Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
I've had True Lies on DVD for two years now with the wrapping still on it. I saw it in theatrical release (mumble, mumble) years ago, then a billion times on VHS, and finally unwrapped it and saw it in widescreen glory. I don't know why I find it entertaining, but I do.

So there....

Is that the Arnie film with Jamie Lee Curtis? Quite fun, that one, especially that scene with the dress ripping.

Arnie films often get a bad rap which is, IMO, often undeserved; Total Recall was very clever, and The Running Man was great (though I wish someone would do a remake much closer to "Richard Bachman"'s original novella).

Alex

Practically Family
The Mountain, starring Spencer Tracy. Great acting by him, as always, and suspenseful parts keep you on your toes.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
A triple feature last night. SEVEN CHANCES might just be Buster Keaton's funniest movie; at least tonight's sold-out house at NYC's Film Forum seemed to think so. And then a pair of Kay Francis Precodes -- one, JEWEL ROBBERY, costarring William Powell as a gentleman jewel thief, and the other, TROUBLE IN PARADISE, is, in my view, Ernst Lubitsch's masterpiece. I've seen TROUBLE IN PARADISE easily a half dozen times, and it never fails to delight.

Right now I'm watching GENTLEMEN ARE BORN (1934), starring Franchot Tone, Jean Muir, Ann Dvorak, Margaret Lindsay, and Dick Foran, among others. Not bad, a few minutes in.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
That's funny, I'm finally seeing Bringing Up Baby right now.

I will say that I'm getting a headache and I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it, Kate is driving me nuts! I think I might go with Murder My Sweet??

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Stranger, with EG Robinson, Loretta Young and Orson Welles. Good movie.

I enjoyed that, too. Robinson was particularly good, although I found Welles' lack of a German accent to be ridiculous.

Anyway, I just saw Cowboys and Aliens, and thought that it was fairly good; a unique scenario, although the actual workings of the plot were standard. Interesting that it was filmed in New Mexico, the state where Roswell is located...

Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Although Double Indemnity is my fav recent watch, I'll have to fess up and admit to 'Con Air' last night.

Big, dumb, stupid. I love Con Air.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Kook's Tour - 1970- the Stooges last film, kind of sad :(.

The Roaring Twenties - 1939- Bogart, Cagney, can't go wrong.

Next up today, Little Caesar with Ed G. Rob.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I re-watched one of my favourites, Cold Comfort Farm. A John Schlessinger tv film so popular they released it theatrically shortly after. Stella Gibbons's novel was the basis. Set in 1930s rural Surrey, it's a great blend of social satire, romance and off-beat comedy. The interiors of an art deco London flat leave me gasping!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112701/

The cast is unreal - Kate Beckinsale in the only good role in the only good movie she's ever done, Miss Flora Poste ("Miss Poste, or Miss Flora, if you want to be completely feudal!"). Ian McKellan as Amos Starkadder, Rufus Sewell as the brooding, over-sexed Seth Starkadder. Stephen Fry as the haplessly in love with Flora Mr. Mybug. Miriam Margolies, Eileen Atkin, everyone one perfect for their roles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters