Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

zaika

One Too Many
Micawber said:
Probably too provincial for most here but I just re-watched Peter Hall's Akenfield which is based on the book of the same name by Ronald Blythe. Why? Because I just finished reading Return To Akenfield by Craig Taylor followed by rereading the original Blythe book. Both are documentaries of their time (mid/late '60's & 2000's) in that they are basically a series of interviews with ordinary folk of all ages (some in the original book were born in the late 19th century) in my locale (Suffolk, UK).

The film was made not far from where I live using non professional local people as actors and concerns the changing face of British rural life from around WWI to the early 1970's. I like to recall that the golden area was often not very golden for many including the rural poor in my own area.

that sounds like a fascinating film. i wonder if i could get it through netflix here in the states? must go check.

zaika

One Too Many
Hitchcock's "Notorious" with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, 1949 (I think...). I was rivited! Unfortunately I turned it on about 15-20 minutes into the film, and my DVR was set to record something about 15-20 mintues before the end!! :eusa_doh: I will have to reserve this one on Netflix...or try to catch it again on TCM.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Early this morning I watched 'Infamous' (2006). It's about Truman Capote's research and writing of 'In Cold Blood.' I have yet to see 'Capote,' but I was very captivated by Infamous.

Camille

Familiar Face
El Laberinto del fauno

Much better than I thought it would be! I loved it! Abit of censcor would be in place, though. I don't care much for watching people get their face smashed in with bottles.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Fido. Billy Connolly as a zombie? Yes, it's true. And BRILLIANT! lol

fido.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Paul Verhoven's Black Book, set in occupied Holland during WWII, centered around a Jewish cabaret singer that goes underground with local resistance when her hiding place is compromised.

U.S. viewers beware, this is R-rated in the European vein, so you'll see quite a bit more explicit ...detail... than you're used to from U.S. productions.

I really enjoyed it, only once or twice did I have to even suspend my disbelief. The fact that it's a Paul Verhoven movie probably has to do quite a bit with that. The whole thing feels like a dramatization of actual events(although I'm pretty sure it's fiction), and the plot takes some positively fascinating 'whodunit' twists and turns that Dashiell Hammett would be proud of. It's a study of the best and worst of human nature and the way in which war brings out both.

Recommended, but put the kids to bed first!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BegintheBeguine said:
There's an Idlewild thread from last year that originated in The Powder Room precisely because of the fashions and the men. ;) I haven't seen it yet, though, but it's on my list.

Dont bother. It was one of those rare movies that I stopped in the middle.
LOVED the fashions, but the movie was horrid.

LD

Edward

Bartender
Chanced across the Alec Baldwin cinematic take on The Shadow on televison last night. Nice film, I enjoyed it as much on the rewatching as I did in the cinema back on release. Very much looking forward to what Sam Raimi does with it. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Chanced across the Alec Baldwin cinematic take on The Shadow on televison last night. Nice film, I enjoyed it as much on the rewatching as I did in the cinema back on release. Very much looking forward to what Sam Raimi does with it. :)

I adored the look of that movie. Your post also made me wonder whatever happened to Penelope Ann Miller? She and Ian MacKellen were quite enjoyable in that film.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Fido, starring Billy Connelly as a pet zombie in the 1950s. lol I thought the movie was a clever take on the atomic/red scare movies of the 50s. Anyone else see it?

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Thank you for smoking...

I think I like it more and more every time I watch it. My favorite part is where the spokes-people for tobacco, alcohol, and guns are all arguing over who gets more death tolls every year, cracks me up.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Seraphim Falls. It started out okay, but the ending was weird. I'm not sure what they were going for but it is always fun to hear dudes like Liam Neesom and Peirce Brosnan doing their best post Civil War southern drawl.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Bad and the Beautiful. Am I losing my taste for Golden Era drama, or was this one a little slow?

I also never quite saw the thing with Lana Turner. She looked like a mannequin in this one. Acted like it too.

Edward

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I adored the look of that movie. Your post also made me wonder whatever happened to Penelope Ann Miller? She and Ian MacKellen were quite enjoyable in that film.

Yeah, she was great..... I think I'm probably much more aware of the period touches now than I would have been back in '94 (where the hell did those fourteen years go!!!???), but I really thought they were spot on. She had a fantastic period look in particular...

Judging from IMDB and Wikipedia, she's been very busy since '94:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000542/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penelope_Ann_Miller

Mostly TV work with the odd movie thrown in here and there. I've seen some of them, but I can't honestly say that I was aware of recognising her from the Shadow in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21