Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Over the weekend, I dipped into a large pile of zombie b-movies which I have acquired over the past few years:

Die you zombie bastards! has its charm, if a bit too sub-Troma for my tastes in general.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 - cracking stuff - classic, 80s Romero-pastiche.

The real discovey, though, was Zombies on Broadway, a 1945 comedy, with a cameo by Bela Lugosi. The leads, Wally Brown and Alan Carney, were apparently Vaudeville stars whom the studio paired together in an attempt to create a competitor for Abbot and Costello. It's a gentle period comedy - few belly laughs, but I found it a thoroughly entertaining romp. The wardrobe is simply to die for - all mid 40s db suits an wide brimmed, high crowned fedoras. The nightclub boss's hoods look like live action realisations of the Ant Hill Mob (in a good way). Female lead Anne Jeffries is stunning, and Lugosi's cameo playing a hammed-up parody of his own type-cast is cracking. Incidently, for something that was really only ever intended to be a bit of fluff, its take on the zombie creature is actually much closer to the original legend than the canon which has been established since (and largely by) Romero's 1969 Night of the Living Dead.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kent Allard said:
I highly recommend Forgotten Silver to any silent movie afficionado. It's a faux documentary about the greatest filmmaker to come out of New Zealand. Well worth a view.

One of the funniest pictures I've ever seen, proving that Peter Jackson could have been a great comedy director if he hadn't been sidetracked into vast spectacles.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I saw Half-Blood Prince last weekend, and I think it's the best film in the series so far. Sure, some things from the book were dropped, but the film was well paced and well played, and it found a good balance between advancing the plot and its little character moments. The main cast has grown nicely into their roles and handled everything well, and there was some standout work by Michael Gambon. And Jim Broadbent was great as Slughorn - not that I expected he wouldn't be.

But I'm not sure anything that was left out of this film is going to be in Deathly Hallows Part 1. We'll have to wait and see...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished projecting an evening of silent comedy with live orchestral accompaniment by Rick Benjamin and the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra -- "Cops" with Buster Keaton, "Get Out and Get Under" with Harold Lloyd, and "Behind the Screen" with Charlie Chaplin.

The Paragons come up every summer, and of all the events and shows we do, it's the one I look forward to most -- a full-dress re-creation of how silent films were actually shown in the twenties. If they ever come to your town, run don't walk to reserve your tickets -- they'll make you wish talkies had never come in.

Antje

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I understand that the next film is a Part II to this one and will bring more to the story along with the conclusion.

I understood, part 7 will be split in half,
anyway, I watched the pink panther last week,
the new one with Steve Martin really stupid humor but fun lol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
While at the local thrift store yesterday I poked through a stack of DVDs and bought 'The Fifth Element' with Bruce Willis for a buck. I knew nothing on this film other than it was science fiction...I thought it'd be like 12 Monkeys. It didn't have much of a plot, but it sure was fun to watch. It was very stylized with it's sets and costumes and had a great soundtrack. Very enjoyable for a dollar. :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I watched "Firefly", 1937, with Jeanette MacDonald and Alan Jones last night on Turner Classics. Interesting flick. Very much an operetta. Wasn't overwhelmed with much of the music, tho I've hummed Donkey Serenade all my life. But the plot was pretty cool, involving the wars between Napoleon and Spain. Quite an extravaganza, with pretty impressive battle scenes for a musical.
And I must admit, I think Jeanette MacDonald is one of the most gorgeous women who ever graced the silver screen.
3.75 stars out of 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner