Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Command Decision" with Clark Gable.

Yeah TCM's Memorial Day Marathon's the BEST! This year I caught "Air Force", "Command Decision", "The Devils Brigade" and the tail en of my fave... "They Were Expendable". I own em all 'cept "The Devils Brigade". As there are probably 12 times more movies about WWII than any other conflict... and I grew up on a steady diet of them as a kid, I was in heaven all weekend. The crappy weather didn't hurt either.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Behind the Candelabra, the Liberace thing with Michael Douglas. It kind of makes you want to puke, but so does the real life story. See if you can spot Dan Aykroyd. I couldn't recognize him.

I couldn't finish it. When "Lee" revealed himself clad in nothing but a towel and san's wig... that was it for me. Fascinating... from a "train wreck" point of view but not my idea of "entertainment".

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Watched the end of The Best Years Of Our Lives. Man I get chocked up every time I see Dana Andrews walking through the field, surrounded by P-40 Warhawks, P-36 Airocobras, and rows of B-17s, waiting to be chopped up and melted down, makes me misty eyed! Excuse me, I'm doing it again. [video=youtube;tU0d3DVcKoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY[/video]

Edward

Bartender
Finally saw the recent version of Les Miserables.

Didn't think I'd cry, but, yeah... & I'd like to know whose idea it was to cast Russell Crowe.

Ugh.

Just saw Star Trek Into Darkness and loved it. Some of my favorite moments in the original casts' movies took place on earth and much of this film does. There were some fun and interesting twists and turns and a very breezy pace. The 3-D effect was beautiful and a lot of fun. It's great to see Trek back in its original form with the characters I grew up with. The one thing I really loved is how Starfleet recognizes talent making it possible for a 17 year-old kid to be on the ship. This version really feels like a crew of super talented young people dedicated to a higher ideal. It's also fun that it took two films to get to the beginning of the series.

Also, the film is doing great at the box office. The media is trying to create a negative story about it for some reason, but in eleven days the gross is only $5MM less than 2009's Star Trek and it had the benefit of years of pent up demand and the novelty of a new franchise. This one is also grossing 30% better overseas which means that it may ultimately out gross the original, but even if it doesn't it is doing very well on word-of-mouth and it deserves to. If you're on the fence, see it!

I also saw Brave. What a great kid's film. It is such a better influence than say The Little Mermaid. I really enjoyed it.

I believe this is based on a book (that I have and have not yet read), so I'm thrilled that there is a movie, too. Will have to see if I can watch it here in the States.

True. I thought he did a great job acting, as always. It was just hard to take him seriously singing. Not used to that. lol

I remembered this & thought he had a good voice then, just not the operatic tone needed for Les Mis, apparently. lol

Yeah... He has a background in musical theatre; he did a tour of NZ and Aus as Eddie/Doctor Scott in the Rocky Horror Show, way back. He was well received in that role, though less successful when he filled in for a week as Doctor Frank N Furter. I have heard he struggled with the audience callbacks, being used to quiet respect for him as an artiste.

Behind the Candelabra, the Liberace thing with Michael Douglas. It kind of makes you want to puke, but so does the real life story. See if you can spot Dan Aykroyd. I couldn't recognize him.

Keen to see that. I enjoyed Liberace as a musician, and I have a lot of affection for his libel trial (Liberace v Daily Mirror (1959)). Can't stand Michael Douglas (the slimiest man in Hollywood), but to be fair he comes over well in the trailer, and at least this won't be his usual love letter to the joys of misogyny.

Edward

Bartender
Also, the film is doing great at the box office. The media is trying to create a negative story about it for some reason, but in eleven days the gross is only $5MM less than 2009's Star Trek and it had the benefit of years of pent up demand and the novelty of a new franchise. This one is also grossing 30% better overseas which means that it may ultimately out gross the original, but even if it doesn't it is doing very well on word-of-mouth and it deserves to. If you're on the fence, see it!

In large part due to a friend of mine who has seen it half a dozen times already! I liked it a lot myself.

I also saw Brave. What a great kid's film. It is such a better influence than say The Little Mermaid. I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed that too; most women I know with young daughters are overjoyed to finally have a Disney heroine who doesn't ram home the message that happiness or even a sense of self is rooted in waiting for the perfect man coming along and marrying them.

I believe this is based on a book (that I have and have not yet read), so I'm thrilled that there is a movie, too. Will have to see if I can watch it here in the States.

It is - I'm now going to hunt out the book. The film is really well worth picking up. Very nicely played, not at all ott in any respect. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Resistance-...TF8&qid=1369815376&sr=1-1&keywords=resistance

True. I thought he did a great job acting, as always. It was just hard to take him seriously singing. Not used to that. lol
I remembered this & thought he had a good voice then, just not the operatic tone needed for Les Mis, apparently. lol

Yeah... He has a background in musical theatre; he did a tour of NZ and Aus as Eddie/Doctor Scott in the Rocky Horror Show, way back. He was well received in that role, though less successful when he filled in for a week as Doctor Frank N Furter. I have heard he struggled with the audience callbacks, being used to quiet respect for him as an artiste.

Keen to see that. I enjoyed Liberace as a musician, and I have a lot of affection for his libel trial (Liberace v Daily Mirror (1959)). Can't stand Michael Douglas (the slimiest man in Hollywood), but to be fair he comes over well in the trailer, and at least this won't be his usual love letter to the joys of misogyny.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Had the house to myself at the weekend, so i watched:

'Trouble in Paradise'
'Von Ryan's Express'
'Haxan'

and

'Gone With the Wind'. Somehow I had reached the age of 47 and never seen more than a couple of minutes of 'GWTW'. A very short review: Over rated. A not so short review: Overlong and over rated.

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
'Blow Out' The fantastic new Blu Ray transfer (from Arrow) supervised and approved by director Brian De Palma .... which is such a good film; complete with some superb extras.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Intouchables" - C+ - Fun, bright, airy in a classic Hollywood sort of way. Not exactly "My Man Godfrey" but it'll do in a pinch. Good performances, crackling script and well acted. You could do worse.

Worf

The Dictator :p

220px-The_Dictator_Poster.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
White Hunter, Black Heart - Clint Eastwood's 1990 film where he plays a thinly disguised John Huston preparing to direct The African Queen. A very interesting flick, if not entirely successful. It was on TCM following an excellent new documentary about Eastwood's directing career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24