Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Stir of Echoes

again :rolleyes:

One of the best supernatural thrillers Ive seen. I love it when a character just happens into their own at a random part of their life and acknowledges that what is happening to them IS special. It so rarely happens in movies.

LD

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Ratatouille last evening with my daughter.

I thought this was quite a good movie. What did you think?

We watched Transformers last night. In my opinion, it could have been much, much better.

Steve

Practically Family
The Bourne Identity - Very well-done, though I like the more "grown up" character of Bourne in The Bourne Ultimatum.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bamboozled

Ive seen it at least 15 times and that archival footage montage at the end still makes me cry like a baby.
Also the DVD has some of the best director commentary Ive ever heard.

LD

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Lion in the Desert

LionoftheDesert1.jpg
LionoftheDesert3.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Double feature night last evening... 'Girl With a Pearl Earring' (2003) is the story of 17th century artist Johannes Ver Meer and the relationship with his house maid (whose portrait becomes Ver Meer's most famous painting). Beautifully photographed. It starred Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth (I swear that guy never smiles in any of his films.).

Followed by Altman's 'Ready To Wear' which has probably the best ensemble cast ever.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Elizabethtown - Not one of Cameron Crowe's better efforts: it's kind of a mess... it just couldn't seem to decide what kind of film it wanted to be (family drama, love story, lifestyle-contrast comedy about crazy sneaker geniuses and down-home Kentucky folks). The romance between Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst was forced and unbelievable. The most interesting thing was spotting the autobiographical details Crowe always includes (e.g., the protagonist has an overbearing mother and likable sister, just as in Almost Famous).

And I gotta say: I find Orlando Bloom to be totally charisma-free when he isn't playing Legolas. Sure, he's likable and attractive, but he's not much of an actor. I was totally unimpressed in Kingdom of Heaven, Pirates, and now this.

Oh, and Quigley, I love Girl With A Pearl Earring: every shot in the film looks like a Vermeer painting, and for once, Johansson really acts: She has little dialog and has to communicate a wide range of things just through facial expressions, and since she's always covered up from head to toe, her stunning form isn't the focus. (The novel is even better: besides being more detailed overall than the film, it's narrated first-person by Griet, so you don't have to try and figure out her feelings just from her expressions.)

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I watched "Gilda" today!! My god, I love this film!! Rita is just amazingly beautiful in this film!! I really like her voice on "Put the blame on Mame" (guitar version)!!

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I watched Lonely Hearts last night...I liked it.

The clothing seemed accurate, something about their attitudes didn't seem right sometimes? I think it was Scott Cann, I normally like him (especially the movie he wrote and directed The Dog Problem) but he just had this modern swagger/attitude that kinda threw it off. The story line must have been pretty true, the director was the grandson of Travolta's character.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I actually watched Ildewild this past weekend. I don't like rap music very much, but the story was good, and the clothing was lovely. Both the men and women, especially the men, had some glorious suits. They showed Andre Benjamin removing his undershirt during the love scene, a detail that I wouldn't think they'd remember. And the dance scenes were glorious. I enjoyed it very much, even as a non-rap fan. Some of it looked liked an extended music video, but it fit with the whole musical vibe. I recommend it.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's an Idlewild thread from last year that originated in The Powder Room precisely because of the fashions and the men. ;) I haven't seen it yet, though, but it's on my list.
Lots of titles to add to my list now!
Last movie I watched was Swartboek (Black Book). Loved it. I'm not squeamish.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Probably too provincial for most here but I just re-watched Peter Hall's Akenfield which is based on the book of the same name by Ronald Blythe. Why? Because I just finished reading Return To Akenfield by Craig Taylor followed by rereading the original Blythe book. Both are documentaries of their time (mid/late '60's & 2000's) in that they are basically a series of interviews with ordinary folk of all ages (some in the original book were born in the late 19th century) in my locale (Suffolk, UK).

The film was made not far from where I live using non professional local people as actors and concerns the changing face of British rural life from around WWI to the early 1970's. I like to recall that the golden area was often not very golden for many including the rural poor in my own area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner