Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
North By Northwest with Cary Grant on Blu ray disc. Wow! I have watched this many times before on vhs and dvd but it never looked like this! its great seeing classic movies like this getting the Blu ray treatment, they need to bring out more!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is always a good time for movies.
The Road - as bleak and good as the book
A Serious Man - it's the Cohens and as good as you'd expect a Cohen movie

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thirst

A Catholic priest volunteers to testing cures for a fatal disease but instead of dyeing, he ends up getting a transfusion of vampire blood.

I think South Korea puts out some of the most original and well done horror movies (and thats why the US remakes always suck). It was funny and tons of blood, and strange and crazy all at the same time. The three main acts felt at times like 3 different movies, but it was a fun ride.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Princess and the Frog

*sigh*
No one wanted this movie to be made more than me. So much so that it was a major reason for me moving to LA to try and work on it, but Disney gutted their 2D department half way through production and well...

First off, its clocking in at almost 100 min. and it feels it. Secondly Tiana (I dont know a black woman with a name like that in 20-30s Louisiana, but thats just me) is only in the film in human form for about 25 min (little girl Tiana included). And dont even get me started about putting the film in the south during that time period and completely disregarding the relevance of her as a black woman, and a woman trying to start her own business.

But the icing on the cake is the prince; a smooth talking, gigolo musician with no money, and no skills, who wanted to originally marry Tiana's best friend because she was rich. Perfect.

There are so many characters with their own agendas, so many plot devices and so many bad songs (Tiana only gets a song and a half by the way) that you only want to watch the book ends of the movie.

I gotta say my heart's a little broken.

LD

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A couple of nights before Christmas, White Christmas, presenting Der Bingle in VistaVision. The good parts are really good, while the not-so-good parts make you grateful for the FF button. Highlight: "Sisters," both the first take and the stall for time by Bing and Danny.

Then Holiday Inn on the day after the Big Day. I want to say that I am resolutely opposed to colorization, but my position was weakened by the excellent job done on this one. Very enjoyable.

Miracle on 34th Street, last night. Mrs. H declared this her favorite of all the Christmas movies. Spotted Tom Hatton, Jack Albertson, and I am certain Jessie White in minor roles. The part where Kris talks and sings with the little Dutch girl never fails to choke me up.

Did not make it to the Christmas noir It's A Wonderful Life. Certainly next year...

Harry Street

New in Town
Thanks to the wonders of DVR, I watched The Big Sleep with Bogart & Bacall.

Tomorrow it's Key Largo.

As much as I pine for a simpler age, modern tech makes at least some parts of this busy world run a little smoother...:eek:

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
NINE

Re-make of Fellini's Oscar winning 8 1/2. Disclaimer: I haven't seen the original.

It was...odd. I saw it as a series of MTV music videos loosely linked by a thin filament of plot. Judy Dench sucessfully does a showgirl turn, and Sophia Loren should no longer grace the screen. Please let this be her last picture. She is orange.

I liked the productions, costumes were fabulous, Kate Hudson in Mod wear looks so much like her mother did in the 60's.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inglorious Basterds

I just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I thought it was ok, nothing spectacular. Then again, I wasn't expecting a lot so I wasn't disappointed. I probably wouldn't watch it again. This isn't a typical movie I'd watch because I'm not a big fan of violent/gory films, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

LadyDay- I'm sad to hear about The Princess and the Frog, I really wanted to see it. It does sound disappointing.

Miss Crisplock- I'm also disappointed to hear this about Nine. I've been waiting to see it (it's not out where I live). The costumes look fantastic from what I've seen.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Christy said:
LadyDay- I'm sad to hear about The Princess and the Frog, I really wanted to see it. It does sound disappointing.

See it to support the medium if noting else, but to me the worst part was the Prince. Hes not a good person! Besides his selfishness and cockiness, there is a song where he sings roughly, "When Im human again Ill have a red head on the left, a brunette on the right and a few blondes in the back."

And when he is proposing to Tiana when they are both in frog form, he lets slip, "Ive had thousands of girlfriends!" REALLY, thats the best she can get!? I was laughing walking home thinking how incredibly ridiculous this guy was, and sad because it would have been so simple for the writers to revise his character.

In my opinion the best prince that Disney has done in their contemporary 2D run has been Eric from the Little Mermaid. Not only was he this olive skinned raven haired hunk, but he had this optimism about him. He wanted something amazing to happen in his life. He wasnt sure what, but he knew it would change him for the better. He didnt get much screen time, but what he said and what he did made him a very dynamic character.

This second wave of Disney animation has flushed out these princes, made them actual people and not simply a means to an end like in Snow White and Cinderella. I mean those guys barely had names! I know it will always be about the heroine in these stories, but they gotta make these guys a bit more deserving, geeze.

Okay, Ill stop rambling.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran