Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
That's what I'm talking about!!!

How does the line go????

"I geuss you'll just have to kill me..."

"It'll hurt if I do.."

= BANG! BANG! X 8

Heck with it!! I'm puttin that on right now!!!!!

I AM LEGEND

Starius said:
Just finished the 1964 film, The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price.
The Price movie, Heston's "Omega Man" and the soon to be out Will Smith movie "I Am Legend" are all based on a 1950's Sci Fi story "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. In the book there is a plague and many people die but some survive the illness and become nocturnal like vampires. Pretty wild story and a good read.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Paul Verhoven's Black Book, set in occupied Holland during WWII, centered around a Jewish cabaret singer that goes underground with local resistance when her hiding place is compromised.

U.S. viewers beware, this is R-rated in the European vein, so you'll see quite a bit more explicit ...detail... than you're used to from U.S. productions.

I really enjoyed it, only once or twice did I have to even suspend my disbelief. The fact that it's a Paul Verhoven movie probably has to do quite a bit with that. The whole thing feels like a dramatization of actual events(although I'm pretty sure it's fiction), and the plot takes some positively fascinating 'whodunit' twists and turns that Dashiell Hammett would be proud of. It's a study of the best and worst of human nature and the way in which war brings out both.

Recommended, but put the kids to bed first!
Wingnut, great recommendation. I watched in the other night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. At first I thought I had it all figured out, and was cursing some of the characters for being so stupid, but the whole plot was very skillfully constructed to leave you guessing. Some minor flaws, but overall very well done. Thanks for the review and recomendation.

I've also just finished The Barefoot Contessa. Ava Gardner. What more can I say?
AvaGardner576.gif

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just watched Ocean's Thirteen. Great flick.

Also bought a John Wayne flick I'd never heard of this weekend - Reunion in France. Can't wait to watch it.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
SCI-FI Alert!!

Since we got rid of cable, I finally have been able to rent and watch the 1st disk of the new Battlestar Galactica.... Back in the late 70's, I used to watch the original as a kid... Pretty cool!

Feraud

Bartender
Re-watched Brokeback Mountain (still boring) and A Scanner Darkly (better on a 2nd viewing).

I took a chance and viewed Snakes on a Plane. Too much hype for a very mediocre B movie.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Watership Down. I should not have read the book first I guess. I thought I'd like the movie much more than I actually did and I expected to be more traumatized.

JohnnyL

New in Town
Just watched ShopGirl based on the Steve Martin novella last night. Enjoyed it. If it hadn't been for watching this, then the last movie watched was Gosford Park with the English subtitles....almost a necessity for an Altman flick, especially since for Gosford you had to contend with the overlapping dialogue and the accents.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
LordJohnRoxton said:
Rather appropriate to the weather today....The Rains Came 1939. Tyrone Power, Myrna Loy, and George Brent. It's hard not to love those old Tyrone Power movies...

That really says it all! :)

Apparently yesterday was some sort of Tim Allen-fest on T.V., so I watched three of those, For Richer Or Poorer, Jungle 2 Jungle, and The Santa Clause. All good fun.

And a new one for me was Life is Beautiful (La Vita e bella), which got me in the end, but took a little geting used to because of the (to me) over-dramatic/exuberant main actor. I know a part of it was his character, since he was putting on a silly facade for his son, but I think the film would have benefitted enormously if he had toned it down -just- a bit.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
LadyStardust said:
And a new one for me was Life is Beautiful (La Vita e bella), which got me in the end, but took a little geting used to because of the (to me) over-dramatic/exuberant main actor. I know a part of it was his character, since he was putting on a silly facade for his son, but I think the film would have benefitted enormously if he had toned it down -just- a bit.
Roberto Benigni is a bit over the top, but that trait really worked well in Johnny Stecchino. I was pleasantly surprised by that movie. Unless you speak Italian the subtitles really detract from the visual aspects of the humor though. Unfortunately, that is Benigni's real forte, physical comedy. Funny stuff, nonetheless, and worth a rental.

That's precisely it, though, Miss B--he's the kind of average Joe you could find just down the bar and shoot the breeze with, kind of an Everyman. I'd argue the older Harrison Ford tends to come off the same way in a lot of his roles... (Richard Kimble, Jack Ryan, his characters in Hollywood Homicide--never imagined him as the comedy type--and Firewall... note we're not talking about the younger Han Solo/early Indiana Jones Ford)

Stewart's short on eye-candy, but his forte was playing more to the heart and mind than the eye.

Feraud

Bartender
Miss Brill said:
I don't get his appeal. He is like a Golden Retriever, or Norman Rockwell--just bland. Harmless.
Have you seen Vertigo? Possibly one of Stewart's best roles. Ol' Scottie has the makings of a polite and well dressed stalker! :)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
That's precisely it, though, Miss B--he's the kind of average Joe you could find just down the bar and shoot the breeze with, kind of an Everyman. I'd argue the older Harrison Ford tends to come off the same way in a lot of his roles... (Richard Kimble, Jack Ryan, his characters in Hollywood Homicide--never imagined him as the comedy type--and Firewall... note we're not talking about the younger Han Solo/early Indiana Jones Ford)

Stewart's short on eye-candy, but his forte was playing more to the heart and mind than the eye.

What the gentlemen (Feraud included) said! What Mr. Stewart may have lacked in superficial appeal (though I think he's ADORABLE) he made up for in a golden personality. He's the one who sets you instantly at ease, and he has such a wonderful and earnest charisma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot