Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Cowboy (1969, starring Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman); it was a dreary, pretty depressing movie. Watching those peoples lives ruined by immorality and poverty was an experience. I found both the main theme and the music during the party scene kind of catchy, too. Anyway, I don't necessarily like the movie, but I think it's one of those thought provoking ones I may end up having seen only once.

For a gritty film about New York during that era, I think I like Taxi Driver the most.

Last edited:
War of the Colossal Beast. It's bad, really bad and yet roadside accident entertaining. Something JP probably would or has watched many times!
lol

"Not only has the plutonium radiation mutated him into a 60 foot disfigured freak, it also has conferred other benefits; drastically reducing his vocabulary and diet - he now appears capable only of uttering simple variations on "aarrrgh" (although he does manage a single strangled "Joyce!" at the movie's end) and only eating loaves of bread (by the truck load)."

"Eventually, Joyce makes him snap to his senses and realizing what he has done, he kills himself by electrocution (somehow causing the movie to change from black and white to color for the final minute) on high-voltage power lines around the Griffith Park Observatory. The ending, involving electrocution, is almost exactly like the death of the 50-ft Woman."

War of the Colossal Beast.
"Not only has the plutonium radiation mutated him into a 60 foot disfigured freak, it also has conferred other benefits; drastically reducing his vocabulary and diet - he now appears capable only of uttering simple variations on "aarrrgh" (although he does manage a single strangled "Joyce!" at the movie's end) and only eating loaves of bread (by the truck load)."

Since this is the part two of the Amazing Colossal Man the sophmore efforts are nearly always bad.

In Part one the reason he lost speech and reason is they say his heart is not growing at the same rate and his brain is not getting enough oxygen so he goes mad.

If you ever get a chance watch the Mystery Theater 3000 (MST3K) episode where they watch the Amazing Colossal Man it is plain hilarious.

Since this is the part two of the Amazing Colossal Man the sophmore efforts are nearly always bad.

In Part one the reason he lost speech and reason is they say his heart is not growing at the same rate and his brain is not getting enough oxygen so he goes mad.

If you ever get a chance watch the Mystery Theater 3000 (MST3K) episode where they watch the Amazing Colossal Man it is plain hilarious.

Thank you for the information. :D I have never stumbled upon (fortunately?) the Amazing Colossal Man but will now look for it for I gots to know how he became what he became.

Actually, the reasoning for his loss of speech is much better than I would have thought from such a movie, but then as you stated, the first was better than the second.
:D

It is the special (are they?) effects that has me laughing. Not Plan 9 bad, but so badly done it is worth watching..

War of the Colossal Beast. It's bad, really bad and yet roadside accident entertaining. Something JP probably would or has watched many times!
lol

"Eventually, Joyce makes him snap to his senses and realizing what he has done, he kills himself by electrocution (somehow causing the movie to change from black and white to color for the final minute) on high-voltage power lines around the Griffith Park Observatory. The ending, involving electrocution, is almost exactly like the death of the 50-ft Woman."

Hey! That color change scene was classic. :p

Batman: Dark Knight Rises. Wow. That was a crazy flick. Only problem was not understanding a good chunk of "Bane's" dialog. Too heavy on the Darth Vader effect for much of the film. And we saw it in a pretty darn good theatre too. Well worth the watch. And it was cold inside.

"I'm not growing, you're shrinking!

[video=youtube;_MnxG42ikPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnxG42ikPE[/video]

Batman here also.

Spoiler alert...will be talking about some plot points here...

Worth seeing for me...despite something that drives me up a wall...illogical plot points.
There were MANY in this movie.
The ones I remember off hand...

Batman gets stabbed through his suit..which, according to earlier scenes..will withstand sharped edged weapons. When he gets stabbed...he just sits there and moans. I think if somebody stabbed me in the flank, I'd reflexively pull away.
Then...once that whole scene is done, he's up and doing fine. Say what?

Bane wears the mask...why? Because it "eases his pain" supposedly. Uh...how is that? And......Batman wails on Banes face/mask throughout the movie...and it only breaks a little bit in the last fight...and that's enough to but Bane down? And...then, Banes boss repairs the mask by putting one of the little bars back in place? Say what? If it is that easy to fix...why wasn't it that easy to break througout all the other fights...and why couldn't Bane reach up and put it back together himself?

Batman's back is broken so that his vertebrae is poking out the skin...paralyzing him...and the old prisoner "fixes" by punching it back in place..curing Batman's paralysis? Please. At least get some medical input on these scripts.

Batman, after being paralyzed and locked away in a prison, gets back in fighting trim by doing push ups and pull ups? Gee. Didn't know they were that affective.

The police, after being freed from the sewers, confront several thousand heavily armed criminals by....walking down the middle of the street towards their defenses??
Batman shows up with his kick ass copter at this point, takes out one of the bad army's tanks....and flies off, leaving the police to face the thousands of machine guns?

Bane, the ultimate remorseless killing machine, won't a gun to take out Batman...and similarly, Batman won't use a gun to take out Bane??
I actually said "FINALLY!!!" when Catwoman showed up and shot Bane. Jeez. Took long enough.

And what was that whole episode towards the end when the good cop is trying to get the school bus across the bridge? What did that have to do with the final showdown?

According to what was said earlier in the story, the bomb had a 6 mile radius.
Batman had...what was it, one minute to get the bomb attached to the copter, fly it out of the city and over the ocean.....getting at least 6 miles away.
That's 6 miles in less than a minute.
Lets be generous here, and give him a minute, and lets say rather than being in the heart of the city, he was at the waters edge...and say the his copter could instantaneously achieve the maximum speed.
That speed would be....360 MPH.
Instantly.

There were many more points that had me shaking my head.
I kept wondering, did they really have to have so many stupid, illogical things in this movie? They should have had a good script editor get involved. I suspect nothing would have been lost by ironing out these idiotic plot points.

Last edited:
@Jeff: my thought is this. It's based on comic books. Like Spiderman, et al, we have to suspend logic and critical thinking. And I was (mostly) able to do so with that in mind.
Pretty epic flick, and I'm not a huge fan of this genre...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Marcel L'Herbier's silent Art Deco masterpiece L'Argent. A loose adaptation of one of my favorite Zola novels. Its a beautiful film to watch and the atmosphere is wonderful.

largent-map.jpg

01.jpg

[video=youtube;zyMqLc3-vQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMqLc3-vQ8[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Creation of the Humanoids. Getting really close to Plan 9 bad. The Kepi civil war hats were a nice bad touch.
:D
Saw this on channel 9 in the sixties and thought it was way cool. Finally tracked it down on DVD about a year ago and was impressed by the ideas behind the basic plot. I was at the same time sort of chagrined to think I used to think the movie was high tech.

The idea of false memories in a non-human sort of sounds like Do Android Dream do Electric Sheep?

Saw this on channel 9 in the sixties and thought it was way cool. Finally tracked it down on DVD about a year ago and was impressed by the ideas behind the basic plot. I was at the same time sort of chagrined to think I used to think the movie was high tech.

The idea of false memories in a non-human sort of sounds like Do Android Dream do Electric Sheep?

As the movie progressed, I was impressed by the plot which was much more developed than the acting. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and didn't get to finish the movie.

Edward

Bartender
The police, after being freed from the sewers, confront several thousand heavily armed criminals by....walking down the middle of the street towards their defenses??

And what was that whole episode towards the end when the good cop is trying to get the school bus across the bridge? What did that have to do with the final showdown?

Obligatory post-9/11 "but aren't the cops / firefighters / ordinary people the real heroes?" schtick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80