Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Fireman Save my Child" & "Elmo the Great" ...two Joe E. Brown comedies from the 1930s.

I mostly enjoy the scenes of the way things looked back then. Like watching Norman Rockwell
paintings . Cars,clothes, music & neighborhoods of the time make me feel good. Reminds me of my youth.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A real sleeper, Madison. About the 1971 Gold Cup Hydroplane boat race in Madison, Indiana. The only city in the world to have their own Unlimited Hydroplane racer, The Miss Madison. This was in the days of the front engine airplane V-12 engines. The Thunder Boats. Great sound, even if the facts are off! I am surprised Budweiser allowed their name to be used on the Miss Budweiser, and driven by the villon! [video=youtube;rrSN8jcFuN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSN8jcFuN8[/video]

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Petulia with George C Scott and Julie Christie.
What a weird movie that was.
Complete with cameos from the grateful dead, and Janis Joplin before she made it really big.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Host. Yes, it is based on Stephanie Meyer's book, but wow, heads and tails above the whole Twilight crap. It was a really well done movie with a good message. Enjoyed it.

Then we tried to watch Die Hard 5. Holy crap. That was some REALLY bad acting. We shut it off after 20 minutes. I'm a huge fan of the Die Hard movies, but they NEVER should have made this one.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We have some friends who have a Home Cinema. My wife and I not only enjoyed a refreshing dip in their pool over the weekend, we all sat down to watch: The Artist. I really enjoyed it, albeit however many years late.
But, I have a question. The heroine, Peppy Miller, has an accident in her car, whereby she drives into a tree.

The film, being in black & white, makes identifying the car less easy. I'm guessing it's a 1935 Cadillac convertable, thus:

Can anyone confirm that?
If it is indeed a 1935 model, then how come that in the film the scene is set at a time when talkies started to replace the silent movies.
The Jazz singer, was credited as the first talkie, debatable, but that's a different argument. The Jazz Singer came out in 1927.
Do you get my drift? 1927, but her car is 1935. Or was the changeover from silent movies a long process?
Or am I just being pedantic and should just shut up?

I'm not positive, but I believe the car in the upper B&W photo is a 1934 model. It's definitely different from the lower picture, note the rear fenders and split windshield in the upper pic. I believe the biggest difference between the two is the front end, which of course isn't visible in the one pic. At any rate, the car in question certainly looks to be about that time frame. I can't speak to the rest of your questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner