run with this one. It straddles classic and modern in a way, has great intrigue and superb atmosphere.

The film score is excellent.

It makes for a really neat Cary Grant film, wonderful vehicle.

James Mason is so James Masony as the villian it's scary.

Feraud

Bartender
Sunday is the best day for staying home and watching movies all day.

I just finished The Protector. Tony Jaa delivers the most well deserved bone breaking sequences to bad guys ever committed to film. A must see for martial arts movie fans. I read they are making Ong Bak II. :)

Next up is Frank Capra's Lost Horizon with Ronald Coleman.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CopperNY said:
"Man in the Vault"

nice little atmospheric B-movie crime flick from the 50's.

(on TCM)
Based on your recommendation, CopperNY, I ordered this right away and watched it yesterday. It was nice.
I have Netflix free for a month from a class action settlement from when I subscribed to it 6 years ago. I like getting movies I can't get from the public library so this month I'm watching a movie a day until it runs out.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
The Godfather: Part I & II

not in the mood for Part III though...although i do believe it is just as good as the other 2...

...except for sofia coppola...oi...*cringe*

CopperNY

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
Based on your recommendation, CopperNY, I ordered this right away and watched it yesterday. It was nice.
I have Netflix free for a month from a class action settlement from when I subscribed to it 6 years ago. I like getting movies I can't get from the public library so this month I'm watching a movie a day until it runs out.

glad you liked it. i enjoyed the fashions. being a cheap film, the clothing seemed more everyday than upscale.

that, and my first thought was "OMG, that's Trelane from Star Trek!!!". :)

nice setup. about three days a week i lament having to leave for work, as i leave the tv on for the dog and TCM seems to play some great lesser known stuff early mornings.

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Happened to catch, "Being There" with Peter Sellers. Wonderful satire and I could not recommend it more highly. Such a shame that Sellers lost out on his Oscar bid to Tom Hanks and Forrest Gump.
Sellers loved the book and lobbied hard to see it turned out on to the big screen. He said, "it is me."

Sadly, he passed away 6 months after release of a massive heart attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24