Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Wednesday night at Noir City: Seattle

Tonight's films were not exactly "classic noir", but both were directed by the great noir director Robert Siodmak.

Deported (1950)
Italian mobster, shoots a lobster, seafood restaurant gets outta hand. Loosely based on the deportation of "Lucky" Luciano. Shot entirely on location in Italy.

Fly-By-Night (1942)
An intentionally funny "wrong man" story, where an innocent doctor has to clear his name of murder. There are several incredible car stunts to watch for. Starring Richard Carlson and Nancy Kelly's gams.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Closing night for Noir City: Seattle

Slattery's Hurricane (1949)
Richard Widmark as a self centered pilot who gets involved with a drug smuggling ring. Worth watching for Widmark's performance. It is also Veronica Lake's last major studio film.

Pickup on South Street
(1953)
Richard Widmark as a self centered pickpocket who gets involved with a commie spy ring. Classic film noir written and directed by Samuel Fuller. Should be at the top of your "must see" noir list.

I had a great time at the festival all week and am looking forward to next year. Noir City is coming to L.A and Chicago as well as other cities in 2010, so check out http://www.noircity.com for more details.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Blue Dahlia. Only time Chandler wrote the original story and the screen play; usually he adapted others' material.

Also watched Gold Diggers of 1933. After all the fluff and cracking wise, the "Forgotten Man" closer is astounding.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
"The Man From Earth"

This is a recent movie(2007) that I discovered on the netflix.com "watch it instantly" page.It`s in the sci-fi/fantasy section.

Renowned sci-fi writer Jerome Bixby penned the script for this thought-provoking film starring David Lee Smith as John Oldman, a college professor who reveals to his colleagues that he's actually a centuries-old caveman. And so begins a captivating philosophical meditation on immortality, the last work from screenwriter Bixby, who earned career accolades for his contributions to such genre-defining shows as "Star Trek" and "The Twilight Zone."

This film was amazing and I highly recommend it.From the movie`s description I did not think I would like it but was sucked into the excellent story.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're having a very very big weekend so far with "Crazy Heart," the country music movie co-starring Jeff Bridges, Jeff Bridges' beard, Jeff Bridges' flabby chest, Jeff Bridges' paunch, and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Nothing you haven't seen in a country-music picture before, but there's a lot of it, and very well executed. We've had close to 400 people come to see it since Friday, which is astronomical -- of course, it helps that power's been out to half the county since Thursday nite, and there's not much else for people to do!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
HosManHatter said:
I had no idea they made a sequel to "The Sting". Is it a monstrosity or...? Worth watching for a period film?

HMH

Yes to the monstrosity part, and no to the worth watching part. I remember going to see it in the theater because one of my dad's favorite movies was the original Sting. I was just a kid and I knew it was bad.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I watched part of The Road to Morocco and all of The Road to Utopia on TCM today. Very entertaining, and I loved how they constantly made self-referential jokes and broke down the fourth wall.

JimWagner said:
The Greatest Show on Earth on TCM. They don't make them like that any more.

I saw that The Greatest Show on Earth was going to be on, but I didn't watch it. I saw it years ago, and although I don't agree with those that say it is the worst movie to ever win a Best Picture Oscar (in my opinion, that honor belongs to Crash), I didn't enjoy it at all.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Fessing up now to "Tokyo Zombie." I'm not educated or a particular fan of Asian films, but this one is hilarious. My husband said it best - Napoleon Dynamite with zombies, in Japan.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Good Guys Wear Black" (1978) I saw this for the first time at a drive-in. I watched it on cable tonight. It was better at the drive-in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters