Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
EmergencyIan said:
I watched "Chisum" last night and really enjoyed it. It was one of John Wayne's last few movies and it was well done.

- Ian

It's a western, isn't it? I should see it then, as I'm a fan of John Wayne's westerns. He was definitely one of the very best western/cowboy actors of Hollywood.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
J B said:
It's a western, isn't it? I should see it then, as I'm a fan of John Wayne's westerns. He was definitely one of the very best western/cowboy actors of Hollywood.

Yes, it is a western. If you're a John Wayne fan, you will enjoy "Chisum." I rented it through Netflix.

- Ian

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Dostana

This week,Netflix sent me the excellent Bollywood movie Dostana. It's the story of two men who pretend to be gay, so that they can rent a "girls only" apartment and wind up falling in love with their beautiful roommate, but finding friendship (dostana) in the end.

The following clip is the musical number from when the mother of one of the men discovers that he's "gay". The lyrics are "Your son rides the Bride's palanquin, all is lost". It's pretty daring stuff for conservative India.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yQTF40cMX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7yQTF40cMX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Chainsaw

Suspended
Did you scene it?

Shutter island, I'm worried about Decaprio. The guy had so much promise. I sorta' liked him in this one, hopefully it will score him some good roles.

Not much for John Wayne, Wayne Newtun he can sing a tune though. I'd probably smack some beers with him, If I was stuck in a greek diner or something.

Jackie Chan ain't got nothing on Charlie Chaplin, Three stooges is good tooo though, I'z likes Curly.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Ghostwriter. I really loved the look of this this one, and it kept you guessing all the way through. A very solid movie.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Killers, with Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, and several dozen faces you have seen but can't recall their names. William Conrad does his tough guy thing, billed about seventh.

Everyone's callous in this story, from the police, to the doctors, to the undertaker. Lowlifes taking a beating from a tough or indifferent life are just par for the course for these characters.

Watched it for the first time, enjoyed it very much.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rewatched 'Catch Me If You Can' on DVD last night.
leo.jpg

It contains a bonus disc with interview and anecdotes by Frank Abagnale.
Utterly fascinating! One cannot condone his criminal behavior - but man what an exciting life!
A real life Walter Mitty with the chutzpah to really act it out! Am I the only one who felt some affinity with Frank???

-dixon cannon

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Outrageously, ridiculously stupid.
I just cant hope for the perseverance of human kind in this movie when little ants of people are falling into giant caverns, lava pits, or whatever, and the 'saved' people actually *paid* to get a seat.

What else would I expect, I guess.

LD

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
The Awful Truth

Strangely, I'd never seen this before. Cary Grant was his usual charming self, but the real stars were Irene Dunne (wowzer!) and the dog. The scene with him playing hide-and-seek with the bowler hat was absolutely priceless!

Feraud

Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
Fanstastic Mr. Fox, what a lot of fun! Evidently there's some in-jokes sprinkled throughout, but did anyone else think the rampage of Mr. Bean (?) in the trailer, knocking down books, appliances, etc., then walking towards the camera and knocking some more stuff down, was an homage to Welles' trashing of the bedroom in Citizen Kane? Was it in the book? I'd like to think it was a tribute on the part of Anderson, it's the romantic in me, as Captain Renault says.

The stop-motion was amazing.

I received this from Netflix and am looking forward to watching it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Running a split week this week which includes Me And Orson Welles, which I've been waiting to see for weeks. *Great* film for period detail, and they really do care about getting little period details right -- any film set in the '30s which knows enough to name-drop Barbara Luddy and Les Tremayne, and to cast actors who actually look like them is all right by me. (I'll forgive them for the whole bit about "recording" a radio show at CBS.) Costuming and set design were just about spot on as well.

Claire Danes is way too thin and gaunt for her role though -- there weren't too many Vassar girls in 1937 who were built like Okies. And has anyone ever seen Zac Efron and Tobey Maguire in the same room at the same time?

Christian MacKay ought to win an Oscar for his evocation of Orson -- rich, juicy ham from start to finish.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Last night I happened to find an incredibly cute movie with Ginger Rogers. The tittle is "The Major and The Minor". Made in 1941. That's the most I enjoyed a movie in a long time. Lots of fun.:)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Zombieland - easily one of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time, though the romance angle hurt it a bit. The surprise cameo was fantastic.

The Limits of Control is still in my head. I've got to watch it again. Jarmusch is a master.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy