Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"Deception", 1946 Bette Davis Claude Raines flick. Cool psychological thriller, featuring one of the snazziest apartments ever on the silver screen. It was supposedly based on Leonard Bernstein's New York apartment. TOTALLY 40's Art Moderne.

dr greg

One Too Many
Watch out

Well as someone who LOATHES superhero movies it took me a while to get around to the Watchmen and only then as it was a lean week at the video store, and what can I tell ya...I absolutely loved it, a dark and brutal hodgepodge of noir, sci-fi, and just plain good yarnspinning. I thought the last Batman movie was crap, and wouldn't mop up catspew with Marvel comics, but I take off one of my many hats to this thing, coming in cold and sceptical, it had me glued to the screen from the first frame, great stuff, I might look out for this ship movie sequel or whatever now.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Viewed "Watchmen" Sunday night, and I agree, very dark and violent, but fascinating nonetheless. I appreciated how "superheroes" were depicted as people with very "human" flaws...also how the film dealt with the question of whether it is acceptable to do something "wrong" (horribly wrong) to achieve a "good" result...in other words, does the end justify the means?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
"Deception", 1946 Bette Davis Claude Raines flick. Cool psychological thriller, featuring one of the snazziest apartments ever on the silver screen. It was supposedly based on Leonard Bernstein's New York apartment. TOTALLY 40's Art Moderne.
Based on your description I just ordered it to be transferred to the branch library where I work for next week. Thanks you.
Last night I saw The Divorcee from the Forbidden Hollywood collection and I liked it. Now I'm re-watching it with the commentary, and to look at the clothes, crystal, jewelry, interiors etc.
Yesterday I watched 3 episodes of Danger Man. I'm crazy about that show.
Notorious is one of my favorites; I'm going to watch it to-day.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In a Lonely Place (1950)

Just saw the last 30min or so of this on Turner last night, and want very much to see it all. It was one of Bogart's less popular pictures, IIRC because the story made too many allusions to the Hollywood witch hunts. It's disturbing even today because Bogey plays a heel: an alcoholic with a vicious side, which has plenty of room to come out when he's wrongly suspected of a killing. There is taut, sometimes searing, interplay between him and Gloria Grahame (the original use-me-or-lose-me girl), who plays the love interest to Bogey's hard-up screenwriter.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Cold Comfort Farm, an adaptation of the Stella Gibbons novel. It's set in England 1930s, lots of art deco sets of course, along with interesting depictions of rural Sussex life!

John Schlessinger directed, stars a younger Kate Beckinsale and Joanna Lumley. VERY funny and golden era-ish!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Just saw the last 30min or so of this on Turner last night, and want very much to see it all. It was one of Bogart's less popular pictures, IIRC because the story made too many allusions to the Hollywood witch hunts. It's disturbing even today because Bogey plays a heel: an alcoholic with a vicious side, which has plenty of room to come out when he's wrongly suspected of a killing. There is taut, sometimes searing, interplay between him and Gloria Grahame (the original use-me-or-lose-me girl), who plays the love interest to Bogey's hard-up screenwriter.

Interesting movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana