What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

King's Row, with Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, and Ronald Regan. Absolutely diabolical! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034946/

I'm watching A Day at the Races with the Marx Brother's tonight for the bazillionth time. They're my favourite, next to Lucy, and The Stooges.

2. kittypackard

kittypackard Familiar Face

GENIUS FILM, a day at the races! It has what is probably my favorite marx brothers line ever: "That's in every contract, it's a sanity clause!" And then: "You can't fool me, there AIN'T no Sanity Clause!"

3. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

It was a night of Harold Lloyd on TCM tonight. I especially enjoyed Welcome Danger because it came out the year my Pop was born, 1929. I may have ot get the Harold Lloyd DVD box set now. Even our 10 year old got a kick out of these films. Now that's saying something.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

4. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

I may have to revisit my quote vault, and I may be wrong about this, but I thought that banter came from 'A Night at the Opera'. [huh]

Cheers!

Dan

5. kittypackard

kittypackard Familiar Face

oh my--** blushes violentely** -- you are, of course, posilutely correct.

.... sheepishly withdraws her last comment ....

:eek:

6. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Invisible Stripes with George Raft
    Brother Orchid with E.G. Robinson
    All of the Harry Potter series...again....
    Rob

7. Shirin

Shirin A-List Customer

I watched "Safety Last" (1923) yesterday on TCM. It was actually pretty comical.

8. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Hey, thats okay! A Night at the Opera was an amazing film too!

"When I take a woman out to dinner, I expect her to look at me. Thats the price she has to pay!"
    "Excuse me, do you rhumba? Then take a rhumba from one to ten."

I think the best one from A Day at the Races was: "Hello, Turkish Bath? Would you check to see if my frankfurters are done?"

lol

9. ladybrettashley

ladybrettashley One of the Regulars

Mad Hot Ballroom

I (finally) watched Mad Hot Ballroom last night! It came out back when i was working at a video store, and we didn't get a copy, and then i got it from Netflix and the disc was cracked in half. Finally tried it again from them, and it worked out =).

It was lovely! It's adorable and beautiful, and by the end of it some of those kids are really good dancers. It made me miss dancing something terrible, though (as anything with swing in it does =)

10. funneman

funneman Practically Family

I watched "Sweet and Lowdown", the Woody Allen film starring Sean Penn.

It was great.

Penn plays a musician in the 1940s who basically can't do anything right expect play the guitar. He's lovable in his stupidity. Everyone of Penn's lines are memorable.

Some great clothes, hats and cars.

"Cotton Club" is back in the "Free Movies" section of On-Demand.
    Highly recommended.

11. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Harold Lloyd - Yes!

I caught "Speedy" and "Feet First" last night on TCM. Both were a total scream. I saw "Welcome Danger", his first talkie not too long ago, and I have to agree with the general consensus, it's not so great. It was his first talkie. Apparently he wasn't happy with the sound quality, and redubbed just about all the dialog after shooting. You can tell. Sometimes what you hear is obviously not what the character is saying.
    But "Feet First" and especially "Speedy" were a hoot. "Speedy" was entirely shot on lacation all around New York, and the outdoor scenes are amazing to anyone who knows the city. There's a great 5 minute cameo by none other than Babe Ruth, as Harold maniacally drives him to "The Yankee Stadium". The Babe does a great job of looking terrified. And there's an extended scene of Harold and his girl at Coney Island.
    In "Feet First" Harold does a reprise of his climbing up the building routine from "Safety Last". Hair raising!

12. tbrunke

tbrunke Familiar Face

Introduced my girlfriend to "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", the other night. Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are great together in this movie, very funny!

13. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Here here!! Have you seen Cary Grant's screwballs with Irene Dunne, My Favourite Wife and The Awful Truth? They were just as funny!

Starting this Saturday night, I'm watching the whole Thin Man series over again. Any other fans?

14. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

No worries. I wasn't 100% sure & so I had to go & fast forward to the scene I had in my minds eye.
    I love Groucho's stuff because he has this fantastic way of insulting people without it sounding like an insult or if it does they get it long after Groucho has left the room. Both films are a hoot.

Cheers!

Dan

15. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

William Powell & Myrna Loy. My favorite pairing for sure. They had the perfect chemistry togther & played very well off of each others lines.
    I may have to sit down & do the same this weekend with the Thin Man series.
    Also loved what they did in Love Crazy, & Myrna Loy really held her own in the Bachelor & the Bobby Soxer up agains Cary Grant.

Cheers!

Dan

16. Elaina

Elaina One Too Many

Son and I just sat through Metropolis. While it's not a favorite of mine, it IS good to expose him to these things.

I'd prefer "Red Lily" and I probably will here shortly.

17. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

My wife and I just bought the whole set. It arrived last week. Amazingly, she had never heard of these movies, but after the first one last week she was hooked. So we had to watch the second one immediately. Now I'm making her ration them to one per week so we don't go through them too fast.

I just finished watching the Harold Lloyd movie, Safetly Last, which I DVRed this week. I'm now a Lloyd fan, too.

18. The Ugly Truth

"Roped into seeing this after Luncheon with a few "Gal Pals" formula chick flick, mumbo Jumbo, the only scene of interest to me was an all too perfect & fabulous Latin Dance Club scene near the end of the movie, does it exist? or was it a Set ?, I ask myself""

[​IMG]

19. djgo-cat-go

djgo-cat-go Practically Family

I had me a 30's 'revival' marathon:

-Cotton Club
    -Miller's Crossing
    -Seabiscuit
    -The Aviator

All fabulous, but,
    The most moving and less cartoonesk was, for me, Seabiscuit. What a beautiful, exciting movie with some great performances of Tobey Maguire and Jeff Bridges.. All the period elements I love are in this movie... The whole styling looked 'natural', not as stylized as in, for instance, the Cotton Club, which also has tremendous art-direction by the way... Could be the city-look vs. country-look thing though.. I dunno. Also, the storytelling to me, with all respect to mr. Coppola, is a bit schematic to me.

Miller's Crossing is a fantastic story, I really liked that one also, I'm a big fan of the Coen-brothers but just forgot about this film.

20. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

Two episodes of Briscoe County, Jr., off the dvd set. Does this count as a movie?