Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Last night we just had to watch Chicken Little. I like how they mixed elements of 1950's B films with modern elements into a Pixar film. I think my favorite part was when they created the crop circles in the corn field. Too much fun. :)

Cheers!

Dan

kittypackard

Familiar Face
Phineas Lamour said:
Last night I watched "The Awful Truth" 1937 with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. This is a film that was made 72 years ago and is still very funny. I bet not many people will be laughing at "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" in 2081. They just don't make movies the way they used to.

Theawfultruth1937.jpg

They certainly don't make comedies like that anymore! Sophisticated and sassy with whip-smart dialogue and top-notch acting: The Awful Truth is definitely one of the best romantic comedies from Hollywood's golden age.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flammen og Citronen (Flame and Citron) (2008)

Are there many films about the Danish Resistance? This one is pretty affecting and taut - even if the story slows at times, the emotions never relax. The acting is stylized in the manner of modern thrillers - you know: lots of hissed whispers punctuated by top-of-the-lungs yelling - but there is good period detail and feel all around, and everyone's motives are completely plausible.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
DetroitFalcons said:
Finally saw The Notorious Bettie Page on IFC last night. Thought it was kind of boring, but at least tasteful about the subject matter.
I liked that one okay, I thought Gretchen Moll was really good, though.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Kiss of Death. Richard Widmark totally blew me away; I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie anywhere near as much if he hadn't been in it!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I watched "The Farmer Takes a Wife" on TCM last night. Interesting in several ways. First, it's a very sweet old fashoioned story, but since it's set on the old Erie Canal in the 1850's, it had great personal Upstate New York interest for me.
Watching Henry Fonda and Janet Gaynor was fascinating. Fonda had played the role on Broadway, and they mentioned how the director, Victor Fleming, told him to scale down his theatrical acting, which he very effectively did. It was his first film, and he had never been in a silent film. On the other hand you could see over and over again that Janet Gaynor had done lots of silent films. Interesting contrast of acting styles.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Are there many films about the Danish Resistance? This one is pretty affecting and taut - even if the story slows at times, the emotions never relax. The acting is stylized in the manner of modern thrillers - you know: lots of hissed whispers punctuated by top-of-the-lungs yelling - but there is good period detail and feel all around, and everyone's motives are completely plausible.

Glad you liked it Fletch - and great that it is finally out in the rest of the world. Most danish movies doesn't go so far.
There are a few other titles - but I do not know if they are availlable in US. Will stick my nose into it and PM you if I find others.

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
Young Frankenstein. Excuse me...Fronkensteen.

"That's Eyegor."

"Werewolf?"

"There wolf. There Castle."

"Whay are you talking like that?"

"I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to."

A work of absolute genius. And the lab scene, as I recall, was filmed on the original set of James Whale's Frankenstein. Brooks had to really fight the studio to get them to agree to it being filmed in B&W.

DetroitFalcons said:
Finally saw The Notorious Bettie Page on IFC last night. Thought it was kind of boring, but at least tasteful about the subject matter.

Gretchen Moll was a superb casting - stunning, an excellent Betty lookalike. An entertaining enough film, but very superficial. I would have liked to have seen more character development, especially with reference to how Bettie's bad experiences with men affected her (domestic abuse by her first husband, the attempted rape, and so on). I do remember hearing that Ms Page, God rest her soul, wasn't impressed with this film.

Within the last week or so, I've watched a few things. Finally rewatched Rebel Without a Cause. I last saw it as a teenager, and was mightily disappointed in it, especially compared to The Wild One. REvisiting it now, though, I finally 'get' it, and it plays much better. Dean's playing drunk is one of the more convincing performances I've seen on screen, actually. And the clothes set me scurrying off to eBay to look for some pegs.... :)

Also rewatched the two Ghostbusters films. The first holds up astoundingly well even today; the second, well, it wasn't quite as good as the first, but much closer than I remembered it being. This weekend just past, I caught a bizarre mid-80s Charlie Sheen vehicle called The Wraith - think along the lines of Mad Max crossed with The Crow and written by the tean behind The Lost Boys and you're on the right track. Yesterday, I caught the tail end of The War Lover - looked interesting enough to be worth checking out the whole, and I very much liked the ending. Last night I also watched Les Visiteurs, a 1992 French film about a medieval knight and his servant accidentally transported to the (then) present day. Very clever, very funny, the humour coming from a sublime blend of slapstick and clever dialogue. This film was remade for an English-speaking audience as Just Visiting, and transplants the action to NYC. I plan to track that down and watch for comparison.

It seems that recently my film watching has veered away from vintage again.... I think tonight I might dig out something with Bogie in it to reress the balance. ;)

klind65

One of the Regulars
Hello. Last night we watched " Animal Kingdom" starring Leslie Howard , Ann Harding and Myrna Loy, from the 1930's. We were watching it for a second time because we love the undercurrent of unrequited desire and longing running throughout it. Fine performances of course, and Mr. Howard remains devastating as ever. By the way, I read that he was a rapacious ladies' man. Honestly, I don't think there could have been any more exciting and delicious life possible than to have to been a beautiful actress in the golden age of Hollywood. All those handsome men , and all of them after you! :D

WH1

Practically Family
Edward said:
"That's Eyegor."

"Werewolf?"

"There wolf. There Castle."

"Whay are you talking like that?"

"I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to."

A work of absolute genius. And the lab scene, as I recall, was filmed on the original set of James Whale's Frankenstein. Brooks had to really fight the studio to get them to agree to it being filmed in B&W.

Don't forget...
"What knockers!"

"Why thank you doctor"

"Eygor help me with the bags."

"Alright, you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban."lol

One of the truly quotable movies. Brooks was on fire in the 70's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy