Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
"Shutter Island" tonight. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie at the cinema, but with a free pass to an advanced screening, how could I say no?
The previews had enticed me, but I must say they're a bit misleading.
I was expecting an action/thriller/ghost-hunting kind of story, which isn't what I got.
Psychological thriller, but more mystery.
One of my first thoughts was "Ooh look, hats and ties; the fl guys will like it."

Visually stimulating, well-acted (and pretty well cast), set in the early 50s with some WWII death camp flashbacks, fun for period details, though I expect the keen-eyed purists might find flaws.

I just came back from seeing it (five buck matinee!). It's sort of Hitchcockian. Maybe I was the only one who took notice, but Leonardo's necktie plays a very important role in this film... ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Shaymalin's movies have become less accomplished and interesting in a nearly straight descent since The Sixth Sense. He's a one-trick pony with an unbearable ego... and a terrible actor.

Id totally agree, but I do think Signs was his best film. Much better emotional impact in that one than Sixth Sense. I just re-watched it two nights ago. And yes, he is an awful actor.

And I LOVED Zombieland! Im an utter sucker for animated titles, and I love how they were used in this movie, (Cardio!) :)

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zombie_61 said:
His next film, Unbreakable, should have been called Unwatchable; even Bruce Willis looked bored.

Unbrakable would have *worked* technically IF he didnt use that stupid comic book disclaimer at the begining of the movie. It totally wronged the movie, which I like, but eh.

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Id totally agree, but I do think Signs was his best film. Much better emotional impact in that one than Sixth Sense. I just re-watched it two nights ago. And yes, he is an awful actor.

LD

I loved Signs! The scene at the children's birthday party scared the hell out of me! Unbreakable was on tv yesterday and I watched the last hour or so - I thought it was ok - again some great scary scenes (the guy who shows up at the house and asks to come in - that was terrifying) but it was pretty lacklustre overall. Think I'll be giving any of his other outings a miss.

Last night I watched L'empreinte de l'ange (Angel of Mine) - a great French thriller inspired by true events.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
To finish up on M. Night, since we're giving opinions...

• I actually like Unbreakable quite a bit and think it's his second best film. It's a clever idea, and I enjoy Samuel Jackson's nutso unhinged performance vs. Bruce Willis's underplaying.
  • I'm not a fan of Signs, though some of that is just because I can't stomach Mel Gibson any more.
  • I kind of liked The Village, but I really couldn't get past the super-dumb let's-send-the-BLIND-girl-through-the-woods-to-the-outside-world plot point!
  • I tolerated Lady in the Water because I dig Paul Giamatti, but thought it was unbelievably STOOPID (and M. Night's own performance as an allegedly "brilliant writer" may be the worst bit of self-directed acting I've ever seen).
  • And as we already established, The Happening is just the pits...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:

• I'm not a fan of Signs, though some of that is just because I can't stomach Mel Gibson any more.
  • I kind of liked The Village, but I really couldn't get past the super-dumb let's-send-the-BLIND-girl-through-the-woods-to-the-outside-world plot point!

I get exactly what you mean on Mr. Gibson. I thought Id barf seeing him, but I just forgot it was him.

I like a lot of the Village, mainly for the love story, thats adorable. But you were always on guard because you knew he was going to put himself in his film, so because of the very anglo settings he chose you knew that this world was nowhere near real.

That and making the characters with the 'ailments' be the ONLY plot devices/advances is just weak, weak storytelling. Plus their diction and old English was driving me *crazy* :rage: . He should have gotten a linguist to write it with him. Terrible.

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:

• I actually like Unbreakable quite a bit and think it's his second best film. It's a clever idea, and I enjoy Samuel Jackson's nutso unhinged performance vs. Bruce Willis's underplaying.
  • I tolerated Lady in the Water because I dig Paul Giamatti, but thought it was unbelievably STOOPID (and M. Night's own performance as an allegedly "brilliant writer" may be the worst bit of self-directed acting I've ever seen).
  • And as we already established, The Happening is just the pits...

I forgot about The Village - I quite liked it now that I think about it.

I really like Paul Giamatti as well - Sideways is one of my favourite movies - he's excellent throughout - I still think that I would avoid Lady in the Water as The Happening has pretty much poisoned me against M Night Shymalan for good....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I find Sideways somewhat overrated, but I love many of Giamatti's other flicks - American Splendor, The Illusionist, the John Adams miniseries (though I think it could have easily been an hour or two shorter!)

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Movies I've seen so far at the Noir City: Seattle festival:

Pitfall (1948)
Dick Powell as a suburban insurance executive who's infidelity leads to disaster and death. With Raymond Burr as the the creepiest and slimiest P.I. I have ever seen.

Larceny (1948)
A fun con-man movie with Shelly Winters as a crazed femme fatale.

Cry Danger (1951)
Dick Powell in a "Trailer Park Noir" about a low rent hood looking for the gang that framed him for robbery.

The Mob (1951)
Broderick Crawford is a police detective who goes undercover to expose corruption at the waterfront. Some very funny bits interspersed in an otherwise dark and violent movie.

The Postman Always Rings Twice
(1946)
Lana Turner, John Garfield, dead husband, 'nuff said.

He Ran All the Way (1951)
John Garfield's last picture. An excellent psychological thriller about a mad dog thief who takes an entire family hostage while on the lam. Kind of like "Petrified Forrest" in a tenement. With Shelly Winters as a cow eyed innocent girl, the polar oposite of the charachter she played in Larceny.

Six down and eight to go! I'll be here all week folks.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I tried to watch "Amelia" tonight but I just couldn't get into it. I love the Amelia Earhart story but this movie didn't grab me...

Mrs. Hood and I watched it the other day: uneven, and Hilary Swank didn't make us interested in the character. Didn't grab us, either.

Some beautiful photograhy and locations, though...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I get exactly what you mean on Mr. Gibson. I thought Id barf seeing him, but I just forgot it was him.

I like a lot of the Village, mainly for the love story, thats adorable. But you were always on guard because you knew he was going to put himself in his film, so because of the very anglo settings he chose you knew that this world was nowhere near real...

Plus their diction and old English was driving me *crazy* :rage: . He should have gotten a linguist to write it with him. Terrible.

LD

I noticed in the Village that when the whole charade started to unravel, the leaders of the village met to argue and they started using contractions. Then they got a grip and went back to that stilted manner of speaking.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
I personally couldn't stand The Village. I think its because it was marketed as a horror movie which I was excited for something that wasn't a gore fest, and then.... nothing.

That and it seemed to be a direct knock off of the book The Giver, which I didn't particularly enjoy.

I'm not the biggest M. N. S. fan anyway, I think Unbreakable was a cool movie and Sixth Sense had a few good parts, but most of his movies are horrible and he always tries to through in a twist that just ends up ruining the premise for me.

Anyway, last movie I watched was Airplane. We had a girl around that had never seen it, so we had to inform her.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Personally, I find Sideways somewhat overrated, but I love many of Giamatti's other flicks - American Splendor, The Illusionist, the John Adams miniseries (though I think it could have easily been an hour or two shorter!)

"Sideways" seemed overrated to me as well. Maybe because by the time I saw it, at a friend's house, she'd gone on and on and on about how funny it was, hastily describing the 'hilarious' scenes to me. I ended up feeling like I was just humoring her by sitting through the whole thing.

Yesterday I treated myself to "The Hollywood Revue" and "Sunset Boulevard" (yet again), courtesy of TCM.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw Sideways at a pre-release film club screening, and thought it was an okay little character-study road picture, but nothing special. I was mystified at all the attention and praise it got, and I've talked to plenty of other folks who were disappointed in it. I've had no desire to watch it a second time...

Feraud

Bartender
Hype helps sell tickets, win awards, etc. but leaves a lot of people wondering what the big deal was about! Sideways, Paranormal Activity, Titanic, My Big Fat Greek Wedding being a few examples.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Of the movies you mentioned, Feraud, "Sideways" is the only one I've seen, and that one, slightly under duress.
A majority of the films I adore the most and can watch over and over are the ones scarcely heard of.

Feraud

Bartender
None of the films I mentioned are "must see films".. although they seem to have been marketed that way.
There are many more and better lesser known films than the few that are categorized as must see. That includes classic film.

Just to keep on topic, my last film watched was Werewolf of London for the however many times it has been. I like Henry Hull's wolfman. He is more man than wolf in his conscious choice of clothing and even speaks at the end as the wolfman. Or is it Manwolf?...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR