Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

JohnnyL

New in Town
Movies from the Past Week

1) New Star Trek - pays homage to the series in the right amount. special effects great. Good dialogue. Loved it when the younger Spock tells Kirk to get out of the captains chair. A very few purists to whom the original series is a canon that should not be violated, hate the movie for allowing a new timeline of events that can now exist in parallel with the original timeline. I loved it.

2) Fargo - on DVD for the first time. Now going back to view all Coen Brothers movies that I haven't seen. Great movie. Deserved Ebert's accolade that this was one of the best movies that he has ever seen and the reason why one watches movies in the first place.

3) Satin Rouge - on DVD. Stars the remarkable Hiam Abbass from The Visitor. Remarkable view of Tunisian cabaret culture. Eye opening.

4) Beyond the Sea - Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin. He does a good job singing. Even sounds a bit like Darin.

5) Wanted - Angelina Joli, James Mcavoy. Over the top action. Very bloody. slow motion violence. Interesting though.

Hondo

One Too Many
The Professionals

I saw the The Professionals the other day with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, could have been better with so many well known stars, but its dated yet still worth a watch.
I enjoyed Burt Lancasters role, as Dolworth with Marie Gomez as Lt. Chiquita.

Dolworth to Lt. Chiquita, Hey baby!
and also...
Bill Dolworth: Nothing is for always. Except death. Ask Fierro. Ask Francisco. Ask those in the cemetery of nameless men.

Dolworth: Hey Chiquita! How's your love life!
Chiquita: Terrific! You want some?
Bill Dolworth: Don't you ever say no?
Chiquita: Never!
Bill Dolworth: Anybody?
Chiquita: Everybody! lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Children Of Huang Shi'

An interesting view of a warfront rarely seen in film; the Japanese invasion/occupation of China, including scenes of the 'rape of Nanking'.
The story is based on fact regarding the life of Englishman George A. Hogg during his short but adventurous stay in pre-WWII China.

Hogg went as a reporter but stayed to run an school for orphaned boys. The screenplay is a bit fictionalized as Hogg wasn't the only hero in the real story but certainly put in a valiant effort to save the boys during a 700 mile trek across China to a safe zone. The film leaves out the Communist connection with the unportrayed New Zealander who actually ran the school and planned the escape.

Hollywood fictionalization aside (the film was co-produced by Chines/Australian/German film companies), the generally unknown story of young George Hogg makes for pretty good film viewing.

-dixon cannon

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, on DVD. Hadn't seen it since the 80s. We have the three movie set (pre Crystal Skull). Incidentally, the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the last movie my wife and I saw in a theatre (two girls under three).

Kate Capshaw as a 1930s lounge singer. Rrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwwww......

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
StaceFace said:
Of Mice and Men (1939) Has anyone seen the one from 1992?

I really liked the '92 remake "Of Mice and Men". Gary Sinese, John Malkovich.
I believe the actor playing "Candy" (Ray Walston) was in the original release but as another character. John M. was a great Lenny. If you haven't seen it check it out.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Lady Jessica said:
I just saw Up today. I love animated movies (computer or original 2D). It was adorable and I loved it!

I just got back from seeing that. I agree with you, it was adorable! It's not what I thought it was going to be, but better!

KY - I'll have to check and see if the library has the remake the next time I go back! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture5-1.png

Special (Rx)

This was the first movie I watched via Netflix's streaming movies link. :rolleyes:

An indie film about an average 'forgettable' man named Les who enrolls in a clinical drug trial. The drug seems to give him super powers, and the way they are show in the film (how they are shown with people watching and not) is rather interesting.

I dont know if I liked it or not. There were a lot of things about it I did enjoy, and it was funny at times, but the philosophy of the main character Les, tended to get changed with no explanation. It gets rather dark at the end, and you really start to feel bad for the guy.

LD

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
I watched a double dvd with Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire: "You never looked lovelier" (1942) and "You'll never get rich" (1941).
Both brilliant films - would be great to see them on the big screen. The dance numbers are amazing - I can see why Rita was his favourite.

anon` said:
I've not seen it (and likely won't for a very long time to come), but I already know that I love the dog. That bit from the trailer ("Squirrel?!") is exactly how my lab acts =)
The voice from the dog collar kind of reminds me a little bit from the Bugs Bunny cartoons with Mel Blanc redition of Lenny : "I will hug him and love him and pet him!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy