Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Quiet Man

Finally had a chance this evening to watch The Quiet Man.

I love the chemistry between John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. It was such a wonderful movie. Left me with a happy glow inside. :)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
This was an amazing film. Probably not terribly historically accurate, but very entertaining nonetheless! What amazes me is that the actors got into such terrific shape for the movie - and they did it the old fashioned way.

they sure did...Gym Jones private gym...i'd sure like to go there...

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Hey AmGal!!

What's the chance you can give a simple synopsis of what our dear Ms. O'hara, said about her experience??

Thanks and hope you enjoyed the movie!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
What's the chance you can give a simple synopsis of what our dear Ms. O'hara, said about her experience??

Thanks and hope you enjoyed the movie!

LOVED the movie. :)

According to her autobiography, O'Hara and John Ford worked on the story for The Quiet Man for years. It was a project very near and dear to their hearts. Since Ford was also of Irish descent, the two would sometimes converse in Gaelic, although it was just a bunch of nonsensical words - they did it to fool other people.

I'm trying to remember some of the other stuff she said about the movie - oh yes. Apparently John Ford was sending O'Hara love letters and he addressed them to her character in The Quiet Man, Mary Kate. She now believes that this was a sort of way he was trying to understand the character of Mary Kate, but if you ask me, after reading those letters, I think Ford was obsessed with O'Hara, and not Mary Kate.

At the end of the movie, O'Hara whispers something in John Wayne's ear and Wayne has a startled expression on his face. No one but Wayne, Ford, and O'Hara know what she whispered, and O'Hara has pledged to take whatever it is she said to the grave with her. :)

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

That is so cool... I'm actually kind of choaked up!

I've always loved that movie... probably because it's been a favorite of my mother's and grandmother's.

Thank you for sharing!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched the British flick 'Let Him Have It' (1991). It's the true story of a young, mentally-challenged epileptic man who was hanged for the murder of a police office in 1952, even though he didn't pull the trigger. It caused quite a stir back then because of the injustice. The shooter was a teenage 'gangster' who was basically sent to juvie jail. It seems to me that teenagers are always fascinated by what happened 20 years earlier. Movie gangsters from the 1930s were the trendy thing to imitate (clothing and glorifying Jimmy Cagney characters) by kids in the early 50s.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
That is so cool... I'm actually kind of choaked up!

I've always loved that movie... probably because it's been a favorite of my mother's and grandmother's.

Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome! I actually cried when I read O'Hara's biography - the part where she went to visit John Wayne on his death bed, especially. They had such a beautiful friendship.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched 'Help!' (1965) last night. It's probably the only film to keep a smile on my face for its entire length. Of course it has the best soundtrack, too. :) ...1960s pop culture at it finest.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Wings" (1927), shown last night by TCM, and taped for viewing this morning. Some like to insist that the earliest Best Picture Oscar winners didn't really deserve it, but that's certainly not the case here -- I'd place this second only to The Big Parade in the pantheon of great WW1 films.

The version shown by TCM features an organ score by the wonderful Gaylord Carter, which demonstrates just how beautifully nuanced a well-played theatre organ can be. Highly recommended all around.

That said, though, Clara Bow sure doesn't look or act very 1918ish. She'd have gotten arrested for going around in public in the skirt she has on in the first scene.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:

My husband and I watched our copy again over the weekend. It's one of our favorites!

When I get my copy back from my co-worker, I also plan to watch His Girl Friday again.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
swingtimegal said:
AmateisGal said:

My husband and I watched our copy again over the weekend. It's one of our favorites!

When I get my copy back from my co-worker, I also plan to watch His Girl Friday again.

My husband is a John Wayne fan, but ten minutes into this film, he'd had enough. He likes him in the westerns and the war movies, but not this one.:rolleyes: Foolish man! (my husband, not John Wayne!) ;)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just watched for the second time a modest but quite enjoyable noir called PITFALL (1948), starring Dick Powell as a happily married but restless junior executive in the insurance biz, Raymond Burr as the thug of a former cop he hires to do investigations of claims, and Lizbeth Scott as a not-quite-hardened dame who's seen it all but has managed to hold on to a smidgen of her innocence and positive outlook. Scott's former beau is in the hoosegow after embezzling the funds Powell's in charge of recovering so as to buy her some fancy gifts.

Both Powell and Burr fall for Scott, albeit briefly, in Powell's case, as he comes to his senses and realizes he's putting his marriage at risk.

But Burr doesn't easily take no for an answer, and after roughing up Powell in a fit of jealous rage, he starts filling the jailbird beau's head with overblown tales of Scott's unfaithfulness.

In fact, on the day the beau gets out, Burr meets him at the prison gate, loads him up on cheap hooch and slips him a gun.

Which can't be good news, of course, for Powell, as one thing inevitably leads to another.

This picture boasts snappy dialogue, some nice directorial touches, and strong performances from the three leads (Jane Wyatt delivers nicely, too, as Powell's dedicated and tolerant but still spunky wife).

I think it might be the best work I've seen from Lizbeth Scott. One can't help but wish her been-around-the-block babe would get a fair shake from life (and, mostly, from men) just once.

VM._SX100_SY140_.jpg
HTML:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I usually love Charlie Kaufman and Kate Winslet but I just couldn't get into this one. I'll give it another go since it's the sort of film that is probably completely different when you watch it knowing what the end will be.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
skyvue said:
I just watched for the second time a modest but quite enjoyable noir called PITFALL (1948), starring Dick Powell as a happily married but restless junior executive in the insurance biz, Raymond Burr as the thug of a former cop he hires to do investigations of claims, and Lizbeth Scott as a not-quite-hardened dame who's seen it all but has managed to hold on to a smidgen of her innocence and positive outlook. Scott's former beau is in the hoosegow after embezzling the funds Powell's in charge of recovering so as to buy her some fancy gifts.

Both Powell and Burr fall for Scott, albeit briefly, in Powell's case, as he comes to his senses and realizes he's putting his marriage at risk.

But Burr doesn't easily take no for an answer, and after roughing up Powell in a fit of jealous rage, he starts filling the jailbird beau's head with overblown tales of Scott's unfaithfulness.

In fact, on the day the beau gets out, Burr meets him at the prison gate, loads him up on cheap hooch and slips him a gun.

Which can't be good news, of course, for Powell, as one thing inevitably leads to another.

This picture boasts snappy dialogue, some nice directorial touches, and strong performances from the three leads (Jane Wyatt delivers nicely, too, as Powell's dedicated and tolerant but still spunky wife).

I think it might be the best work I've seen from Lizbeth Scott. One can't help but wish her been-around-the-block babe would get a fair shake from life (and, mostly, from men) just once.

Where did you find it? Not on DVD. PM me if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff