Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
North by Northwest...

Just saw it yesterday on the big screen at my loccal 1920's art deco cinema (they show old movies every so often). Wonderful stuff.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Bad Day at Black Rock". This was a pretty good movie, I like Spencer Tracy and Robert Ryan. The scene where Ernest Borgnine brags about being "half horse, half alligator" was especially good.

Professor

A-List Customer
"The Garden of Eden"

This was the movie shown at Heritage Square on Saturday, really enjoyed it too!

The recently-founded Flicker Alley presents their first DVD release with The Garden of Eden, a charming but obscure silent comedy directed by Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front, Ocean's Eleven) and starring Corinne Griffith, a once-popular and now nearly-forgotten star of silent cinema.

She plays a would-be opera singer who winds up working in a burlesque house. But she gets a break when she goes on vacation with the company's costume designer, who turns out to be a baroness. And, of course, she falls in love with a cad who turns out to be a swell guy after all.

The Garden of Eden DVD looks amazingly good considering that it was transferred from a 16mm print. The disc includes reproductions of the original press book, as well as two wonderful silent shorts, the Christmas-y The Toy Shop and a funny trifling "documentary" looking at some of Hollywood's crazy architecture.

Starring: Corinne Griffith, Louise Dresser, Lowell Sherman, Maude George, Charles Ray, Edward Martindel, Freeman Wood, Hank Mann
Written by: Avery Hopwood, Hans Kraly, George Marion Jr., based on a play by Rudolf Bernnauer, Rudolph Oesterreicher

[YOUTUBE]<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/GvITjzAAXYc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/GvITjzAAXYc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Schofields said:
THE UNHOLY THREE was on the other morning.

followed by FREAKS.

:)

I have never seen The Unholy Three; how was it?

Freaks is truly unsettling: were these folks exploited by the film-makers? I guess I mean more than the circus sideshow did...

When I saw this on TCM many years ago, my eight year old son left the room, not because he was scared, but because of the insults and verbal cruelty directed towards the "freaks." He said it awfull the way they were treated and he couldn't stand it.

Feraud

Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
I have never seen The Unholy Three; how was it?
The storyline is a bit of a stretch but If you want to see Chaney doing a ventriloquist act or impersonating an old woman, the film is gold.

I recently watched Chaney in Outside the Law and Shadows.
Those were very good.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Feraud said:
The storyline is a bit of a stretch but If you want to see Chaney doing a ventriloquist act or impersonating an old woman, the film is gold.

I recently watched Chaney in Outside the Law and Shadows.
Those were very good.

Was Unholy Three a silent? Would that have Chaney performing as a ventriloquist without sound? Sort of like Edgar Bergin doing a ventriloquist act on the radio.

Where are you watching the Chaney films? Are they on dvd?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Watched Beau Geste with Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, and Robert Preston. It was banned in France for not being an accurate depiction of Legion life.

Donald O'Connor at about age 12 stars as the young Beau. Susan Hayward in one of her first films is on hand to decorate the set.

Still, it's a great movie, with Brian Donlevy completely dominating as Sgt. Markoff.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Fashions of 1934 with William Powell & Bette Davis. A fun little romp of a film that was on TCM tonight. It's a shame it hasn't been released on DVD yet. Maybe a few e-mails to TCM could get it released on a TCM Classics collection of DVD's?
And, it's a musical to boot.

Cheers!

Dan

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Miss Marie lloyd"

"A bio picture of Marie (pronounced Mah-ree ) Lloyd a turn of the century Music hall (Vaudeville) act, famous for her naughty lyrics, (My old man said follow the van) and racy private life

51%2BUATcMvuL._SS500_.jpg

RA-Percy-Courtenay.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
Was Unholy Three a silent? Would that have Chaney performing as a ventriloquist without sound? Sort of like Edgar Bergin doing a ventriloquist act on the radio.

Where are you watching the Chaney films? Are they on dvd?
Unholy Three is a talkie. It was recently on TCM.
Netflix has some of his films too.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
Unholy Three is a talkie. It was recently on TCM.
Netflix has some of his films too.

There's actually *two* versions of Unholy Three, both starring Chaney. The original was a silent, released in 1925, and the story was then remade from scratch as a talkie in 1930. The silent has a grittier, creepier feel about it, even though it isn't any sort of a horror picture.

I recently came across the novel both versions were based on, and it's a straight mystery thriller of the sort so common in the early twenties. Excellent choice of a vehicle for Chaney in either version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner