Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You know, that film sank without a trace when it was released, but I keep thinking that later this year - when Andrew Garfield is the new Spider-Man and Carey Mulligan is the new Daisy Buchanan - it will be rediscovered by a lot of folks. Of course, it's something of a tough sell: my college-student kids both thought it was very well done, but TOO depressing.

(And re Keira Knightley: she is a limited actress who always comes off as a bitch... so she was perfect in this role!)

I liked the film so much that I read the source novel. This is a rare case where I thought the film adaptation was even better than the book. It streamlined the story a little, but almost nothing that was left out was significant. And I was shocked to discover that it was the screenwriter, not novelist Kazuo Ishiguro, who wrote the film's final, devastating statement in Kathy's narration!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
You know, that film sank without a trace when it was released, but I keep thinking that later this year - when Andrew Garfield is the new Spider-Man and Carey Mulligan is the new Daisy Buchanan - it will be rediscovered by a lot of folks. Of course, it's something of a tough sell: my college-student kids both thought it was very well done, but TOO depressing.

(And re Keira Knightley: she is a limited actress who always comes off as a bitch... so she was perfect in this role!)

I liked the film so much that I read the source novel. This is a rare case where I thought the film adaptation was even better than the book. It streamlined the story a little, but almost nothing that was left out was significant. And I was shocked to discover that it was the screenwriter, not novelist Kazuo Ishiguro, who wrote the film's final, devastating statement in Kathy's narration!

Yes, it did seem to disappear straight after release which surprised me - the second I saw the trailer I wanted to see it - it looked romantic yet incredibly bleak! I agree KK is rather limited - she can do the uptight posh girl quite well but sports the same expression in every film - the clenched jutting jaw - no matter what feeling she is trying to convey.

I went out and got the book too - started it and drifted away from it - it just didn't "get" me - perhaps I wasn't in the form for reading that particular kind of novel at that time and might go back to it some day. I don't tend to read a lot of fiction usually but in a bid to try to get into it have bought a ton of fiction so starting to make a dent in it!

Saw The Hunger Games last night with the wife and kids. Midnight show, got home after 3AM! It was fun, but not great. Good for teens and young adults I reckon.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Night Moves (1975)-

I've watched this a few times over the years, but this movie really did a number on my noggin this last time around. The film is incredibly bleak in its outlook and resolution. It's a largely forgotten movie but is in that great tradition of Noir, only more so! I've had Michael Small's brilliant theme rolling around my head for an entire day now.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Scream 4 - I thought this was going to be a complete turkey but I was quite surprised - lots of frights and all round good fun. Although I couldn't take my eyes of Courtney Cox's face - what on earth had she done to it - Courtney, please leave your lovely face alone!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Tower Heist. We try to do family movie night each Friday, something for our girls (Toy Story 3) first then something for mummy and daddy. TH was quite good overall, the actual heist was, as I'd heard, quite unbelievable, but still entertaining. Hardly the first film I've seen where one has to suspend disbelief!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

OFF TOPIC:

Is anyone else finding it odd they are remaking films that are ten years old? I know there are threads debating the whole remake thing generally, but really, remaking Spiderman from 2002?????

As for Carey Mulligan, to me she will always be Miss Aida Claire from Bleak House, the 2005 BBC/A&E adaptation of the Dickens classic (and my favourite novel).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
They're doing the new Spider-Man flick purely for the money. It's completely unnecessary, and a slap in the face to Sam Raimi's films. I'd like to think I'm going to boycott it, but Andrew Garfield is actually kind of an inspired choice: he's an excellent actor (currently getting raves playing Biff in Death of Salesman on Broadway) and has the skinny, narrow-faced look of the original Ditko comics.

I haven't seen that version of Bleak House yet, but intend to one of these days. I first saw Carey Mulligan in An Education, and Never Let Me Go sealed my appreciation!

BTW, I notice that Never Let Me Go is playing on several of the HBO channels today/tonight. Anybody who hasn't seen it should check it out. (But be warned: it's a very sad story!)

Last edited:
They're doing the new Spider-Man flick purely for the money. It's completely unnecessary, and a slap in the face to Sam Raimi's films. I'd like to think I'm going to boycott it, but Andrew Garfield is actually kind of an inspired choice: he's an excellent actor (currently getting raves playing Biff in Death of Salesman on Brodway) and has the skinny, narrow-faced look of the original Ditko comics.

And THAT is exactly why they remake films---over and over and over and over. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic