Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Grass, by Cooper and Schoedsack. Amazing documentary, with many epic vistas of tribes traveling across mountains, raging rivers, snowfields, and much more. Most memorable for me was the shot of thousands of trekkers zig-zagging up the snow-bound mountain; the camera must have been half a mile away to take it all in.

The river crossing sequence was re-used in The Last Outpost.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward said:
Funny thing, I rather enjoye it myself, but then I went in not expecting anything more than a big, umb comic book movie, and that's exactly what I got. Big, dumb fun. In some ways, it remine me of some of the themes of The Matrix, as I recall - only more fun, shorn of the po-facedness, the cringingly unsubtle product placement, and the risible sequels. [huh]

I loved those too..... actually, I remember as a six to eight year old being a touch disappointed with the 70s TV show versions of the likes of Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers after having watched so many of those 30s originals!
I'm with you on Mr. Crabbe. I was so into those that when I watch them on YouTube now, I get that same feeling.

As for "Wanted," I can't even enjoy it on that level. I cannot think of a single redeeming quality. I even like movies like "Commando," which is total action film nonsense, but this one was just ridiculous, bad dialogue, bad plot, silly effects, curving bullets, characters acting outside of their established motivations. For me, it was disorienting and mind numbing.

Vanessa

One Too Many
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I prefer the short story. I found the movie a little slow, a little disjointed and somewhat depressing. The producers can make it up to me by sending me all of the featured motorcycles, though. ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
In the past week:

Bruno - funny, but not as good as Borat

The International - decent, not great

Slumdog Millionaire - I thought it would be another Bollywood dance movie, but it was fantastic.

Gran Torino - A+. I'm now answering all questions with a growl.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Devil and Daniel Webster

Saw it for the first time. James Craig does solid work, transforming from set-upon country dad to rotten with riches heel. Anne Shirley seems to be channelling Melanie Wilkes. Edward Arnold is pretty much Edward Arnold, giving a strong delivery as iconic Daniel Webster. But it's Walter Huston that commits grand theft movie as Scratch, a nickname for the devil. He flashes this enormous Jack Nicholson smile, with apparently more teeth than a shark.
The trick photography when Scratch appears is very creepy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Beau Geste (1939) with Gary Cooper. It was in TCM last night. Thought the Viking funeral with the dog at his feet was done very well. ;) Solid performances all the way around.

Right after that they played The Golden Boy with Barbara Stanwyck, Adolphe Menjou, William Holden. Adolphe Menjou is very well dressed as always.

Looks like a couple I'll have to get.

Cheers!

Dan

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Jeremiah Johnson" is on the box tonight. This is a great film starring Robert Redford and it was directed by Sydney Pollack. Awesome scenery, beautiful soundtrack and a historically true based Western tale.
If you haven't seen it, you oughta check it out.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I think I'm gonna be sick...."Transformers". I only did this because it's at the 70mm theater down the street owned by Paul Allen - he normally doesn't show cr@p, so I thought maybe it would have some value...it did not.

I won't tell you how it ends, but I think they ran out of money.

There was nothing else playing nearby except chick flicks, and I have learned my lesson - next time I watch a chick flick.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I just saw "A town like Alice" (1954) (casts includes Peter Finch & Virginia McKenna). It's about a group of English women that are captured by the Japanese during WW2. I cried buckets. Peter Finch deservedly won a BAFTA for his performance.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I Just watched Gilda for the hundreth time.lol.Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth. Glenn Ford is always fantastic in any of his movies and Rita,is well...Rita. Beautiful.She just glows in this film,just stunning.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Proposal.
Sandra Bullock is still very beautiful. The scenes supposedly shot in Alaska were actually shot in MA. They were really spectacular. So now do I want to go to AK or MA?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
George White's Scandals (1934), one of those mid-thirties Fox musicals that used to only show up on the lowest-budget late-nite UHF TV stations, despite being immensely entertaining in a slightly demented way. Fine performances by Rudy Vallee and Jimmy Durante, comedy relief by Gregory Ratoff and Cliff Edwards, the screen debut of Alice Faye, and the first Fox appearance for six-year-old Shirley Temple, who is seen as a distracted chorus girl in the "Scandals of 1944" number.

Why hardly any pre-Twentieth-Century Fox musicals have had legitimate home video releases is anybody's guess, but it's very unfortunate. I've never seen one yet that wasn't a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran