Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Sideways

Just watching Sideways again and loving it just as much as the first time.
These two guys are almost alter egos and yet they look to each other for complete acceptance, support, understanding and friendship lol
It's a completely wacky premise played out all the time in the real world but ever so odd when you see it as an impossiblity on the screen lol
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Woody

Christy

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
See it to support the medium if noting else, but to me the worst part was the Prince. Hes not a good person! Besides his selfishness and cockiness, there is a song where he sings roughly, "When Im human again Ill have a red head on the left, a brunette on the right and a few blondes in the back."

And when he is proposing to Tiana when they are both in frog form, he lets slip, "Ive had thousands of girlfriends!" REALLY, thats the best she can get!? I was laughing walking home thinking how incredibly ridiculous this guy was, and sad because it would have been so simple for the writers to revise his character.

In my opinion the best prince that Disney has done in their contemporary 2D run has been Eric from the Little Mermaid. Not only was he this olive skinned raven haired hunk, but he had this optimism about him. He wanted something amazing to happen in his life. He wasnt sure what, but he knew it would change him for the better. He didnt get much screen time, but what he said and what he did made him a very dynamic character.

This second wave of Disney animation has flushed out these princes, made them actual people and not simply a means to an end like in Snow White and Cinderella. I mean those guys barely had names! I know it will always be about the heroine in these stories, but they gotta make these guys a bit more deserving, geeze.

Okay, Ill stop rambling.

LD

More than likely I'll go see it. The prince does sound like a jerk though!I agree with you about Eric and making the princes more of a character rather than a means to an end. I also like the prince from Beauty and the Beast.

Did you say in your earlier post that you work in animation? If so, do you create all of your great avatars?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Christy said:
Did you say in your earlier post that you work in animation? If so, do you create all of your great avatars?

Im trying to work in animation, but every time I get close, there appear to be 'cutbacks' lol Ah, well.

Yes I do draw all my avis, its fun :)

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Scott Wood said:
Just watching Sideways again and loving it just as much as the first time.
These two guys are almost alter egos and yet they look to each other for complete acceptance, support, understanding and friendship lol
It's a completely wacky premise played out all the time in the real world but ever so odd when you see it as an impossiblity on the screen lol
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Woody

I love Sideways - I could watch it time and time again.

The last movie I saw was District 9 which I really enjoyed even though I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Revisted my all-time favorite early talkie musical, "Sunny Side Up," the big Fox hit from late 1929. Very advanced from a technical point of view -- no more boothed-in cameras, some nice outdoor scenes, and a *great* crane shot that opens the picture. Charles Farrell looks like Adonis, but, alas, he sings like Joe Penner. Janet Gaynor sings like a five-year-old on helium, but she has a lot of fun doing it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
TCM had Frank Capra's 1934 "Broadway Bill" the other night. Just the kind of flick that makes us love old movies. Lots of exterior shots of (I believe) Hollywood Park in the early 30's, great characters played by great character actors. Plus Myrna Loy. They followed it with Capra's own 1950 remake, "Riding High", with Bing Crosby. It had the same script, and many of the same actors (in the same roles), but not Myrna Loy. It looked like fun, too, but I couldn't stay with it long.

mike

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Revisted my all-time favorite early talkie musical, "Sunny Side Up," the big Fox hit from late 1929. Very advanced from a technical point of view -- no more boothed-in cameras, some nice outdoor scenes, and a *great* crane shot that opens the picture. Charles Farrell looks like Adonis, but, alas, he sings like Joe Penner. Janet Gaynor sings like a five-year-old on helium, but she has a lot of fun doing it.

Oooh I've been hoping to see this for years! It's the follow up from the "folks that brought you Just Imagine" :)

funneman

Practically Family

Took the whole fam damily to see this on Christmas day.
The kids, ages 8, 10, 12 and 14 all liked it.

It is a real visual spectacle. The sound is amazing.

Although I do find it hard to get excited about movies that are laden
with special effects, I'm sure it's a ground breaking film.

The story line, to me, falls somewhere between Star Wars and Pocahontas
(If you can believe that).

The ending was entirely predictable.

Coming in at around two-and-a-half hours I at least felt I got my money's worth and with a family of six, that's saying a lot.

funneman

Practically Family
Gangland 1987 (The Verne Miller Story)

This is on Comcast/On Demand this month.

Scott Glenn as the notorious gangster behind the Kansas City Massacre.

It seemed to be very loosely based on Miller.

There's a connection between Miller and Capone in the film that I don't think ever happened in real life. Scenes of Miller sitting in a car parked in the living room of his Kansas mansion and an all female staff seem a little far fetched also.

Still some great clothes and hats.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Im trying to work in animation, but every time I get close, there appear to be 'cutbacks' lol Ah, well.

Yes I do draw all my avis, its fun :)

LD

That is so cool that you do all of your avis! Good luck, you're very talented!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Saw Avatar the other night. Astonishing special effects, not so strong dialogue and plot. Heavy-handed eco-political vehicle, but an amazing action flick nonetheless.

Does anyone think the shot of Col. Quarditch sipping coffee in the mega-chopper is an homage to the Col. Kilgore (Robert Duvall)-led helicopter charge in Apocalypse Now ?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
I am watching (well, pausing) "Public Enemies" right now, mostly due to my newfound obsession with.. the Fedora Lounge! And finding it great.

Also Saw Avatar and Princess and the Frog the past week and I thought both were great.

My 6 yr old daughter accompanied me to the Disney film and we both enjoyed it. I love the way Disney has something for all ages in their movies. I really dug 'The Shadow Man' character. He reminded me a bit of Prince in his post-purple rain days.. when he was making 'Under the Cherry Moon' and such. Also having visited New Orleans in December, I thought the visuals were a good representation of the city in more 'prosperous' (for the city not necessarily its inhabitants) times. Also I thought Disney did a good job making the race issues very mild. I didnt have to explain anything to my daughter after the movie. :) (She recently told me "Hundreds of years ago white people were mean to black people" .. picked that up at school. I nodded but inwardly bristled at the incorrect notion that it was 'hundreds of years' since this...) but i hate to digress into racial politics. my point is this movie, in my estimation, avoids that pitfall, and i think for a kids movie that is appropriate.

Avatar on the other hand was a totally different but perhaps better experience. My wife and I went to this without our daughter. I thought (before seeing it) the violence might be over the top for a 6yr old, and she also hates wearing the 3d glasses. took her to IMAX once with bad results.
I have to say i really enjoyed the film, I saw it in Real-D 3d, not imax. The 3-D effects were about 90% mild and convincing, and about 10% whiz-bang, in-your-face stuff. There was almost no 'stuff flying off of the screen' but occasionally the edges of the screen were very noticable due to the edges of things being cut off and instantly receding, which was visually jarring. Overall i was please with the 3-D and it was a very different and welcome experience.

Not so sure I want this experience in my home theater, until and unless theres a way to do it without glasses.

The Avatar story was simple, perhaps things i had seen before, but overall very entertaining and engaging.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Musashi said:
Also I thought Disney did a good job making the race issues very mild....my point is this movie, in my estimation, avoids that pitfall, and i think for a kids movie that is appropriate.

I would completely agree with you if the movie were in 'once upon a time village, kingdom far far away' like all the other princesses, only this one just happened to be brown, that would have been AWESOME. But they didnt, they put her in post WWI New Orleans French Quarter, USA. A place that is profoundly culturally significant to her race, and then did everything they could to not admit that lol

LD

Scott Wood

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:
Musashi said:
I am watching (well, pausing) "Public Enemies" right now, mostly due to my newfound obsession with.. the Fedora Lounge! And finding it great.
I thought maybe I was a "one off" in becoming obsessed with being a period piece after finding the lounge.
I have worn great hats since my formative years and at 16 had to have a camel-hair "great coat", have worn out more tuxedos than most will see in one lifetime and loved the "good old days".
The Lounge has really just thrown all this into relief and made me recognize it ;) so welcome to yet another addict lol.
Must run, trying to get my hands on a vintage raccoon coat for this -35c weather,

Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran