Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I finally got around to watching "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letter's from Iwo Jima" this weekend.

What an amazing feat, to take one incident and tell a story from two sides, while still making two very different and stand alone films. Yet the same themes run through both of them, making them a single work. Incredible. Eastwood continually impresses me with his films, and with these two he has solidified his place among the great directors of history.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Saturday late afternoon watched two comedy shorts and one 1925 film with live accompaniment at the Niles Silent Film Museum.

Sunday afternoon went out to see Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Lightning Thief

Sunday evening watched the DVD of Night at the Museum II, Battle for the Smithsonian

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
Saturday late afternoon watched two comedy shorts and one 1925 film with live accompaniment at the Niles Silent Film Museum.

Isn't Niles up the delta? I have long wanted to go there. I love love love seeing silent films with live accompaniment. On Halloween, my wife and I saw the original 1920s Nosferatu at Davies Symphony Hall in SF with a live organist and two live storm-machine-operators. It was outstanding.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, Nosferatu would be great to go see! Niles is in Fremont, about 1/2 hour maybe from Berkeley? Frederick Hodges accompanies the films twice a month there. He's the one that first told us about it.

Doran said:
Isn't Niles up the delta? I have long wanted to go there. I love love love seeing silent films with live accompaniment. On Halloween, my wife and I saw the original 1920s Nosferatu at Davies Symphony Hall in SF with a live organist and two live storm-machine-operators. It was outstanding.

Dr Doran

chanteuseCarey said:
Ooh, Nosferatu would be great to go see! Niles is in Fremont, about 1/2 hour maybe from Berkeley? Frederick Hodges accompanies the films twice a month there. He's the one that first told us about it.

Tell me next time you want to go, darling, if joanna and myself might possibly come along. If you don't mind.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
"Shutter Island" tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie at the cinema, but with a free pass to an advanced screening, how could I say no?
The previews had enticed me, but I must say they're a bit misleading.
I was expecting an action/thriller/ghost-hunting kind of story, which isn't what I got.
Psychological thriller, but more mystery.
One of my first thoughts was "Ooh look, hats and ties; the fl guys will like it."

Visually stimulating, well-acted (and pretty well cast), set in the early 50s with some WWII death camp flashbacks, fun for period details, though I expect the keen-eyed purists might find flaws.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've been on a John Cusack kick lately so I watched "Identity" again tonight. Good movie and a great cast. (Amanda Peet, Ray Liotta also star).

KY Gentleman said:
I've been on a John Cusack kick lately so I watched "Identity" again tonight. Good movie and a great cast. (Amanda Peet, Ray Liotta also star).
Great film! A friend and I are usually pretty good about figuring out "who done it" long before it's revealed, but Identity kept us guessing all the way through. I think it took us about four hours to watch it because we kept pausing the dvd every 5-10 minutes to discuss our theories.

Back on topic, my last movie was The Wolfman. Twice. :D We're planning to see Shutter Island this coming weekend.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bugsy said:
"The Hurt Locker" It's a very powerful and tense film.

I really, *really* want this one to win best picture, and Im not an Oscar buff at all. I just think Kathryn Bigelow is a severely underrated director. I also want her to win for that because it would be the first time in the history of the award a woman won best director.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Beginning a week's run of the 2010 Oscar Nominated Shorts. So far the prizewinner as far as I'm concerned is "Logorama," a French animated Tarantinoish action thriller in which all the characters and all the settings are familiar trademarks or advertising figures. Picture Ronald McDonald as the Joker, being pursued by a relentless team of Michelin Men, and you'll get the gist. A brilliant piece of work, especially hilarious when Mr. Peanut takes a hit.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "Zombieland" last night. It's a good movie, kind of in the same vein as "Shaun of the Dead". Woody Harrelson was very entertaining.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The Happening - possibly the worst movie I have seen in a very, very long time - dire acting from Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel - seriously, the stuff of school plays, some exceptionally clunky dialogue and a plot where nothing much really happens.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree - The Happening is an utter trainwreck! Godawful script ("Are those people clawing themselves?"), inept direction, and terrible performances. Definitely the worst performance I've ever seen from Zooey Deschanel, who's usually dependably charming even in otherwise crummy movies.

About the best I can say for this film is that it's so hilariously terrible that it may have a future in worst-films-of-all-time viewings... if you drink heavily!

Shaymalin's movies have become less accomplished and interesting in a nearly straight descent since The Sixth Sense. He's a one-trick pony with an unbearable ego... and a terrible actor. (If he was a better director, he'd know that he's not a good enough actor to appear in his films!)

Carlisle Blues

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

I found a theater open at this morning at 10AM so I took my 4 year old. It was this or jump right into continuing to paint my house....:)

alvin-and-the-chipmunks-2-the-squeakquel.jpg

KY Gentleman said:
I watched "Zombieland" last night. It's a good movie, kind of in the same vein as "Shaun of the Dead". Woody Harrelson was very entertaining.
I love Zombieland; one of the best "zomedies" out there! Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson make a good team, and Emma Stone and Abrigail Breslin are very good in what could have been thankless and forgettable roles.

Miss Golightly said:
The Happening - possibly the worst movie I have seen in a very, very long time - dire acting from Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel...
Zooey Deschanel is a bit of an acquired taste, but you know there's a problem if her performance is lacking.

Doctor Strange said:
Shaymalin's movies have become less accomplished and interesting in a nearly straight descent since The Sixth Sense.
I couldn't agree more. IMO The Sixth Sense was a solid film, well worth seeing at least once. His next film, Unbreakable, should have been called Unwatchable; even Bruce Willis looked bored. I decided to give his next film, Signs, a try only after a co-worker recommended it; not even half-way through I knew I was done with Shyamalan films and haven't seen one since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner