Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
His breakthrough picture (in the US, anyway), MONSIEUR HIRE, just came out on DVD, finally. It's a suspense film, and I highly recommend it.

I'm very fond of THE WIDOW OF ST. PIERRE, too, which was out here on DVD but seems not to be now, alas (though it's still available for rental via Netflix).

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I watched "My favourite wife" with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne... I love Cary Grant but I was a bit deceived... In my opinion, not a so great movie!!!A bit too long!!! But still agreable to see Cary Grant lol!!!!!!!!!!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
One more Cary Grant...A semi-annual viewing of Suspicion. I love this movie.

If you haven't read the book this was based on, Before the Fact by Francis Iles, track it down now for a treat--it's incredibly well written.

In fact, I'd highly recommend Malice Aforethought , or anything written by this author (he also wrote as Anthony Berkeley Cox or A.B. Cox).

I have no idea why his work isn't better known, it deserves to be.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Devil's Daughter 1934- It didn't make sense and Nina McKinney did not impress me. I usualy love her but she seemed to be just going through the motions.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'm watching a movie (not very good, far too much operatic singing and not enough plot) called That Midnight Kiss, and there is one character actor who catches my eye: Jules Munshin. I've admired him since I was little and saw Easter Parade--he's the waiter for Astaire and Garland who does the lovely mockery of making a caesar salad. He's soso funny--does anyone know anything about him? Both Wikipedia and iMDB offer very little.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I watched The Quiet Man last weekend - I love Maureen O'Hara's hair in it...

I watched Pleasantville for the first time last night - what great production design, really spot on.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
I watched The Quiet Man last weekend - I love Maureen O'Hara's hair in it...

I watched Pleasantville for the first time last night - what great production design, really spot on.

Pleasantville is one of my favorite movies--The scene in the malt shop where Toby McGuire says "There are some places that the road doesn't go in a circle. There are some places where the road keeps going." really moves me everytime. Great performances, music, sets/costumes. If you have the DVD with the director's commentary it's well worth a listen.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So many of these movies sound so good!

imoldfashioned said:
If you haven't read the book this was based on, Before the Fact by Francis Iles, track it down now for a treat--it's incredibly well written.

In fact, I'd highly recommend Malice Aforethought , or anything written by this author (he also wrote as Anthony Berkeley Cox or A.B. Cox).

I have no idea why his work isn't better known, it deserves to be.
Thank you imoldfashioned my friend. I keep meaning to track Before the Fact down. I did read Malice Aforethought when I ran an antique shop after college and have never forgotten it; it's worth another reading.
The last movie I watched was my annual viewing of Castle of Evil. I love Virginia Mayo.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Quiet Man!

I have always loved John Wayne's Quiet Man!

Sure the Duke will always be remembered for his "Tall in the Saddle" image. However The Quiet Man will always be one of my all time movie favorites. Not to mention the perfect pairing of the Duke with the lovely Moureen O'Hara!!

"Here you go sir... A nice stick for beating the young lady!"

"thanks..."

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I have a "new" old movie for tonight, has anyone seen "Pickup on South Street" with Richard Widmark? I'm looking forward to it.

Great film noir. There is a superb critical chapter on it in Jack Shadoian's book Dreams and Dead Ends.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
I have always loved John Wayne's Quiet Man!

Sure the Duke will always be remembered for his "Tall in the Saddle" image. However The Quiet Man will always be one of my all time movie favorites. Not to mention the perfect pairing of the Duke with the lovely Moureen O'Hara!!

"Here you go sir... A nice stick for beating the young lady!"

"thanks..."

I just finished reading Maureen O'Hara's autobiography where she talks extensively about making The Quiet Man and about her close friendship with John Wayne. I'm really looking forward to watching it. :)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
300...i am soooooooo buying that film...one of the ultimate action films eveeeerrrrrr...like The Gladiator which i think i'm going to go watch now...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
SamMarlowPI said:
300...i am soooooooo buying that film...one of the ultimate action films eveeeerrrrrr...like The Gladiator which i think i'm going to go watch now...

This was an amazing film. Probably not terribly historically accurate, but very entertaining nonetheless! What amazes me is that the actors got into such terrific shape for the movie - and they did it the old fashioned way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles