Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just watched the original version of "The Taking of Pelham 123".
It was very good and Walter Matthau was as usual excellent. I'm guessing Travolta will play the Robert Shaw role in the re-make. I noticed the names of the henchmen in this flick were colors (Mr. Blue, Mr. Gray, etc). I hadn't realized "Reservoir Dogs" had paid an homage to this movie. It added to the coolness of it I thought.

Ray George

New in Town
I just had the best time of all,
and sang my way through the
entire move...

"The Glenn Miller Story"

I myself perform his, "Stardust"

He was incredible...

The most beautiful music this side of Heaven!

Hondo

One Too Many
In Honor of Memorial Day

In Honor of Memorial Day, I saw two good films, I haven't seen in years, first up was "The Devils Brigade" taken from a true story, don't be fooled by the somewhat cheesy low comedy,
I'll let Mr. Howard below give you his review, excellent WWII film

There's a lot of truth between the fiction,
By Eric Howard "veteran" (kansas city, mo.)

This review is from: Devil's Brigade

This fact based WW2 film is one of the great whip 'em into shape movies. When the call went out for U.S. and Canadian volunteers for a commando unit many commanders used this as a oppurtunity to unload their trouble makers. Choir boys don't make good commandos so the right men were available for the job. This film shows the tough training that these men endured including skiing, mountain warfare and advanced hand to hand combat. I've read a few books on these men and the film accurately potrays the bonding developed between the US and Canadians as they teamed up in the local bars to fight lumberjacks and miners. After their harsh training the force is sent to Italy. The film makes no mention that the force's first mission was against the Japanese in the Aluetion Islands. The climax of the film is an assault on a mountain top in Italy. These scences are so well done that when I attended the USMC mountain warfare school at Bridgeport CA. they used this clip as a training tool. The film has a great soundtrack and lots of hero type actors. Just one problem-where did those red berets come from? Read the 2001 published book, "The Black Devil Brigade" told by the men themselves.

Next one was a favorite "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" with Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, well lets let some one else can better describe this great WWII film, been a fan of Mitchtum for years.

If a war movie can be lovely, this is it. John Huston directed this touching World War II story about a Marine (Robert Mitchum) stranded with a nun (Deborah Kerr) on a Pacific island overrun by Japanese. After initial antagonism, the resulting kinship between the two characters is human and civil, even after Mitchum's grunt understandably falls in love with his unlikely companion. The action scenes, in which the pair works together to stay ahead of the enemy, are first-rate. The actors have never been better, and Huston's perennial theme about destiny's denial of our dreams is achingly clear in this essentially two-person drama. --Tom Keogh

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I love Devil's Brigade. The relationship between "Peacock" and the American G.I. (can't remember the character's name) is great. Plus the bar fight scene is good, too.

barra063

Familiar Face
The most recent cinema movies I have seen are Gran Torino and this last weekend I saw Defiance with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. Good flick although maybe a tad long. Now as it is 2.30am and the insomnia has kicked in I am watching Enigma with Kate Winslet. This is set in WW2 Britain and has great period costumes.

Barra

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finally got around to seeing the DVD of 'Miracle At St. Anna's'. Wow! I was very impressed! In fact we were enraptured and spellbound through the entire film. Keeping in mind that the story is a screenplay based on a novel, it was a well told tale. The acting was first rate and all of the storylines woven together made it captivating to the very end.

Highly recommended by none other than "me". :eusa_clap

-dixon cannon

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Our last movie at a theatre was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, last summer (we have two girls under three!). Our last video watched together was the 1980s John Hughes classic "Sixteen Candles".

And to think, there's an entire generation for whom the 80s is "vintage"!

Edward

Bartender
MisterCairo said:
And to think, there's an entire generation for whom the 80s is "vintage"!

They're just too dern young to remember how awful the 80s were first time around! Funnily enoug,h when I first discovered the 50s, my mother said something similar.... lol

Cricket

Practically Family
We had a double feature this week at home. First we watched The Changeling. I enjoyed it but it was pretty intense for me. I found myself becoming extremely angry and frustrated at the situation. Then certain scenes at the ranch made me feel so sad and uncomfortable. I liked the movie but it was an emotion ride for sure.
Then we watched Taken. I liked that one also. It was action packed, and I admit I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

ortega76

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I watched this film over the weekend, too. Such a cute movie.

I didn't want to be drawn in to watching it but it had a great cast. I love Joan Cusack and Stanley Tucci. I did feel old seeing Chris O'Donnell as the dad, when I still think of him in the clean-cut rookie type of role.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
ortega76 said:
I didn't want to be drawn in to watching it but it had a great cast. I love Joan Cusack and Stanley Tucci. I did feel old seeing Chris O'Donnell as the dad, when I still think of him in the clean-cut rookie type of role.

Agreed! I loved Joan Cusack's character. But yeah, it was hard for me to buy Chris O'Donnell as the dad and Julia Ormond as his wife. I keep seeing O'Donnell as the rowdy fourth musketeer. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24