Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A Christmas Story. I laugh hard every time I see it. The closing shot of Mom and The Old Man gazing past the Christmas tree out the window at the snow, with "Silent Night" playing on the radio, always grabs me. Cut to Ralphie and Randy asleep clutching their presents, then fade to exterior of the house with the snow coming down and my feel-good switch goes up to 11. Love this movie.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
"Going My Way" (1944) and being a huge Bing fan (I can even sing 'like' him)
loved it all over again especially since it has been years since the last viewing
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The night before I was into "My Man Godfrey" again and that says it all ;)
The rest of the channels/networks seem to be lost in the land of Hallmark, made-for-tv xmas flicks:eek:
Seasons Greetings,
Woody

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Changeling...I didn't understad: is it a real story? Terrifying!!

By the way, they could style Angelina Jolie better: she had the same dress/coat/hat all movie long :eusa_doh: !

B.

Feraud

Bartender
bunny chan said:
By the way, they could style Angelina Jolie better: she had the same dress/coat/hat all movie long :eusa_doh: !

B.
Angelina's character is a single working mom so the choice of a single garment throughout the film makes sense.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Courtship of Andy Hardy. Four crises today: Judge Hardy needs to patch up a divorcing couple by having Andy date their suffering daughter (Donna Reed); Andy's towing service gets him charged with a crime; Emily Hardy orders a surprise cutaway outfit for hubby, only to encounter financial troubles; and sister Marion returns from The Big City with much too much sophistication, which leads to her getting involved with the Wrong Kind of Fellow. Will scandal for all be averted?

Mickey's getting way too old for a bumbling teener: his character is working until college starts, but he's stuck in the awkward phase, probably the way paying audiences liked him.

Christy

One of the Regulars
bunny chan said:
Changeling...I didn't understad: is it a real story? Terrifying!!

B.

Yes, it is a true story. They used the court records and police reports from when it happened.

Also, I agree with Feraud, she was a working single mother so it would make sense that she had one outfit.

bunny chan

Familiar Face
The story was incredible, and thinking it's real give me goose bumps!!!

Yes I also thought about what you said and it makes sense, but 5 years long :rolleyes: !!!

Of course I'm jocking: I understand that in the late 20s-30s it could be very tough for a single mom!
By the way I really appreciate the movie, as all the movie directed by Clint Eastwood!!

B.

Christy

One of the Regulars
bunny chan said:
The story was incredible, and thinking it's real give me goose bumps!!!

Yes I also thought about what you said and it makes sense, but 5 years long :rolleyes: !!!

Of course I'm jocking: I understand that in the late 20s-30s it could be very tough for a single mom!
By the way I really appreciate the movie, as all the movie directed by Clint Eastwood!!

B.

I agree, the story was chilling on many different levels. I also like movies directed by Clint Eastwood, I think he's fantastic.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Did a preview showing of "An Education," which starts a two-week run tomorrow night. Excellent Early Sixties Suburban London attention to detail, and an excellent cast all around. Peter Saarsgard is the best Sleazy Rotten Louse in pictures today.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Avoid

Remember the Night (1940)
Barbara Stanwyck is a jewel thief who gets taken to court by attorney Fred MacMurray. Good premise, but it goes right down into the dumper as the two take a ride to Indiana, their home state, which is portrayed for some unclear reason as a time warp 19th century amusement park. Their '37 Chrysler Royal convertible is the only car in town, and they dress in cowboy clothes and ruffles for the big barn dance because that's all there is available. Not even that romantic really.

Easy Virtue (2008)
In the Pretend Roaring 20s, madcap beauty Jessica Biel marries some English pretty-boy with very long neck hair. The kind of picture written for moon-faced 15-year-old girls, or perhaps grown women/men with the mentality of same, where everybody's in faultless period dress except for the leading male players, who have to look, I dunno, hunky or manly or something 15yo girls don't think you can look in a suit and hat. Originally a Noel Coward play, all the dialog, spirit, and humor have been thrown out, and there's that tinny, campy pseudovintage music all over the soundtrack.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
"Period of Adjustment" last night, in the midst of a blizzard. I love that 'Jangle Bells' on the jukebox, and Jane Fonda's histrionics are charming.

Today, "Susan Slept Here", which was alright, but not stellar, followed by "Elf", which I reckon is one of the more entertaining modern Christmas movies.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Quigley Brown said:
TCM had a great Bogie marathon yesterday! :eusa_clap

I agree! I was so excited. I ended up having to record a couple and I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

ThesFlishThngs said:
Today, "Susan Slept Here", which was alright, but not stellar

I watched this a couple weeks ago. I too thought it was ok.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Yes, Christy; there was something so tame about the 50's. After the edginess and noir of the 30s and 40s, the way everything became subtley wrapped up in innuendo and light-heartedness in the 50s is still a little hard to grasp.
I find myself appreciating the architecture and decor a little more than I did in the 80s, but in contrast, the 1950s are so cloaked in coded tameness, they're still a little hard to take seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112